Games you want the Critic to review

General and high profile video game topics.
Breaker

Re: Games you want the Critic to review

Postby Breaker » October 14th, 2020, 10:09 pm

goldenband wrote:Absolutely agreed! And yeah, while it's true that he hasn't reviewed FIFA '96, DarXide, or Surgical Strike -- he could use a repro or flash cart for the first two, and a CDR for the third -- Supreme Warrior is indeed the only official North American release for the 32X that hasn't been reviewed yet. So close!

Thumbs up emoji

goldenband

Postby goldenband » October 15th, 2020, 7:35 am

MSR1701 wrote:Are there Flash Carts/Everdrives for the 32X?

Yep, the EverDrive for the Genesis has always worked perfectly for 32X games too. I've played DarXide on it on multiple occasions. :)

You need to have a 32X attachment, of course -- there's no flash cart that emulates that. I'd be surprised if there ever is, since not only would it take gobs of CPU power, but the 32X depends on routing the AV signal separately.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 15th, 2020, 7:49 am

goldenband wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:Are there Flash Carts/Everdrives for the 32X?

Yep, the EverDrive for the Genesis has always worked perfectly for 32X games too. I've played DarXide on it on multiple occasions. :)

You need to have a 32X attachment, of course -- there's no flash cart that emulates that. I'd be surprised if there ever is, since not only would it take gobs of CPU power, but the 32X depends on routing the AV signal separately.

Thanks for the info, now I wish I still had the 32X n Genesis units. Always likes Darxide, and even when younger wish it had a release in the US...

goldenband

Postby goldenband » October 22nd, 2020, 9:40 am

Speaking of first-person space shooters, I'm somewhat surprised the Critic hasn't reviewed Zero 5 on the Jaguar, one of the only Jag releases he hasn't covered yet (full list here).

It's not clear to me whether new copies are still available -- Telegames appears to list it as available for purchase, but given the high prices it commands elsewhere, maybe it's not actually in stock.

It seems to get mixed reviews, but this person loved it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SGhUmK8ok0

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » October 22nd, 2020, 3:25 pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I'd like to see Driver 2 (PS1) get a review. I feel like most people judge it a little unfairly compared to the first one - which seems to have the better reputation online. When it was released I remember almost all my friends being disappointed that you couldn't do much once you got out of the car, which was the big new feature. They all expected GTA3 levels of exploration and gunplay, even though that was still a full console generation away from being made possible.

Yeah it's a massively dated feature now, but at the time I don't recall any other 3D driving game doing it. Plus it served what I felt the main purpose was – countering the frustration of failing a mission cos you wrecked your car.

I'd be interested to see the Critic's take on it.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » October 22nd, 2020, 4:35 pm

TheEagleXIII wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned but I'd like to see Driver 2 (PS1) get a review.

Your post made me do a double-take -- not because of Driver 2, but it made me think of another mission-based driving game for the PS1, namely The Italian Job. I could have sworn the Critic reviewed that one at some point, but I guess not?

It's dirt-cheap, but it's supposed to be unexpectedly good. If I were on a desert island and someone asked me who reviewed it positively, I would have thought it was the VGC. :?

The Italian Job for PS1 is also completely unrelated to the PS2 game of the same name that came out later. IIRC they're based on, respectively, the original and the remake of the film by that name, and the PS1 game is supposedly the far better of the two.

jon

Postby jon » October 22nd, 2020, 8:17 pm

Zero 5 is definitely an interesting looking game. I’ve read that without cheat codes it’s one of the hardest games to beat ever. The price has jumped up to obscene levels. I’d say Kraut Buster if it ever gets a Dreamcast release or something.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » October 23rd, 2020, 2:43 am

goldenband wrote:Your post made me do a double-take -- not because of Driver 2, but it made me think of another mission-based driving game for the PS1, namely The Italian Job. I could have sworn the Critic reviewed that one at some point, but I guess not?

It's dirt-cheap, but it's supposed to be unexpectedly good. If I were on a desert island and someone asked me who reviewed it positively, I would have thought it was the VGC. :?

The Italian Job for PS1 is also completely unrelated to the PS2 game of the same name that came out later. IIRC they're based on, respectively, the original and the remake of the film by that name, and the PS1 game is supposedly the far better of the two.

Interesting nomination! I do have a soft spot for the PS1 Italian Job. It is based off the original British version - which is regarded as an absolute national institution here, or at least it was at the time the game came out. It does an admirable job of not just following the plot of the film almost exactly, but turning parts of the film into driving missions.

I revisited it earlier this year and it still feels like a poor Driver clone. The car physics aren't great, and the game is pretty short but I still enjoyed it. Not sure how it'd come across without prior knowledge of the movie - but the highlight is absolutely recreating the infamous Mini Cooper chase sequence.

Speaking of Driver clones, World Scariest Police Chases on PS1 was pretty good too.

Return to “Video Games General”