Games you want the Critic to review

General and high profile video game topics.
Anchoa79

Re: Games you want the Critic to review

Postby Anchoa79 » July 19th, 2021, 6:59 am

2 classics games for Game Boy:

Super Mario Land 2 and Metroid II: Samus Return

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » July 24th, 2021, 12:19 pm

X-Files: Resist or Serve - PlayStation 2

I don't remember this game being released and see it's one of the games from that era that are going for quite a bit of $$$ right now and was wondering if the game was worth a look

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 24th, 2021, 3:53 pm

LuckyWDFN wrote:X-Files: Resist or Serve - PlayStation 2

I don't remember this game being released and see it's one of the games from that era that are going for quite a bit of $$$ right now and was wondering if the game was worth a look

Wow, there’s a game I never thought would skyrocket! Seems like survival horror in general is really going up in value for some reason. I’m about as big an X-Files fan as they come, so this game was a must-have for me when it came out in 2004, despite it bombing with critics.

The bad news for ya- I suggested this game to VGC last Halloween, and he said he hadn’t seen the show and didn’t plan to review the game. Your far less exciting consolation prize?- I did a reader review of the game in the forums several years back. I tried to do an assessment from the view of both fans and non-fans of the show. Here’s the link:

https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 12&t=12170

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » July 24th, 2021, 8:16 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
LuckyWDFN wrote:X-Files: Resist or Serve - PlayStation 2

Wow, there’s a game I never thought would skyrocket! Seems like survival horror in general is really going up in value for some reason. I’m about as big an X-Files fan as they come, so this game was a must-have for me when it came out in 2004, despite it bombing with critics.

The bad news for ya- I suggested this game to VGC last Halloween, and he said he hadn’t seen the show and didn’t plan to review the game. Your far less exciting consolation prize?- I did a reader review of the game in the forums several years back. I tried to do an assessment from the view of both fans and non-fans of the show. Here’s the link:

https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 12&t=12170

Very helpful! Thank you so much. Crazy how much these games are going up in price. I just sold a green label greatest hits version of Silent Hill on PS1 for over $200 on ebay. It's great to read reviews I trust, like yours & VGC, so I can know what to expect. Much appreciated!

thunderjohn

Postby thunderjohn » August 5th, 2021, 3:02 pm

Black for Xbox og and Bodycount for 360. Shadowman for the DC. Harvest Moon 64, Sin & Punishment and Oggre Battle 64 for N64.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 5th, 2021, 7:18 pm

I vaguely remember not being able to get past the first stage in Shadow Man (DC) but I'll give it another shot.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 6th, 2021, 11:56 am

One of the Neo-Geo Mini units; there seems to be one universal design with about five or so variations of theme (character themes such as Nakururu), with slight game differences between them (I understand the Nakururu version has more Samurai Shodown games than other versions, while other versions have games that were replaced in that version).

The version I have has a nice mix of games, including a variety of shooters, Fatal Fury, Metal Slug and King of Monsters 1 + 2.

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » August 6th, 2021, 3:27 pm

Tecmo Super Bowl for PS1

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » August 19th, 2021, 11:37 pm

I'll chime in on this topic and recommend two spooky pinball games I've been playing lately: Jaki Crush for the Super Famicom and Digital Pinball Necronomicon for the Sega Saturn. Both games are Japanese imports, and both give off major Halloween vibes, with dark-magic subject matter and creepy graphics and sound effects.

Jaki Crush ("Demon" Crush, more or less) is part of the same series as Alien Crush and Devil's Crush, and made by the same developers. It features the same smooth screen scrolling as Devil's Crush but has a slightly more-forgiving difficulty akin to Alien Crush. I like the game quite a bit (as does my cat!) and feel that it's not quite as great as Devil's Crush, but still a much more refined game than Alien Crush - somewhere right in the middle of the two.

Digital Pinball Necronomicon is part of the same series as Last Gladiators, and also by the same developer. It features the same multi-table layout with a similar perspective and graphics, but I feel that the table designs are much more interesting than Last Gladiators, and the sound effects and music are just as good, as well. You can even listen to the game's soundtrack by popping the game disc into your CD player! Always a bonus.

Both games aren't terribly hard to find on the secondhand market, with Jaki being fairly affordable for a Japan-only import. Necronomicon has really started to go up in price, but I think it's worth it. It's one of the most played games in my entire Saturn library, and an absolute go-to when I'm in the mood for some "pick up and play" action - just as pinball should be 8-)

jon

Postby jon » August 20th, 2021, 11:47 pm

LuckyWDFN wrote:Tecmo Super Bowl for PS1

This would be fun to see reviewed. My brother kept beating me after we rented it from Blockbuster and I got so mad. Having said all of that, it's definitely a great game, definitely something different for the PS1.

Return to “Video Games General”