Mobile Page Update

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Mobile Page Update

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 2nd, 2020, 5:26 pm

One of my Patreon supporters suggested I place my Patreon page link on the mobile page, since that's probably what the bulk of my readers are now using.

https://www.patreon.com/videogamecritic

While adding that I noticed an ad was still being displayed on the main mobile page! I removed those ads months ago but I guess I had missed that one. So I axed it. This site should be ad free.

I guess the point is, if you see anything wrong with my pages - especially on the mobile side - do not hesitate to bring them to my attention via email or message thread.

I don't look at the mobile side too often, but I am a perfectionist so if you see something that doesn't look quite right I will probably want to fix it.

Thanks -VGC

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Mobile Page Update

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 3rd, 2020, 2:28 pm

The same reader who suggested adding the Patreon link also suggested adding something to the top of the mobile page regarding how many reviews I've written, covering all the platforms.

I think this is a great idea because at first glance, a new visitor might not really appreciate the scope of my work.

If anyone else has any helpful suggestions please don't hesitate. I'm not trying to get rich off this site (no ads) but would like to reach as many people as possible.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » June 3rd, 2020, 6:41 pm

Maybe put Amazon and eBay links next to the Patreon link? Seems like ever since I started to primarily use the mobile site I forget about using those links. Probably wouldn't hurt to have them there as a reminder.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 4th, 2020, 12:11 pm

Good call snakeboy. I will add those too!

Marriott_Guy

Postby Marriott_Guy » June 6th, 2020, 9:06 am

I like the stats that you added to the main page as well. Another suggestion...

Set the target for embedded web links used in forum posts to "_blank" to force them to open up a new tab / window. This is a QOL item (at least for me) but may also keep visitors on your website longer. Just a thought.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 6th, 2020, 10:25 am

I'm PRETTY SURE I added the _blank feature to all my links (so they'd pop up in a new tab), but PLEASE let me know if you stumble upon one that doesn't work that way so I can fix it! Thanks!!

Marriott_Guy

Postby Marriott_Guy » June 6th, 2020, 10:37 am

All external links open in the same window for me in the forums. The main website is fine - amazon / etc. open in a new tab while internal links (i.e. if you like this game, you may like...) open in the same window.

This behavior only occurs on forum posts. Test here : http://www.espn.com.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 6th, 2020, 10:55 am

Terrific suggestion Marriott Guy. I think I fixed it!
Let me know if there are any negative side effects.
Thanks

Marriott_Guy

Postby Marriott_Guy » June 6th, 2020, 10:59 am

Fixed. Thanks Dave!

Marriott_Guy

Postby Marriott_Guy » June 6th, 2020, 11:30 am

One other item to check out. The grade dropdown for the community 'Vote' option on game reviews does not populate - only the default 'C' grade is available. Clicking the dropdown does not provide any other options - it is enabled, but it is like it is not pulling the other grades to populate the other available A+ to F- options.

Using Firefox here.

Return to “Video Games General”