Games you want the Critic to review

General and high profile video game topics.
velcrozombie

Re: Games you want the Critic to review

Postby velcrozombie » July 15th, 2020, 8:36 pm

The Usuals:
Hotline Miami (kill everyone in high speed arcade action in woozy 80s pastels - Switch physical version with both games in the series is in the 70 dollar range but cheap digital versions are an option)
The Binding of Isaac (creepy and gross rougelite based on NES Legend of Zelda dungeons - PS4 and Switch physical versions new for 40 dollars)
Shadow Complex (classic Metriodvania with some Metal Gear Solid flavor - physical editon for the PS4 from Limited Run Games is available but pricey in the 60+ dollar range)

Others:
Vanquish
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
(a couple of bonkers action games from the makers of the Bayonetta series - both are available for the PS3/XBox360 used for less than 10 bucks)
Killer7 (bizarre rail-shooter/adventure/horror mash-up with stylized high-contrast graphics from Suda51, maker of No More Heroes and Lollipop Chainsaw - available for the PS2 and Gamecube with the PS2 version being the cheaper of the two in the 20-30 dollar range)
Gremlins 2 (fun and challenging overhead action game for the NES from Sunsoft. Used carts on Ebay in the 20 dollar range)
Bucky O'Hare (colorful late-period NES action platformer in the Mega Man vein from Konami - game is expensive, in the $150-200 range)
WWE All-Stars (Arcade-style wrestling action with cartoonish, larger-than-life character designs. PS3/XBox360 copies are in the 20 dollar range)

LuckyWDFN

Postby LuckyWDFN » July 15th, 2020, 9:23 pm

Atari 8-Bit

M.U.L.E. (I want it to be compared to NES M.U.L.E.)
Captain Beeble
International Karate
Archon II
Rally Speedway
Ghost Chaser

djc

Postby djc » July 16th, 2020, 12:34 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:
sixam wrote:Super Hang-On for Genesis. It is strange that he has never posted a review of the Genesis version. He has reviewed Hang-On for every system except Genesis.

I didn't even know this existed! I need to get a copy and rectify this oversight.

It's actually one of the launch titles and not too bad.

I'd like to see Street Fighter II Champion Edition for the Turbografx 16 (PCEngine) reviewed.

brendand

Postby brendand » July 16th, 2020, 1:55 am

Games on Bandai Wonderswan and Nokia N-Gage both handhelds have some great games definitely amongst the missing worthwhile handhelds that are not currently listed also more Neo Geo Pocket :) obscure handhelds can be good too

VicViper

Postby VicViper » July 16th, 2020, 3:57 am

Red Clash wrote:If you like shmups, system exclusives, anime, hidden gems, and Square Enix, then you'll love Project Sylpheed. The controls are fully customizable after the tutorial, there's a lot of replay value, all the Achievements are offline and fairly easy to obtain, the DLC is currently free, it's a graphics showcase, and will likely never see a re-release on a newer system. Once you get past the first few missions and start building up your fighter the game really picks up, and you can keep all your unlocks into additional playthroughs. There's nothing like managing to kill an entire S-class Battleship!

I like that game a lot, but I feel it's a REALLY difficult game to get into with its complex controls, not to mention that it's very hard even on the medium difficulty setting, and fairly cluttered and confusing for a first time player.
If I had to compare with IRL experience: Stage 1 is like learning how to swim in a swimming pool, and right at stage 2 you're tossed a mile away from the beach with a couple of sharks threatening to eat you.
It's not the first thing I'd recommend to the Critic, even though I'm slightly curious how much he'll like/dislike it.

NES
Athena

You monster. :shock:
No one should suffer playing games developed by Micronics, and especially not that one. Ghosts n' Goblins and 1942 were pretty lazy/incompetent ports already, and NES Ikari Warriors I & II & Super Pitfall are awful (especially the latter), but the NES version of Athena is on another level.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 16th, 2020, 9:33 am

velcrozombie wrote:Hotline Miami (kill everyone in high speed arcade action in woozy 80s pastels - Switch physical version with both games in the series is in the 70 dollar range but cheap digital versions are an option)
. . .
Shadow Complex (classic Metriodvania with some Metal Gear Solid flavor - physical editon for the PS4 from Limited Run Games is available but pricey in the 60+ dollar range)

Good taste, velcrozombie. Both are definitely in the top 5 best indie games I've ever played.

Journey on PS3/PS4 is another classic ... if I was making an objective list of "Best Indie Games Ever", I think I'd have to put Journey at #1. It only takes about 3 hours to play through and well worth it, especially in one sitting. And it's available on physical media for a reasonable used price (https://www.amazon.com/PS3-Journey-Coll ... B008CP6RWU) . Could make for a good review.

Nex Machina is another indie game I suspect would be right up the VGC's alley, and it's also available on physical media. It's a twin stick shooter, developed in consultation with Eugene Jarvis (Robotron, Smash TV), that is retro-inspired but made with a more modern aesthetic.

brendand wrote:Games on Bandai Wonderswan and Nokia N-Gage both handhelds have some great games definitely amongst the missing worthwhile handhelds that are not currently listed

Agreed on that. I plug the N-Gage here once in awhile, because I think it's a better system than it gets credit. 5-10 years ago was the cheapest time to collect for it, but there's no time like the present.. only gets more expensive as time passes.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 16th, 2020, 10:17 am

More Game Boy/Game Boy Color Games, some entries listed below:

Mega Man I
Mega Man II
Mega Man III
Mega Man IV
Mega Man V
Mega Man Xtreme
Mega Man Xtreme 2
Metroid II - Return of Samus
Donkey Kong Land
Donkey Kong Land 2
Donkey Kong Land 3
Donkey Kong Country (GBC)
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
Star Trek: 25th Anniversary (Game Boy)
Star Trek Generations - Beyond the Nexus
R-Type
R-Type II
R-Type Deluxe
Street Fighter Alpha
Street Fighter II (Game Boy)
Mortal Kombat (Game Boy)
Mortal Kombat II (Game Boy)
Mortal Kombat 3 (Game Boy)
Mortal Kombat 4 (GBC)
Duck Tales 2 (Game Boy)
Arcade Classic 3 - Galaga/Galaxian
Galaga (GBC)
Operation C
Contra - Alien Wars (Game Boy)

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 16th, 2020, 10:21 am

On my end, I can't complain now that the VGC reviewed North and South. But I still have at least two games I'll mention once in awhile..

-Pokemon Snap (N64).. I have absolutely no interest in Pokemon, and we know the VGC feels the same, but Pokemon Snap is a completely different experience... just laid back and fun, and seasonally-appropriate as a great summertime game. It has its flaws, but I still think it's an essential N64 review. A few of us have raised it, VGC has never expressed interest, but we refuse to let it go :lol: ...

-Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1 or PSP).. A large contingent of us have pushed this game for awhile, because we know the VGC has a secret love for tactical RPGs (see Vandal Hearts review), and we simply will not let him escape until he reviews the best tactical RPG of all time. Instead, he sits in his game room laughing at our efforts and, just to rub it in, gets sidetracked by Ogre Battle and other good-but-inferior tactical RPGs... :cry:

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » July 16th, 2020, 10:33 am

Retro STrife wrote:Journey on PS3/PS4 is another classic ... if I was making an objective list of "Best Indie Games Ever", I think I'd have to put Journey at #1. It only takes about 3 hours to play through and well worth it, especially in one sitting. And it's available on physical media for a reasonable used price (https://www.amazon.com/PS3-Journey-Coll ... B008CP6RWU) .
-Final Fantasy Tactics (PS1 or PSP).. A large contingent of us have pushed this game for awhile, because we know the VGC has a secret love for tactical RPGs (see Vandal Hearts review), and we simply will not let him escape until he reviews the best tactical RPG of all time. Instead, he sits in his game room laughing at our efforts and, just to rub it in, gets sidetracked by Ogre Battle and other good-but-inferior tactical RPGs... :cry:

Never played Journey but Gamestop is having a used game sale at the moment so it's going in my cart.

FF Tactics may still be my favorite Final Fantasy and my favorite RPG period, probably because you have to actively engage in each battle and make use of all your resources to have a chance of winning (although you do eventually get something of an instant-win character late in the game that can save your butt in almost any situation). Unlike a lot of PS1 games, it still looks great and the story (although not perfectly translated) is epic and tragic.

Retro STrife wrote:
velcrozombie wrote:Shadow Complex (classic Metriodvania with some Metal Gear Solid flavor - physical editon for the PS4 from Limited Run Games is available but pricey in the 60+ dollar range)

Good taste, velcrozombie. Both are definitely in the top 5 best indie games I've ever played.

I think most people know Hotline Miami's reputation at this point but Shadow Complex NEVER gets enough play. I wonder if having Orson Scott Card (who has made some controversial statements) as the writer has negatively effected its reputation. I should mention that it's also available via digital download on both XBox Live and Steam for $14.99 in case anyone else wants to give it a go - you owe it to yourself if you're a Metroidvania fan and you don't mind more of a real-world (as opposed to fantasy or sci-fi) setting.
Last edited by velcrozombie on July 16th, 2020, 11:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 16th, 2020, 10:48 am

velcrozombie wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:Journey on PS3/PS4 is another classic ... if I was making an objective list of "Best Indie Games Ever", I think I'd have to put Journey at #1. It only takes about 3 hours to play through and well worth it, especially in one sitting. And it's available on physical media for a reasonable used price (https://www.amazon.com/PS3-Journey-Coll ... B008CP6RWU) .

Never played Journey but Gamestop is having a used game sale at the moment so it's going in my cart.

FF Tactics may still be my favorite Final Fantasy and my favorite RPG period, probably because you have to actively engage in each battle and make use of all your resources to have a chance of winning (although you do eventually get something of an instant-win character late in the game that can save your butt in almost any situation). Unlike a lot of PS1 games, it still looks great and the story (although not perfectly translated) is epic and tragic.

Retro STrife wrote:
velcrozombie wrote:Shadow Complex (classic Metriodvania with some Metal Gear Solid flavor - physical editon for the PS4 from Limited Run Games is available but pricey in the 60+ dollar range)

I think most people know Hotline Miami's reputation at this point but Shadow Complex NEVER gets enough play. I wonder if having Orson Scott Card (who has made some controversial statements) as the writer has negatively effected it's reputation. I should mention that it's also available via digital download on both XBox Live and Steam for $14.99 in case anyone else wants to give it a go - you own it to yourself if you're a Metroidvania fan and you don't mind more of a real-world (as opposed to fantasy or sci-fi) setting.

Honestly, I didn't know Orson Scott Card was connected with Shadow Complex. My issue with the game is that it never appeared on any system that I owned or am playing on. I'm always down for a good Metroidvania (or even a bad one if it has something to make playing through worthwhile)...

As far as Hotline Miami... Not my cup of tea. Played the first game on Vita, and put it down almost immediately.

Return to “Video Games General”