Best Console Design Decisions

General and high profile video game topics.
Lucifixion

Re: Best Console Design Decisions

Postby Lucifixion » April 20th, 2020, 4:12 pm

Retro STrife wrote: My recollection is that the controller had a battery compartment and, for an extra cost (like $20), you could buy a separate recharging kit that added a rechargeable battery. So it's a dicey area. Hard to call it a good design when it required a separate purchase, but also heard to credit the PS3 when it wasn't doing anything too novel either. Wireless controllers were around since the Atari 2600, but just took til the 2000s for the technology to be practical.

XBox 360 controllers, for all I've owned and seen, come with a battery compartment for 2AA. Personally, I found that the controllers ate standard Duracell or Energizer alkaline batteries pretty quickly (circa 15-20 hours). I considered buying a rechargeable battery pack or two, but got burned previously buying some Nyko Wii controller battery packs that lasted several charges before failing to provide power for more than an hour or two. Nickel Cadmium batteries are awful, and for the few (third party of course) battery packs available, they usually didn't advertize what type of cell they used. My Wii and Wii U still see a fair amount of use, and my solution was to buy rechargeable alkaline AA batteries. They have been charged maybe 3 times for the 4 pair over the last several months since I purchased them, which is better than a lot of cheaper disposable alkaline batteries. Ultimately, I'm still a fan of the rechargeable lithium ion batteries used in PS3 controllers. I'm at the point now where my 2006 Sixaxis controller is only holding a charge for 8-10 hours of use, sadly. My guess is it's been charged nearly 1000 times. Highly debatable feature, the battery pack inclusion.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 20th, 2020, 6:22 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
Voor wrote:No love for the SNES eject button? Geez...

Hell I forgot my SNES HAD an eject! I don't think I've used it once!

Weirdo.

Didn't you read the user manual front to back? <kidding>

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » April 20th, 2020, 6:46 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
Voor wrote:No love for the SNES eject button? Geez...

Hell I forgot my SNES HAD an eject! I don't think I've used it once!

I always use my snes eject button. I love the thing.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 27th, 2020, 3:02 pm

One feature I was going to add to my Best Designs page was the Xbox One suspect/resume function. For most games I've played, when I shut down and restart the console it immediately picks up where I left off in the game. I think this is also available for the PS4 but in my experience the Xbox One does it better.

The thing is, while I was looking up the official name for this feature (I don't know there is one) I noticed a lot of people complaining about how erratic it was. Apparently there were extended periods of time when it didn't work at all? So now I'm starting to wonder if I should really include it, because while it's a great concept it's quite possible Microsoft botched it.

Thoughts??

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » April 27th, 2020, 6:34 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:One feature I was going to add to my Best Designs page was the Xbox One suspect/resume function. For most games I've played, when I shut down and restart the console it immediately picks up where I left off in the game. I think this is also available for the PS4 but in my experience the Xbox One does it better.

The thing is, while I was looking up the official name for this feature (I don't know there is one) I noticed a lot of people complaining about how erratic it was. Apparently there were extended periods of time when it didn't work at all? So now I'm starting to wonder if I should really include it, because while it's a great concept it's quite possible Microsoft botched it.

Thoughts??

Throw it in. I think the suspend function works great. Just don't open up another app and it will take you right back to the last thing you were in.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 27th, 2020, 9:00 pm

Can we do Portables? If so, I think the GBA SP has amazing design. Clamshell, compact, sleek, backlight (even nicer on the 101 models). I think it’s their best designed portable.

tREVdesigns

Postby tREVdesigns » April 28th, 2020, 11:01 pm

- Fairchild Channel F cartridge slot. The first one. A slot that would dominate consoles the next 15+ years.
- Intellivision 16-bit processor. Forward thinking before the era.
- Neo Geo home version. Real arcade hardware in a console in 1990.
- Xbox Ethernet port. To cater in the broadband era. The Critic might not go for this one.
- PS3 HDMI port. Clean HD video and multichannel audio over 1 cable. Best port Ever.

- Atari 2600 Paddles. Allowed 4 player Video Olympics madness.
- Intellivision Numeric Pad. Games could evolve past the one red button.
- Another +1 to Xbox 360 controllers. The offset analog sticks and overall design is so comfortable.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » June 29th, 2020, 9:21 am

One thing that popped into my head to me is a weird one, but it's cool. A SEGA Genesis controller will work on an Atari 2600! Just thinking about this, it's really surprising to me that this works. For one thing, the Atari 2600 came out in 1977 in North America, and the Genesis came out more than a decade later. Also, Atari and Sega aren't even the same company, so it's really interesting to me how that works.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 29th, 2020, 9:37 am

CharlieR wrote:One thing that popped into my head to me is a weird one, but it's cool. A SEGA Genesis controller will work on an Atari 2600! Just thinking about this, it's really surprising to me that this works. For one thing, the Atari 2600 came out in 1977 in North America, and the Genesis came out more than a decade later. Also, Atari and Sega aren't even the same company, so it's really interesting to me how that works.

I also found this interesting so I looked it up
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atari_joystick_port

Turns out that Atari joystick port turned into a defacto standard used by several companies up until the mid-90's. I had Atari computers all through those years (including Atari ST) and it was great to be able to use any Atari 2600 joystick, since they were so ubiquitous. The Wico bat was a fav, but I also had an Epyx.

I guess if any company deserves credit for this "design decision" it would be Atari for coming up with it.

scotland

Postby scotland » June 29th, 2020, 6:40 pm

9 pin D-Subs are still used, but I think serial connectors are finally obsolete.

Its really annoying in some microcomputers in that they use the same plug, but different pinouts, so you need an adapter or have to use whatever they sell. I think my TI99 is like that. Silly, but Nintendo believes in that sort of thing too.

Atari probably made it the standard, but I don't recall if they invented it. There was a staggering number of Pong consoles, many with cabled controllers, such as the Odyssey 4000.

Return to “Video Games General”