NBA2k20 on TV

General and high profile video game topics.
djc

NBA2k20 on TV

Postby djc » March 26th, 2020, 12:25 am

So here's one for you that I guess is video game related.

Given the fact that all professional sports have been cancelled due to the Corona virus outbreak, I was surprised to see a NBA game on tonight while flipping through channels. It was being broadcast on NBC Sports Philly and upon closer review of the program guide, I realized it was a NBA 2k20 simulation that was being played out on TV as if it was a real game. They even had real analysts providing feedback (from their homes) during half-time.

It was a pretty surreal experience to see it being treated as a legit live game but I guess it certainly scratches the itch for live sports instead of replays of older games. They even had another simulation game playing on a different NBC Sports channel.

TheEagleXIII

Re: NBA2k20 on TV

Postby TheEagleXIII » March 26th, 2020, 7:34 am

Was it a CPU vs CPU match or two actual players? For some reason I imagined the former, but these days it would probably be more common for two eSports players to have a televised game.

Oddly, I find the whole concept of eSports in general more ludicrous than a major network like NBC airing a full AI simmed game of NBA2K left to play out on live on TV.

Voor

Postby Voor » March 26th, 2020, 4:06 pm

NASCAR did a similar thing, but with real drivers. It was pretty successful, and they plan to do it again.

djc

Postby djc » March 26th, 2020, 8:42 pm

TheEagleXIII wrote:Was it a CPU vs CPU match or two actual players? For some reason I imagined the former, but these days it would probably be more common for two eSports players to have a televised game.

Oddly, I find the whole concept of eSports in general more ludicrous than a major network like NBC airing a full AI simmed game of NBA2K left to play out on live on TV.

It was CPU vs. CPU and actually flowed pretty well. If you weren't paying attention, you'd easily think it was a live game because of how well the presentation is with 2K20. I just admire the overall ingenuity. Thinking about it you probably could simulate an entire season and have it play out. The live analysts during half time were kind of hokey though talking about how the changes the coaches will need to make in the second half, etc...

Edit: tonight they did hockey simulations using EA NHL 20. The main difference was having live commentary vs. the in-game commentary (probably due to EA's commentary being trash).

Return to “Video Games General”