Games you want the Critic to review

General and high profile video game topics.
Mpls_Vato

Re: Games you want the Critic to review

Postby Mpls_Vato » January 12th, 2021, 1:49 pm

I’ve noticed that the VGC is a bit light on PS1 reviews compared to other consoles. It has a huge game library so putting a dent in it would be a tall order. However, I see that some of the most popular games haven’t been reviewed yet. Here are a few I noticed:

Akuji the Heartless
Kagero: Deception 2
Colin McRae Rally 2.0
Devil Dice
Fear Effect 2
Future Cop LAPD
Gex: Enter the Gecko
Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko
Grand Theft Auto 2
In the Hunt
Klonoa
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Mass Destruction
Mega Man X4
Nuclear Strike
Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve 2
Road Rash
Road Rash 3D
Road Rash Jail Break
Silent Bomber
Soviet Strike
Spyro 2: Ripto’s Revenge
Spyro: Year of the Dragon
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2

Lots of RPGs too but I kept those off the list for the most part.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 12th, 2021, 1:56 pm

Mpls_Vato wrote:I’ve noticed that the VGC is a bit light on PS1 reviews compared to other consoles. It has a huge game library so putting a dent in it would be a tall order. However, I see that some of the most popular games haven’t been reviewed yet. Here are a few I noticed:

Akuji the Heartless
Kagero: Deception 2
Colin McRae Rally 2.0
Devil Dice
Fear Effect 2
Future Cop LAPD
Gex: Enter the Gecko
Gex 3: Deep Cover Gecko
Grand Theft Auto 2
In the Hunt
Klonoa
Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
Mass Destruction
Mega Man X4
Nuclear Strike
Parasite Eve
Parasite Eve 2
Road Rash
Road Rash 3D
Road Rash Jail Break
Silent Bomber
Soviet Strike
Spyro 2: Ripto’s Revenge
Spyro: Year of the Dragon
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2

Lots of RPGs too but I kept those off the list for the most part.

Interesting list, shocked that I didn't realize Gex 2 n 3 or MMX4 hadn't been reviewed...

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » January 20th, 2021, 2:07 pm

Cafeman wrote:Xbox360, Enslaved Odyssey to the West
PS4, Horizon Zero Dawn

I really enjoyed both of these sci-fi action adventure games. No review at VGC. Both are future, post-Apocalypse settings with a red-haired female protagonist who has helpful headgear tech. But other than that, the games are quite different.

I still recommend these 2 games to be reviewed. Enslaved is a much shorter and more platformy game, HZD is much more vast with more strategy, story, and rpg elements.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 20th, 2021, 2:36 pm

Majora's Mask.

The 3DS remake was considered a bad port.

It speeds up the time limits for no reason, even if you slow down time. It also hacks the swimming controls to be less playable, and in general has more in common with sloppy romhacks that add an artificial difficulty with no concern at all for how enjoyable the game is for anyone who didn't develop the game.

Would the critic hate the original too? Or might he finally see why it's some people's favorite in the series?

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 20th, 2021, 3:01 pm

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Majora's Mask.

The 3DS remake was considered a bad port.

It speeds up the time limits for no reason, even if you slow down time. It also hacks the swimming controls to be less playable, and in general has more in common with sloppy romhacks that add an artificial difficulty with no concern at all for how enjoyable the game is for anyone who didn't develop the game.

Would the critic hate the original too? Or might he finally see why it's some people's favorite in the series?

Really? Z-MM3D is considered bad?

Mind you, I've never been a fan of MM (the constant time limit hinders my enjoyment, plus a LOT of trial and error without a guide on hand), but I recall trying MM3D and enjoying it slightly more than the original.

Which reminds me, I need to pick up OoT3D, need to give that another shot.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » January 20th, 2021, 3:02 pm

Wildsnake and the SNES port of Samurai Shodown. He reviewed the Genesis port of the game, so it's a little surprising he hasn't got around to reviewing the SNES port yet. As for Wildsnake, it's a pretty cool little puzzle game that came out in the mid 90's. It got good reviews in some of the video game rags back in the day. Particularly Game Players, who gave it an Ultimate Rating (a score over 90%). As said, it's a pretty good little game, and I'd like to see The Critic's take on it...

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 20th, 2021, 3:05 pm

lynchie137 wrote:Wildsnake and the SNES port of Samurai Shodown. He reviewed the Genesis port of the game, so it's a little surprising he hasn't got around to reviewing the SNES port yet. As for Wildsnake, it's a pretty cool little puzzle game that came out in the mid 90's. It got good reviews in some of the video game rags back in the day. Particularly Game Players, who gave it an Ultimate Rating (a score over 90%). As said, it's a pretty good little game, and I'd like to see The Critic's take on it...

Speaking of Samurai Shodown, the Game Boy and Game Gear games. And the Game Boy King of Fighters 95, which had an unlockable appearance of Nakaruru, her first KoF appearance

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » January 20th, 2021, 3:14 pm

@MSR1701 Wow. I didn't even know that Game Boy or Game Gear ports of Samurai Shodown even existed! Are they any good?

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 20th, 2021, 3:30 pm

lynchie137 wrote:@MSR1701 Wow. I didn't even know that Game Boy or Game Gear ports of Samurai Shodown even existed! Are they any good?

I recall the GB version being decent, though I played the KoF game far more. Takara usually did well with their GB fighting games (including Fatal Fury n Battle Arena Toshinden).

The Game Gear, I THINK I played it before, but will have to play again, it has been a while...

Btw, the NGPC version of SS is on the Switch, and is as enjoyable as I recall. Still play Gals Fighters more though (hilarious!)

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » January 21st, 2021, 10:54 am

lynchie137 wrote:@MSR1701 Wow. I didn't even know that Game Boy or Game Gear ports of Samurai Shodown even existed! Are they any good?

The Gameboy port is one of the best fighting games on the platform. And with the new hidden characters, the stylized chibi art, and a high energy soundtrack that plays to the Gameboy's strengths, it's still worth playing today.

It almost feels like a modern indie demake, rather than the kind of by the numbers port the era was notorious for.

The Game Gear port, on the other hand...

It's not bad. It's just that the intended experience doesn't transfer to the Game Gear as easily as Fatal Fury did. The gameplay's reasonably intact, but everything else takes a serious hit. And since this is a game that wants you to really take in the details?

It really hasn't aged well. You'll wonder why you're not playing any other version.

Return to “Video Games General”