Making the site easier to read?

General and high profile video game topics.
tREVdesigns

Re: Making the site easier to read?

Postby tREVdesigns » May 20th, 2020, 11:24 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:tREV - thanks for verifying this, but I'd still like to fix it. The site is supposed to redirect to the mobile site for small devices, but I think the ipad falls into a hazy area.

Yeah the iPad does fall into a gray area if it isnt specifically called for by the site. The viewport is only 768 in portrait orientation and 1024 in landscape.

I think I found the issue: Your website desktop theme has a strict meta viewport content width value of 990 (<meta name="viewport" content="width=990">), hence scaling the text down within a div with a defined height. Once the Read More is clicked that parent div doesnt have a defined height and the text becomes the larger size. I did a test and the text is ok in landscape orientation because the viewport width is above 990.

A better way to define a viewport is <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" /> which covers everything and takes care of itself. But this wont work on the desktop theme for the site (it will horizontal scroll) since there is a fixed width value on the #wide_black div of 990px, That would have to be a percentage.

Hope this helps.

Voor

Postby Voor » May 21st, 2020, 12:33 pm

ActRaiser wrote:Dave, my friend, I think you need to consider adding paragraphs with actual spacing between the paragraphs and not just identions.

I get you love the idea of quick hits. But, in my humble opinion these reviews are no longer quick hits when they extend and wrap around the picture and keep going and going. I love to read them but they are challenging.

This is what I was going to say. The reviews are getting longer, and I’ve noticed that if it’s a game I’m particularly interested in, I don’t mind, but if not, I don’t read them.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 21st, 2020, 2:50 pm

tRevDesigns - I'm a little confused. You suggested new meta code but said it won't work with the desktop version?

tREVdesigns

Postby tREVdesigns » May 21st, 2020, 5:22 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:tRevDesigns - I'm a little confused. You suggested new meta code but said it won't work with the desktop version?

Yes, because there is a fixed width of 990px on the #wide_black div, this div isnt present in the mobile theme. It would have to be changed to a percentage or viewport width for <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" /> to properly work.

Not knowing how the entire site templates are constructed, using <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1" /> might be a bigger deal to implement than to keep what is currently there and work around that.

Return to “Video Games General”