Games you want the Critic to review

General and high profile video game topics.
matmico399

Re: Games you want the Critic to review

Postby matmico399 » August 8th, 2020, 3:47 pm

I concur with the Sniper Elite games, esp V2.

Mpls_Vato

Postby Mpls_Vato » October 1st, 2020, 2:19 pm

NES Games:
Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves
Yo! Noid
Strider
Felix the Cat
Kickle Cubicle
Phantom Fighter

Others:
Chew Man Fu (Turbo-Grafx 16)
Captain Quazar (3DO)
Armored Core (PS1)
Mole Mania (GB)
Pokemon The Trading Card Game (GBC)
Yoshi’s Wooly World (3DS)

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 1st, 2020, 9:51 pm

Mpls_Vato wrote:NES Games:
Yo! Noid
Strider
Felix the Cat
Kickle Cubicle
Phantom Fighter

I was a bit surprised to see that the VGC hadn't reviewed Yo! Noid. Only because it's a pretty common and cheap platformer, with bonus points for featuring the old Domino's Pizza mascot. Is it a good game? No, not at all. Does it have the best title of any NES game ever? Absolutely! I don't really know why, but I've always felt like Yo! Noid is my personal favorite title of any video game out there. I've played the game like twice, but the title sticks in my head forever.

Felix the Cat is a hidden gem platformer that's very fun, but very pricey as a result.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 2nd, 2020, 8:11 am

Mpls_Vato wrote:NES Games:
Yo! Noid
Strider
Felix the Cat
Kickle Cubicle
Phantom Fighter

Others:
Chew Man Fu (Turbo-Grafx 16)
Captain Quazar (3DO)
Armored Core (PS1)
Mole Mania (GB)
Pokemon The Trading Card Game (GBC)
Yoshi’s Wooly World (3DS)

Strider for me was a solid B+ game. It's a Metroid style game without being a Metroid style game. If you try to compare against the arcade game it will fall up short, but if you take it as its own game, it's great. I won't turn down reviews for Turbo or 3DO games either! Nice list.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » October 2nd, 2020, 10:03 am

ActRaiser wrote:Strider for me was a solid B+ game. It's a Metroid style game without being a Metroid style game. If you try to compare against the arcade game it will fall up short, but if you take it as its own game, it's great.

I had Strider for the NES as well. I got stuck as a kid and ended up putting the game away for years but once I picked it up again and decided to finish it no matter what I had a good time. Only major problem I can think of is that near the end of the game you end up having to do what feels like the same mission a number of times for story reasons (and the story is actually decent for an NES game).

Mpls_Vato

Postby Mpls_Vato » October 2nd, 2020, 12:53 pm

Strider was the first NES game I purchased after getting my NES as a kid. I remember vividly because we went to Sears to look at games and, beings that I was probably 8 years old at the time, I remember walking over to the video game section of the store (this was back when Sears was a legit store) and being overwhelmed at the huge selection of games. This was compounded by the fact that I had very little knowledge of what games were good or bad or what type of game I was interested in playing. Anyway my price-conscious mother looked through all the titles priced from $30-40 and came across a game with a $5.00 price tag. “How about this game?” she said. “It’s only $5.00, that’s a great price.” That game, was Strider. I remember wondering if the game was priced this low in error. To be honest, the thought hadn’t even occurred to me that maybe the store was trying to get rid of it because it was a bad or unpopular title that was probably collecting dust. So....I went home that day as the proud owner of my first NES game that wasn’t Super Mario Bros. or Duck Hunt. And for this reason I will always have massive nostalgia for this game.

In terms of my own thoughts and opinions of the game, I will withhold them until VGC has a chance to review it ;)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 2nd, 2020, 6:57 pm

You guys just inspired me to pick up a copy of Yo Noid. I'm a sucker for nostalgia and classic 90s pop culture.

I never even knew there was a Strider for the NES!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 2nd, 2020, 7:57 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:You guys just inspired me to pick up a copy of Yo Noid. I'm a sucker for nostalgia and classic 90s pop culture.

I never even knew there was a Strider for the NES!

Strider NES is drastically different, and often derided, yet I found it to be a fun playthru. Given NES limitations and the arcade to console market, I think it turned out well.

Now I want to go play it again, been a while

noah98

Postby noah98 » October 3rd, 2020, 7:42 am

The new Star Wars Squadrons? Although, I imagine he will only play the story mode, not the online multiplayer.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 3rd, 2020, 3:17 pm

I'd be interested to hear his take on Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. It's based on Lord of the Rings, taking place between The Hobbit and Fellowship of the Ring, and features an open world and Batman Arkham-style combat (it was made by the same people and it shows). But the real draw is the Nemesis System, which populates the orc army's ranks with captains that have randomly assigned strengths and weaknesses, meaning that you have to strategize how best to take them down. If they kill you, they get promoted and grow stronger. They also interact with each other, making alliances, dueling, trying to assassinate their enemies, with the victors leveling up afterwards, and you can intervene to push things one way or another. The story isn't anything special, but the basic gameplay loop of gathering intel on orc captains, tracking them down, and then strategically assassinating them is one of the most satisfying I've ever seen.
Just be sure to get it either on the X Box One or PS4, because the PS3 version I played at first barely ran.

Return to “Video Games General”