Games you want the Critic to review

General and high profile video game topics.
lynchie137

Re: Games you want the Critic to review

Postby lynchie137 » February 3rd, 2021, 2:50 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
lynchie137 wrote:@MSR1701 Wow. I didn't even know that Game Boy or Game Gear ports of Samurai Shodown even existed! Are they any good?

The Gameboy port is one of the best fighting games on the platform. And with the new hidden characters, the stylized chibi art, and a high energy soundtrack that plays to the Gameboy's strengths, it's still worth playing today.

It almost feels like a modern indie demake, rather than the kind of by the numbers port the era was notorious for.

The Game Gear port, on the other hand...

It's not bad. It's just that the intended experience doesn't transfer to the Game Gear as easily as Fatal Fury did. The gameplay's reasonably intact, but everything else takes a serious hit. And since this is a game that wants you to really take in the details?

It really hasn't aged well. You'll wonder why you're not playing any other version.

I recently sat down and played the GameBoy port of Samurai Shodown a few days ago. And I gotta say I was pretty surprised with it. Pleasantly surprised, as a matter of fact, considering how bad some of their translations of other 2-D fighters like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat were. But this one does indeed play really well. Probably not quite as well as the SNES version, but good nonetheless.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » February 3rd, 2021, 3:13 pm

lynchie137 wrote:
ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
lynchie137 wrote:@MSR1701 Wow. I didn't even know that Game Boy or Game Gear ports of Samurai Shodown even existed! Are they any good?

The Gameboy port is one of the best fighting games on the platform. And with the new hidden characters, the stylized chibi art, and a high energy soundtrack that plays to the Gameboy's strengths, it's still worth playing today.

It almost feels like a modern indie demake, rather than the kind of by the numbers port the era was notorious for.

The Game Gear port, on the other hand...

It's not bad. It's just that the intended experience doesn't transfer to the Game Gear as easily as Fatal Fury did. The gameplay's reasonably intact, but everything else takes a serious hit. And since this is a game that wants you to really take in the details?

It really hasn't aged well. You'll wonder why you're not playing any other version.

I recently sat down and played the GameBoy port of Samurai Shodown a few days ago. And I gotta say I was pretty surprised with it. Pleasantly surprised, as a matter of fact, considering how bad some of their translations of other 2-D fighters like Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat were. But this one does indeed play really well. Probably not quite as well as the SNES version, but good nonetheless.

Takara typically did well with the ol' Game Boy. 8-)

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » February 4th, 2021, 6:01 pm

@MSR1701 What other Takara games for the Gameboy would you recommend?

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » February 4th, 2021, 6:16 pm

lynchie137 wrote:@MSR1701 What other Takara games for the Gameboy would you recommend?

The Fatal Fury game, Battle Arena Toshinden, King of Fighters 95 are all enjoyable

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » February 5th, 2021, 11:52 pm

MSR1701 wrote:
lynchie137 wrote:@MSR1701 What other Takara games for the Gameboy would you recommend?

The Fatal Fury game, Battle Arena Toshinden, King of Fighters 95 are all enjoyable

Cool. I'll definitely check those out. Thanks. :D

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » February 6th, 2021, 5:43 am

lynchie137 wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:

Cool. I'll definitely check those out. Thanks. :D

You are most welcome!

I need to dig out World Heroes GB and give it a go, I forgot they handled that one as well...

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » February 10th, 2021, 11:21 am

I’d be interested to see updated reviews to SEGAs NFL series on Mega Drive/Genesis. I grew up with Sportstalk NFL 93 but I’ve been wanting to check out the rest of the series for a long time. NFL 94 has a great reputation online but I was surprised to see the VGC review is dated as far back as 2000!

Mainly I’d be interested to see a review for the missed game from the series — NFL 98. Despite the new game engine not going down too well in the Critics reviews for 95 and Prime Time, NFL 98 has a bit of a cult reputation in certain pockets of the internet as being one of the best NFL games on the system — not just the most refined form of the new game engine.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » February 10th, 2021, 11:38 am

There's a thought, the Critic reviewing GB/C Madden games...

On second thought, ick. Aside from Madden 2000 (or was it 2002?), most of the Game Boy/Color Madden games are pretty forgettable...

DotNetWolf

Postby DotNetWolf » February 25th, 2021, 10:55 pm

I know the Critic mentioned to me previously that he has no interest in reviewing Spyro 2 and 3 but now that the remaster trilogy exists I think I would be worth at least checking out.

Other than that, here's some other games I would like to see from you:
- Link's Awakening (Switch)
- Dragon Ball Z Budokai (PS2/GameCube)
- Parappa the Rapper 2 (PS2)
- Tak and the Power of Juju (PS2/GameCube/GBA)
- Astral Chain (Switch)
- Barbie: Explorer (PS1)
- Scooby Doo and the Cyber Chase (PS1)
- Whacked! (Xbox)
- Blinx the Time Sweeper (Xbox)
- Blinx the Time Sweeper 2: Masters of Time and Space (Xbox)
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom (PS2/GameCube/Xbox/GBA)
- Banjo Tooie (N64)
- Super Mario 3D All Stars (Switch) (Better get this one now because both the physical and digital copies will be unavailable to purchase after March 31st)

noah98

Postby noah98 » February 26th, 2021, 8:52 am

I'd like to see the critic review Astral Chain on the Nintendo Switch as well. I've been thinking about picking that one up eventually.

Return to “Video Games General”