Graphics vs Gameplay?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Graphics vs Gameplay?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 18th, 2020, 11:22 am

I've always been (and still am) in the "gameplay is more important than graphics" camp, but recently I heard an argument that made me rethink that stance. Basically, it's that since these game companies are making new consoles every few years that they insist are better than the old ones, and then forcing us to buy them for multiple hundreds of dollars by not making games for the old consoles anymore, are we really getting our money's worth if we end up playing games on it that could have been run just fine on our old consoles?

So yeah, I'll always take good gameplay and story over graphics, but I think it's also fair to hold these game companies to their word. They're the ones who insisted that this new hardware was essential, so they should have to provide games that live up to their promises.

What do you guys think?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Graphics vs Gameplay?

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 18th, 2020, 4:41 pm

There has definitely been the law of diminishing returns at work when it comes to graphics. Are the graphics on the PS5 going to be substantially better than the PS4? Does anybody even care anymore? I mean the most popular game, Fortnite, has cartoon graphics for Pete's sake. I suspect the PS5 is going to focus on other advantages like fast loading, which could be a good selling point, considering in the current gen it takes forever to download/install/update/load a new game.

Voor

Postby Voor » May 18th, 2020, 8:35 pm

Good graphics are nice, but exceptional design is more memorable. On that note, I think the upcoming paper Mario looks astonishing.

jon

Postby jon » May 18th, 2020, 11:09 pm

I'm graphics all the way. But some graphics I like are Gameboy's and primitive 3d (not the major 5th gen players). They appeal to me even though they might not scream beautiful. But I can't play a game if I don't like the graphics.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » May 19th, 2020, 12:16 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I've always been (and still am) in the "gameplay is more important than graphics" camp, but recently I heard an argument that made me rethink that stance. Basically, it's that since these game companies are making new consoles every few years that they insist are better than the old ones, and then forcing us to buy them for multiple hundreds of dollars by not making games for the old consoles anymore, are we really getting our money's worth if we end up playing games on it that could have been run just fine on our old consoles?

Nobody's forcing anyone to buy anything. The games for the old consoles still exist, and there are more of them out there than you will ever play in your life. The Critic has been reviewing multiple fresh games a week for two decades and still hasn't run out. If you don't think the new systems are worth it (they aren't), you are spoiled for choice for alternatives. That's not even getting into the matter of indie games, which are orders of magnitude more interesting than AAA product and involve a fraction of the resources.

DaHeckIzDat wrote:So yeah, I'll always take good gameplay and story over graphics, but I think it's also fair to hold these game companies to their word. They're the ones who insisted that this new hardware was essential, so they should have to provide games that live up to their promises.

I don't quite follow your point. Are you saying that graphics are important because that's the reason to buy a new system? Isn't that putting the cart before the horse? If the only reason to buy a new system is that the new CoD has a hundred million dollars shoveled into its assets instead of fifty million, maybe there are better things to buy.

strat

Postby strat » May 19th, 2020, 12:55 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I suspect the PS5 is going to focus on other advantages like fast loading, which could be a good selling point, considering in the current gen it takes forever to download/install/update/load a new game.

I find the load times for Bloodstained (as played on vanilla PS4) to be abysmal but also inconsistent. Symphony of the Night (PS1) didn't make you wait through all these random loading seams.

Graphics vs. Gameplay - The way a game looks is part of the overall design. If Zelda had green squares instead of bushes, you wouldn't care about cutting them.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » May 19th, 2020, 10:17 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I've always been (and still am) in the "gameplay is more important than graphics" camp, but recently I heard an argument that made me rethink that stance. Basically, it's that since these game companies are making new consoles every few years that they insist are better than the old ones, and then forcing us to buy them for multiple hundreds of dollars by not making games for the old consoles anymore, are we really getting our money's worth if we end up playing games on it that could have been run just fine on our old consoles?

The new consoles are also new products. While new games will come out on older gen plus newer gen consoles this will not last forever. Does one want to play newer games that are probably only available on said new consoles (and PC but you will need to pay big bucks just to build one that gives a reasonable gaming experience)? Maybe, maybe not. What if two years down the line you see a reasonable gaming library of titles. Will the investment will make sense then? The idea of getting your money's worth is moot.

As for graphics that is always subjective. With rising popularity of 4K TV's the newer consoles will produce a sharper image and match the refresh rates of the TV/Monitor. That might be enough reason for the majority that wish to adopt the new console. Once a decent library is established, adoption could be inevitable if most titles are not available on current gen systems. Even if one is a naysayer regarding this aspect, if review after review of several new titles on major sites like IGN come out with high scores, you will sooner or later take the bait. Curiosity, the cat, and $500 balance on credit card....

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » May 19th, 2020, 12:24 pm

Nice graphics can draw you in and get you immersed. Good gameplay keeps you there. If a classic game has really, really good gameplay, say Panzer Dragoon 1+2, (Haven't played Saga yet...) then the ugly early 3d doesn't really bother me.

There are of course games like Virtua Fighter 2 and FF8 that are good looking still today. But those were 10/10 graphics games back then so they've held up as the best of that generation.

In other points I agree with the Critic on diminishing returns with graphics. I know people will complain about the switch vs the ps4 graphics, but I think the switch looks great. So do my 360 games. Portal 2 looks good today on my PS3 just like it did years ago. (Say "Apple...." no you jumped again....) Anyway, gameplay over graphics I suppose. To be a little wordy.

Nevermind

Postby Nevermind » May 19th, 2020, 1:39 pm

It is Gameplay every day of the week. They are video GAMES. Without gameplay you might as well watch a film. I think the interest in retro consoles and titles is about more than simple nostalgia. Players are yearning for gameplay; inferior graphics are not a huge barrier. You can add Minecraft to Fortnite on the list of ‘Why do my kids play that?' It looks awful, but, I guess it is good to play (I refuse to engage with Minecraft).

Broadly the same argument could be extended to the world of board games. Each year the manufacturers try and push a new load of shiny, plastic tat. It’s bought, played once and forgotten. We then get out the classics - monopoly, uno, a pack of cards and connect four.

Return to “Video Games General”