Making the site easier to read?

General and high profile video game topics.
TheEagleXIII

Re: Making the site easier to read?

Postby TheEagleXIII » May 17th, 2020, 3:22 am

Stalvern wrote:Putting anything behind text makes it harder to read, not easier. Nothing but black has any business being there

I just realised I took this for granted - using white text on black is itself already a good choice. I didn’t really notice before because I always use ‘dark mode’ on any site I can - even on a desktop - but it’s a surprisingly popular choice amongst users on other sites. Reddit, YouTube, even iPhone now comes with the option of setting it up in a dark mode.

But it’s not a default setting, and even on the websites that’s do offer it I still have to reselect it every single time if I’m not logged in.

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that here it’s actually already a conscious design choice opposed to just a default/generic option or an alternative.

Stalvern wrote:Multiple people have mentioned the text as being a harsh white, but it's the same muted blue as on the forums.

And somehow most of us completely missed this. That probably says even more about the subtle effectiveness of the layout already. :lol:

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 17th, 2020, 8:32 am

tREVdesigns wrote:The reviews would be easier to read with slightly more line spacing and paragraphs to break up the continuous block of text. I find it distracting when the text size changes when the Read More is clicked, I always find myself losing the place where I left off. My personal preference would be not to wrap the text below the image, but keep it in one column. The sudden line length change mid paragraph hinders readability.

The text size should NOT change size when you press Read More. If anybody is having this issue they should let me know what browser they are using so I can try to fix this!

noah98

Postby noah98 » May 17th, 2020, 9:04 am

The color behind the text hurts my eyes. It might because I'm reading mobile on my ipad though.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 17th, 2020, 10:10 am

Okay I've been trying to take into account everybody's feedback, and this is what I came up with:

https://videogamecritic.com/360fj.htm?e=82968#rev5335

The font is slightly bigger and the spacing is bit better. I replaced the bright blue gradient with a dull green, which I hope is less intrusive.

Keep the feedback coming. I want to get this right!

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » May 17th, 2020, 3:41 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:
tREVdesigns wrote:The reviews would be easier to read with slightly more line spacing and paragraphs to break up the continuous block of text. I find it distracting when the text size changes when the Read More is clicked, I always find myself losing the place where I left off. My personal preference would be not to wrap the text below the image, but keep it in one column. The sudden line length change mid paragraph hinders readability.

The text size should NOT change size when you press Read More. If anybody is having this issue they should let me know what browser they are using so I can try to fix this!

I run across this on my Samsung phones when you do your seasonal or themed reviews. The condensed portion will be small to the point where I need to zoom in
to read, but will resume typical mobile version size once I hit read more.

GTS

Postby GTS » May 17th, 2020, 4:05 pm

I think you are heading in the right direction, but I suggest you try coloring every other row, even so slightly.

Stripes basically. If not behind the text, then have small stripes at the end of each line.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 17th, 2020, 6:03 pm

So the text-size-changing bug is limited to the seasonal themed pages and doesn't happen on the main review pages?
If so, that will help me narrow it down.

PS: Are you using a mobile device? I have a feeling you're seeing the normal web site on your phone. The site should automatically detect and send you to the mobile site.

Rainking720

Postby Rainking720 » May 17th, 2020, 6:10 pm

For what it's worth, the (blueish?) text on the dark green background seems REALLY hard to read to me.

Marriott_Guy

Postby Marriott_Guy » May 18th, 2020, 10:02 am

I, too, am not a fan of the gradient alternating BG for the text. It is more difficult to read and makes the page look overly busy. That said, I do like the increased font size and line spacing. I am working on a suggestion, but have a few questions:

- Community - how often do you you utilize the "If you like this game, try:..."
- Dave - Do you have stats for how often people click on suggested games from the question above?

Thanks Dave for continually working to make VGC better for all.

Terry

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 18th, 2020, 11:34 am

That's for the continuing feedback guys.

I get the impression people like the increased text size (if they even noticed) but not the gradient. So I'm trying a new approach.

If you do a shift-refresh you should see it:
https://videogamecritic.com/arcadiaal.h ... 84#rev5337

Instead of the fading colors, I inserted a narrow green line between every five lines or so. I divides the text but doesn't force you to read blue on green. Give it a try and let me know what you think. I applied it to the mobile site too.

Return to “Video Games General”