Games in need of re-review

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Games in need of re-review

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 3rd, 2020, 8:51 am

It's not unusual for me to go back and re-review a game, especially if the original review dates back to the early 2000's. Sometimes I do it to correct an injustice, and sometimes to add meat to a skimpy review.

Here's the gist of an email I received recently:

Usually, I wouldn’t comment on anything, but half a year ago, I stumbled
across your review of “Armored Encounter/Subchase” for the Odyssey 2
which you gave an “F”. It left me stunned since “F” means to me that the
game is almost unplayable or at least no fun at all. This completely
contrasted with my memories from the late 70s.

So, I dug out a bunch of old friends an we played and replayed it (and
other Tank variants) over and over. Thank you for the incentive to do
so, by the way :-) I strongly suspect, Armored Encounter is rather a
pure Tank clone than a rip-off of Atari’s Combat. It adopts other
features than Combat. So, here are three key features we found enthralling:

- limited ammo (which usually leads to a hilarious race against time
when one player runs out of it)
- driving backwards (which -correctly applied- impedes the cheap hits
you wrote about)
- the mines (which are a sudden pain in the ass when driving backwards
trying to evade your opponent)

I still agree that Combat’s “tank pong” and “invisible tanks” outrank
Armored Encouter, but not by two grades and not to an “F”! So, I would
really beg you to reconsider your review in an evenhanded manner.

I'm going to give this game another look the next time I have friends over (it may be a while).

I'm sure there are some reviews I've written that rubbed you the wrong way, or maybe you think they missed the mark. You can let me know in this thread what games I should revisit and why.

CharlieR

Re: Games in need of re-review

Postby CharlieR » August 3rd, 2020, 9:13 am

The first game that came to mind for me was my personal favorite game of all time, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4. It got a D+ here. You mentioned that there was no tutorial, however, the missions in the first level help with that. For example, Atiba jefferson teaches you how to spine transfer, etc.

This is a great game, and one I'll gladly replay anytime.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 3rd, 2020, 10:48 am

I've mentioned this one before, but I think Poy Poy on the PS1 deserves a revisit. I picked that one up a few years ago based on the A score and the claim of "best multiplayer game ever", but it didn't live up to that. It's decent, kind of a poor man's version of Power Stone, but nothing I'd replay again. I imagine that an awesome group of friends and an awesome selection of beers contributed more to that 1999 review than the gameplay. Nothing wrong with that, but it might be hard to replicate..

Speaking of games to play once you have friends over again.. don't forget Girls Club on CD-i. Now, and I mean this, that actually might be the best multiplayer game ever to play with non-gamer friends and family...

VicViper

Postby VicViper » August 3rd, 2020, 12:48 pm

Retro STrife wrote:I've mentioned this one before, but I think Poy Poy on the PS1 deserves a revisit. I picked that one up a few years ago based on the A score and the claim of "best multiplayer game ever", but it didn't live up to that. It's decent, kind of a poor man's version of Power Stone, but nothing I'd replay again. I imagine that an awesome group of friends and an awesome selection of beers contributed more to that 1999 review than the gameplay. Nothing wrong with that, but it might be hard to replicate..

Speaking of games to play once you have friends over again.. don't forget Girls Club on CD-i. Now, and I mean this, that actually might be the best multiplayer game ever to play with non-gamer friends and family...

GIIIIIIIIRLS CLUB!
GIIIIIRLS! CLUB! PAAAAARTEEEEY!

It's also a game to play with at least one or two CPUs ideally, the girls' reactions in game are half the fun.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 3rd, 2020, 3:13 pm

VicViper wrote:It's also a game to play with at least one or two CPUs ideally, the girls' reactions in game are half the fun.

Really??.. I've always had 4 players, so I've missed out.. Will have to keep that in mind for next time.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 3rd, 2020, 9:25 pm

Megaman: Powered Up, feels more like a review of the style than the actual game. Especially when you're complaining about the slowdown, which was even worse in the NES and Gameboy.

You're also wrong when you claim that you can't kill the robot masters, and I wish I knew your secret, because my Megaman was clearly out for revenge.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » August 3rd, 2020, 10:52 pm

I don't want to get tiresome by repeating this, but since you asked...:mrgreen:

Destination Earthstar on the NES really needs a re-review. The current review doesn't mention the side-scrolling sections, which make up half the game and are clearly Destination Earthstar's "gimmick" -- you get one after every first-person level.

As it stands, the review kinda makes it sound like you only played the first half of Level 1, didn't finish it, and overlooked that there was an entire second style of play to be had in the game. :| You probably won't like the side-scrolling levels either, mind you, but -- as I'm sure you'll agree -- they should probably be mentioned in a review.

Funny thing is, there's another Star Raiders clone on the NES, Star Voyager, that does indeed stick to first-person segments. It's even published by Acclaim, and also has Star Wars ripoff enemies (they look like TIE fighters). Maybe you somehow got the two games confused?

VicViper

Postby VicViper » August 4th, 2020, 1:51 am

Retro STrife wrote:
VicViper wrote:It's also a game to play with at least one or two CPUs ideally, the girls' reactions in game are half the fun.

Really??.. I've always had 4 players, so I've missed out.. Will have to keep that in mind for next time.

I mean if you can have 4 IRL players, play with 4 players.
If you just got 2 or 3, add CPUs though.

I'm mainly basing it off this video (playthrough), where there are 3 CPUs, and one of them was actively fucking with their minds, it was so fun to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1XffqodO-Y

bluenote

Postby bluenote » August 4th, 2020, 7:48 am

I would say Golvellius for the Master System. The critic gave it an F, but I would say it's at least a B. In my opinion, it's one of the best games on the system.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » August 4th, 2020, 5:46 pm

I know there are a few I have read over the years but I just can't think of any right now. I hope this thread stays alive because I will probably find them in the next few weeks. One I remember is Flag Capture on the Atari 2600. I always thought that game was pretty fun considering it's primitive origins.

Return to “Video Games General”