You Have to Go Online

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: You Have to Go Online

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 10th, 2020, 11:25 am

Retro STrife wrote:But I think the average gamer thinks about the present and the future, and could care less about the past.
With a forum like this, with more retro gamers and collectors, there's just a completely different perspective more rooted in considering the past too.

Retro makes a great point even I tend to forget about.

My understanding of video games covers a broad spectrum, from the late 1970's through today. I've lived through it all and I have an appreciation for all systems. But I'm not representative of the average gamer.

The standard teenager just wants to play the latest game his friends are talking about - Fortnite or whatever. They have no use for physical media because in six months they know they'll be playing the next big thing that comes along. They don't look back. They see the internet as always-on and free.

There's no right or wrong. We just need to respect the fact that there are different perspectives and try not project our own myopic view onto everybody else.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » April 12th, 2020, 2:29 am

"We can fix it once it's released. Just get the product out the door ". This attitude has led to laziness in my opinion. Developers/publishers often use the excuse
"Games are so big these days that we can't possibly foresee how poorly optimised it is" ....
Oh look 1 day after release the game gets a huge patch fixing loads of stuff!
Are games really that much more complex than titles released 20 years ago??? The graphics certainly are but many titles are similar to what we were playing on the dreamcast or playstation 2. I can understand patches for MMORPG's and the like but that's a different beast!

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » April 13th, 2020, 8:07 am

I was going to but Mortal Kombat 11 for the switch until I heard that a vast majority of the game is online only. I’m a huge fan of the series, and you can still play the game offline, but you can’t access most of the features unless you go online.
When you play offline, you won’t be earning any rewards, which is most of the reason to keep playing.

This happened to me while I was playing races in Crash Team Racing: Nitro Fueled on a car ride, and realized I wasn’t earning any rewards. I had to be connected to the internet.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » April 13th, 2020, 9:05 am

Return to “Video Games General”