Critic, your "favorite" F- game?

General and high profile video game topics.
Retrology

Critic, your "favorite" F- game?

Postby Retrology » July 5th, 2020, 1:54 pm

Yeah I know that's not saying much at all, but out of all the F- games you've reviewed, which game came the closest to being something you'd like?

LoganRuckman

Re: Critic, your "favorite" F- game?

Postby LoganRuckman » July 5th, 2020, 10:15 pm

Or perhaps a game that's so god awful and among the worst of the worst that you can't help but find it charming.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » July 5th, 2020, 10:36 pm

LoganRuckman wrote:Or perhaps a game that's so god awful and among the worst of the worst that you can't help but find it charming.

Never played it, but Plumbers Don't Wear Ties looks hilarious. It barely even qualifies as a video game.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 6th, 2020, 12:30 am

:lol: this concept is a hoot, like fondly recollecting the moments when you depressed the toilet handle and watched in horror as the toilet filled up with water with sheets of toilet paper swirling on top.

This should be a fun thread.

I have never played an F- game, reviewers like the Critic generally do a good job advising one to save money. The closest to an F I have been might have been AO Tennis released recently. Tennis Elbow is a masterpiece in comparison.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » July 6th, 2020, 2:10 am

Plumbers Don't Wear Ties is abysmal as a game, and I'd feel cheated if I paid full price for it. But as an incredibly goofy visual novel, it was a blast -- like watching the kind of movie they'd put on MST3K. My wife and I still quote it to each other.

Of all the Critic's F- reviews (of which there aren't many, maybe a dozen?), Panic! for Sega CD is one where I can say I genuinely enjoyed it, no irony needed. I'm not shocked that the Critic doesn't like it, but I am surprised by the depth of his hatred for it.

I also think Sneak 'n Peek is fine for what it is -- a game to play with either little kids, or drunk friends. With those criteria, it can be amusing.

brendand

Postby brendand » July 6th, 2020, 3:24 am

If you go further and add all F reviewed games out the choice it should add a few more titles to choose from

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 6th, 2020, 8:14 am

Heavy Nova (Genesis) is my go-to for a game that is just awful, and not even the elaborate backstory can keep me going through the uncontrollable slog-fest that is the terrible game play. I can't even say the music is memorable...

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 6th, 2020, 8:17 am

goldenband wrote:Plumbers Don't Wear Ties is abysmal as a game, and I'd feel cheated if I paid full price for it. But as an incredibly goofy visual novel, it was a blast -- like watching the kind of movie they'd put on MST3K. My wife and I still quote it to each other.

Of all the Critic's F- reviews (of which there aren't many, maybe a dozen?), Panic! for Sega CD is one where I can say I genuinely enjoyed it, no irony needed. I'm not shocked that the Critic doesn't like it, but I am surprised by the depth of his hatred for it.

I also think Sneak 'n Peek is fine for what it is -- a game to play with either little kids, or drunk friends. With those criteria, it can be amusing.

Even Brain Dead 13, for as horrible a Dragon's Lair clone as it is, can be enjoyable for the animation and cheesy voice acting. Plumbers Don't Wear Ties... has SOME amusement value, but is far from the worst game ever (though as a game it fails royally). Panic is amusing, until you realize that there is no rhyme or reason to the buttons or jokes, and you can get lost fast, which causes the frustration and boredom to set in.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » July 6th, 2020, 10:24 am

I have never played an officially "F-" game, but I've had plenty of "fun" with James Bond: The Duel on Genesis. That's likely due to being a big Bond fan rather than anything the game does. The "F" grade is spot on - I'm the antithesis of a speenrunner, but even I can finish the entire game in about 25 minutes.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 6th, 2020, 10:26 am

Is there any easy way to list them besides going to each system and sorting on grade?

Return to “Video Games General”