PS3 Eulogy

General and high profile video game topics.
Jascott72

PS3 Eulogy

Postby Jascott72 » March 24th, 2020, 5:23 pm

Friends we are gathered here today to mark the passing of my beloved 60GB backwards compatible PS3. It will always be cherished in our hearts.

For we scaled Olypmus and cast out its mighty Gods.
We answered the Call of Duty at home and far away.

We were "crashed" marsupials. We were Solid Snakes. We were crazed clowns in ice cream trucks.

We battled the T and G virus, but not the Corona virus. We were Red Dead gunslingers, we raided tombs, and we explored Uncharted locales.

We rocked on like Guitar Heroes, we dragon punched our way through the streets, we ripped out spines, and brandished our whip through many castles.

Alas, we possess no more continues. And for you my friend it truly is game over.

RIP 2006-2020

Shapur

Re: PS3 Eulogy

Postby Shapur » March 26th, 2020, 2:08 am

So what actually killed it?

I’ve resuscitated mine once and am about to do it again.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 26th, 2020, 3:24 am

A sad day.. Sucks to lose one of the backward compatible models... My Slim is still going strong; played it tonight. Just started Asura's Wrath; seems promising so far.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » March 26th, 2020, 7:26 am

There's some hope at AtariAge that a cap kit is all that's needed to fully fix the common YLOD problem with backwards compatible PS3 models. So might be worth sticking it on a shelf and waiting to see what happens.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/29808 ... /#comments

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 26th, 2020, 10:17 am

Never fun when a much used, loved piece of hardware passes. At least the PS3 is able to be augmented with other systems (PSX, PS2, etc.); the same cannot be said for other systems that die off, such as the Jaguar CD, Amiga CD32, Sega CD, etc...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 26th, 2020, 9:26 pm

I remember when I got my first PS3. My friend Scott found it in a store and called to ask if I wanted it and I said yeah. I think it was $600. That thing was a beast - a cross between Dark Vader and a baby grand piano. So many cool ports on that thing, 90% of which I never used.

Of course, the gameplay was suspect. Some of the game required installation, which was a first, and it was awful. In addition the controllers were lacking rumble and the "six axis" motion control was a joke.

There were some fun games however and the graphics and sound were good, although I couldn't tell the difference between the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Almost forgot its Blu Ray capability was a big deal! Ultimately the thing broke and I replaced it with the middle model. I recently gave the original away to my nephew and I think he was able to get it working again.

My PS3 still serves as my main Blu Ray player. It's got a great Bluetooth remotely that doesn't require pointing.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 27th, 2020, 10:29 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I remember when I got my first PS3. My friend Scott found it in a store and called to ask if I wanted it and I said yeah. I think it was $600. That thing was a beast - a cross between Dark Vader and a baby grand piano. So many cool ports on that thing, 90% of which I never used.

Of course, the gameplay was suspect. Some of the game required installation, which was a first, and it was awful. In addition the controllers were lacking rumble and the "six axis" motion control was a joke.

There were some fun games however and the graphics and sound were good, although I couldn't tell the difference between the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Almost forgot its Blu Ray capability was a big deal! Ultimately the thing broke and I replaced it with the middle model. I recently gave the original away to my nephew and I think he was able to get it working again.

My PS3 still serves as my main Blu Ray player. It's got a great Bluetooth remotely that doesn't require pointing.

I forgot about the SixAxis controller! Still better than the Batarang controller, which always made me think of one of the 3rd party PSX controllers that used to be in every GamePro issue...

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » March 27th, 2020, 8:47 pm

That was a beautiful eulogy to read! Of course I've had systems die on me before, and my original beloved C64 and collection of disks ended up "lost to the ages", but I never thought to pen such a heart felt salute to any of them before. I completely commiserate with what you're expressing for your trusty old PS3!!

"Gone, but never forgotten..."

Return to “Video Games General”