To forgive or not to forgive?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

To forgive or not to forgive?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 8th, 2020, 11:19 am

I'd be surprised if any of you haven't heard of the huge debacle concerning No Man's Sky when it released years ago. The developer, Hello Games, promised that their game would have several features that were conspicuously missing. Most notably, they promised that their game was going to be massively multiplayer, but the universe was so huge that you'd probably never actually see another player--disproven on day one when two players landed at the same spot on the same planet and the other wasn't there.

But since then, Hello Games has put in a lot of work to add in all the features they promised it would launch with, plus a few extras, all as free dlc. Apparently, the game is actually worth playing now, almost unrecognizable compared to how it was when it first came out.

So what's your take on this? Do you continue to boycott the developer to punish them for lying to their audiences, or do you forgive them after they give you what they promised years after they initially promised it?

Personally, I'm not comfortable with the idea of buying something from a company that outright lies to its consumers. With so many game companies trying to find ways to take advantage of us with things like loot boxes and micropayments, what message do you think they'll take away when we show them we'll give them our money for something that isn't even what they advertised?

velcrozombie

Re: To forgive or not to forgive?

Postby velcrozombie » April 8th, 2020, 12:32 pm

I guess I'd personally give them the benefit of the doubt since they've continued to work on the game for years since then, although I'd understand if you didn't (and hey, you could just buy the game used and enjoy it without them seeing a cent - have your cake and eat it too). I don't know the reality of the situation, but if they were willing to put the time in to fix it then I imagine they were probably stuck in a deal where the game had to come out by a certain date no matter what (which is a story I've heard time and time again over the last few years). I may be giving them too much credit, though.

I wish I didn't have to say this, but never preorder or buy a game day-one - unless it's a Kickstarter situation with a small developer you believe in and you're willing to take the financial risk or maybe an independent studio who has proven themselves repeatedly in the past. Wait for reviews from people you trust or watch enough footage to make up your own mind.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 8th, 2020, 12:57 pm

Yeah, I think they redeemed themselves. They could have done nothing and just said “sorry! Our bad!” Think of all the awful retro games that exist. You got a crappy game, and had to BUY the sequel to see if they made improvements. But they seemed to want to right the wrong and did it for free.

I agree that it seems like a deadline issue. Obviously they were capable of creating these features, but didn’t have time.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 8th, 2020, 1:12 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Personally, I'm not comfortable with the idea of buying something from a company that outright lies to its consumers. With so many game companies trying to find ways to take advantage of us with things like loot boxes and micropayments, what message do you think they'll take away when we show them we'll give them our money for something that isn't even what they advertised?

Yes, a small team slaving away on a game for years after everyone gave up on it is not only comparable to EA but something that EA gives enough of a s*** about to take a "message" from.
Last edited by Stalvern on April 8th, 2020, 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 8th, 2020, 1:20 pm

Voor wrote:I agree that it seems like a deadline issue. Obviously they were capable of creating these features, but didn’t have time.

I disagree. If that were the case, they could have avoided the mountain of bad press they got just by saying "Hey, the game won't have these things at launch but we're going to patch them in for free later." It makes no logical sense why they wouldn't do that, unless they never intended to do that at all and only did because (and I'm just going out on a limb here) they could have been sued for false advertisement otherwise. They even went completely dark for several months right after release, conveniently just as all the complaints started coming in.

Again, if this was their plan all along, it makes no sense why they would go about things this way when just explaining things would have fixed everything.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » April 8th, 2020, 1:24 pm

You're right. Nobody's ever bitten off more than they could chew.

You're trying to present these people as grifters, but grifters wouldn't in a million years put in the continuous work that this team has to make their game worth playing. They didn't take the money and run.

Tron

Postby Tron » April 8th, 2020, 6:19 pm

I won’t not buy a game to boycott bogus business practice, but I will be sure to buy it secondhand. I’m just about ready to buy Call of Duty WW2 now that it’s almost worthless.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 8th, 2020, 6:59 pm

No Man's Sky is definitely the biggest example of this in recent years... maybe ever. I haven't played it, but it sounds much better in its improved form. Final Fantasy XV pops to mind too as a game that made incredible improvements for free after launch to address fan concerns. For both those games, fans have said the improvement is like night and day.

Generally I like to give these developers the benefit of the doubt. So many developers release a shoddy game and never do anything to fix it. Here, they're trying their best to fix it for free. And for what benefit to them? All the negative reviews are already out there, and by the time you fix the game it's largely forgotten by most gamers and the press. So they're putting money into improving it that they'll never get back. Maybe the only way they can financially justify it is by thinking that they're winning back customer goodwill with these fixes, and then they'll reap the financial reward by eventually releasing a "Definitive Edition" or sequel that gets much better reviews.

But forced deadlines suck, and that might have been a factor. Or, if your budget is about to run dry, sometimes you have to release an inferior product to start bringing in income. The alternative might have been to push forward and risk going out of business and canceling the game when they can't pay employees anymore.

Return to “Video Games General”