What ever happened to force feedback?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

What ever happened to force feedback?

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 4th, 2020, 10:33 pm

I'm reviewing a PS2 game called Fast and Furious and while the game has serious flaws the controller vibration is remarkable. Whenever you car shifts gear you get this cool vibration that feels like shifting a car gear.

Thinking back, this was around the time (early 2000's) when developers were still exploring this feature. I remember the cool thing about Gran Turismo 2 was how the controller wobbled when you rolled over the grass. I think the PS2 controller had even better feedback.

Then Sony had some kind of legal issue with the PS3 controller and couldn't include vibration in its early model. It seems like it was about that time when developers were losing interest in it.

Now the only feedback we seem to get is that cheap "pager" buzz. I would say it's better than nothing but it's not.

I think this is one example of how older consoles and controllers are superior in some regards.

TheEagleXIII

Re: What ever happened to force feedback?

Postby TheEagleXIII » June 9th, 2020, 3:08 pm

I've always assumed I'd just become desensitised to it. It'd be interesting to go back and experience some of these games with older games with rumble and see if that is the case.

Buttermancan

Re: What ever happened to force feedback?

Postby Buttermancan » June 10th, 2020, 1:42 am

I enjoy force feedback in games. Though subtle it is immersive.
Perhaps developers have gotten lazy over the years.
Nintendo made a big deal about their HD Rumble in the Joycons but has anyone noticed any difference to everything else on the market?

Return to “Video Games General”