Are you psyched about the PS5 or Xbox Series X?

General and high profile video game topics.
pacman000

Re: Are you psyched about the PS5 or Xbox Series X?

Postby pacman000 » August 20th, 2020, 12:29 pm

No. I care very little for the next console generation.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » August 23rd, 2020, 5:16 pm

Hell no.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 9th, 2020, 7:21 pm

They are saying that there will be a disc less version of the Series X for 250 uk. I was not going to get one but wow.. that is cheaper than the X which is still 350 over here.. and in some cases 450. Xbox Series X Version s selling for 250. Vs xbox 1 x which does have a disc drive but sells for 350/450.

Though with no exclusives on launch I might just sit and wait to see what transpires.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » September 13th, 2020, 1:06 am

The last console release that gave me that "giddy as a schoolgirl" feeling was the Wii, because it REALLY offered something different... even if that difference was more perceived than actual. Maybe the fact that I was younger then had something to do with it, but I doubt it.

I saw a few YouTube videos that were SUPPOSEDLY showing the graphical improvements between the PS4 and PS5, and I'm not buying it. The "PS4" footage they show looks like the contrast has been messed with, making darker areas appear the same shade of black, and the close-up resolution is below PS3 levels.

I have owned my own custom Home Theater and AV installation company since 2001, and this reminds me of what they do every time the new TV Technology is released. The split the screen in half and show you a worst-case-scenario version of the current technology, next to a best-case-scenario version of the newest. They're even starting to roll out demos to vendors like myself that try to show how crappy 4k looks compared to the supposedly superior 8k that is on the horizon. I'm a member of a few Industry Insider boards, and all the pros on there are having a good laugh at the amount of wool the manufacturers attempt to pull over the eyes of the public every year, be it 3d, curved screen, or 8k, they are always looking for a way to make everyone think they can't live without the new technology... and it's getting harder and harder to make the case.

The only way I'll get a PS5 is when it gets to about the end of its life, and the PS6 is on the horizon, and people start selling their PS5s for cheap on Offerup.

If it happens earlier than that, it would ONLY be if massive backwards compatibility had been implemented... which I doubt, knowing Sony...

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » September 13th, 2020, 1:04 pm

Paul Campbell wrote:The last console release that gave me that "giddy as a schoolgirl" feeling was the Wii, because it REALLY offered something different... even if that difference was more perceived than actual. Maybe the fact that I was younger then had something to do with it, but I doubt it.

I saw a few YouTube videos that were SUPPOSEDLY showing the graphical improvements between the PS4 and PS5, and I'm not buying it. The "PS4" footage they show looks like the contrast has been messed with, making darker areas appear the same shade of black, and the close-up resolution is below PS3 levels.

I have owned my own custom Home Theater and AV installation company since 2001, and this reminds me of what they do every time the new TV Technology is released. The split the screen in half and show you a worst-case-scenario version of the current technology, next to a best-case-scenario version of the newest. They're even starting to roll out demos to vendors like myself that try to show how crappy 4k looks compared to the supposedly superior 8k that is on the horizon. I'm a member of a few Industry Insider boards, and all the pros on there are having a good laugh at the amount of wool the manufacturers attempt to pull over the eyes of the public every year, be it 3d, curved screen, or 8k, they are always looking for a way to make everyone think they can't live without the new technology... and it's getting harder and harder to make the case.

The only way I'll get a PS5 is when it gets to about the end of its life, and the PS6 is on the horizon, and people start selling their PS5s for cheap on Offerup.

If it happens earlier than that, it would ONLY be if massive backwards compatibility had been implemented... which I doubt, knowing Sony...

Can’t disagree enough. I don’t want 8K TV, I NEED 8K TV. How else am I going to know what color eyes that one guy has in the 3rd row of the Clips-Nuggets series?

I have an OLED LG 4K purchased at Costco a couple years ago and love it. Not sure if I really need to upgrade.

As for the XBox Series of X’s Console Microsoft X Series, I plan on picking one up for my 12 year old. He is soon to be 13 and I told him when he’s a teen we can play Call of Duty together so that should be fun. My older son who’s 19 has no interest in console gaming anymore. Although he still plays on the Switch, he does his gaming almost exclusively by PC.

My thinking about TVs and consoles are similar: are we at the point where unless we have the eyes of a mantis shrimp we’re not going to notice a big definition difference between a 4K and 8K TV or between a PS4 and PS5? This argument has been going on since I was a kid growing up with arcades since the late 70’s.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 13th, 2020, 8:02 pm

8K TV's/Monitors: Your hardware has to work harder for worse frame rates.

Return to “Video Games General”