Remakes

General and high profile video game topics.
CharlieR

Remakes

Postby CharlieR » August 18th, 2020, 1:22 pm

I have been thinking about making a post like this for a while. Trying to brainstorm about the idea of games being remade, remastered, etc. I guess this can be seen as a sister, or distant cousin, thread to the other current thread about buying games multiple times. I suppose I could have added to that thread, but I wanted to get a broader look in to the idea of remakes/remasters. How do you feel about them? etc.

Do you gladly buy the same game again, or do you look at it as a cash grab? I do think it is a little bit weird; wanting an updated version of a game you've played and enjoyed for countless hours, but at the same time, I will buy it if I feel there are enough improvements to the game. In the back of my mind, I do find it a tiny bit weird when I see a comment like "this game needs a remake." Isn't the original game fine enough? I do understand wanting a new version of your favorite game though. Although sometime (maybe most of the time) A remake of a classic can make you realize the older version was better, even if it was on an older system with limitations.

Sometimes the experience of a remake can be pretty much the same as the original. In my honest opinion, the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy was very good, although despite having updates (new graphics, updates to the save feature of the first game, handheld mode if you have a switch) it didn't really feel like a much better experience than the original games. I felt if I revisited the old games (which I still do from time to time) I wouldn't miss much from the remake, other than being able to complete the first game.

So, I definitely do not knock anyone for wanting their favorite games to be remade/remastered. My favorite game of all time is Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, and if that was remade, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but playing the original game is still awesome.

Basically, my main idea was, don't you think it's interesting that instead of being interested in new games coming out, we all want remakes of old games instead?

Retro STrife

Re: Remakes

Postby Retro STrife » August 18th, 2020, 2:01 pm

I guess it depends on the game and how they remake it. For example, I agree with you that the Crash Bandicoot remake added little value to the experience. It was my favorite platforming series of that era in the 90s, but the new remake was so similar that it left me wanting to play the old versions instead. The graphics and gameplay worked fine on PS1, so it didn't need any enhancement.

On the other hand, look at another PS1 game: Final Fantasy VII. Probably the most requested remake over the years.. fans have requested it since the PS2. With FF7, a lot could be done today to improve its graphics and gameplay. And what they did with the PS4 remake was pretty incredible. It is a complete reimaging of the beginning of FF7. I wouldn't call it a better game, but it is a very worthy remake and well worth playing for fans of the original and newcomers. I think that's an example of a remake done right.

Remakes are sort of like sequels, in that I look forward to them if I really enjoyed an experience with a game and want to experience it again in another form. But when I want to see a remake, it's usually only for games (like FF7) that I genuinely think can be improved or reimagined by newer hardware. Or games that I didn't get to play back in the day.

CharlieR wrote:So, I definitely do not knock anyone for wanting their favorite games to be remade/remastered. My favorite game of all time is Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, and if that was remade, I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but playing the original game is still awesome.

You must have heard of the new THPS 1 & 2 remakes, right? I'm a big fan of the PS1 series myself, so I'll be picking that up for sure. It comes out on September 4 and looks good so far. It also incorporates tricks and features that weren't incorporated until THPS 3 & 4, like the revert system. Here's the wikipedia link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Hawk%27s_Pro_Skater_1_%2B_2

Voor

Postby Voor » August 18th, 2020, 2:11 pm

I feel the same—I think it’s good that games are on systems that are unique to them.

Probably the exceptions are true classic games 20 years after they were released, that introduces a whole new generation to them. But not a game that comes out on the PS3, and is remade on the PS4 (or 5). That’s weak to me.

Example: I’ve heard rumors of a super metroid remake. Not sure how I’d feel about that. It doesn’t feel like really anything can be improved on, and the fact it can be played for free on Switch, would make a remake feel unnecessary.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 18th, 2020, 2:14 pm

I also feel a bit conflicted about the topic. It seems like not only the video game industry, but Hollywood (constant reboots) and music (vinyl re-releases) have run out of ideas and instead are just recycling old stuff.

I recently purchased the PS4 versions of Resident Evil 1-4. Why? Well I had never really experienced them in HD before, so I figured it would be a new experience. It helped that they were fairly cheap (around $20 each).

However, before I could buy Resident Evil 5, I paused. I mean, the original came out on the Xbox 360, so the graphics aren't going to be substantially better.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » August 19th, 2020, 9:11 am

Retro STrife wrote:
You must have heard of the new THPS 1 & 2 remakes, right? I'm a big fan of the PS1 series myself, so I'll be picking that up for sure. It comes out on September 4 and looks good so far. It also incorporates tricks and features that weren't incorporated until THPS 3 & 4, like the revert system.[/url]

Yes. It's too bad that it isn't coming to switch, but I would think it would at some point. I have the originals, an Tony Hawk 2x on xbox, which is very good. Tony Hawk HD is pretty good as well.

Also to my point, Isn't it interesting that instead of a new entry in the series, they just remake the same game over and over? not that I'm complaining.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 19th, 2020, 10:05 am

CharlieR wrote:Yes. It's too bad that it isn't coming to switch, but I would think it would at some point. I have the originals, an Tony Hawk 2x on xbox, which is very good. Tony Hawk HD is pretty good as well.

Also to my point, Isn't it interesting that instead of a new entry in the series, they just remake the same game over and over? not that I'm complaining.

With all the failed attempts to revive THPS over the past couple decades (most recently THPS 5 in 2015), I think they realized that returning to the basics was the last hope. Gamers have totally given up on the series (myself included). So a remake is cheaper to make, and more likely to sell, than if they tried a THPS 6. If it sells well, I bet they remake THPS 3 & 4 next. And if that sells well, then I'd bet they take the renewed interest and try a revival of the series with THPS 6 (like they are doing now with the Crash Bandicoot revival).

My only concern with the remake is that - like Crash Bandicoot - there isn't a lot of ways that newer hardware would improve the THPS formula. The PS1 hardware didn't really limit THPS in any way, so my guess is the remake is just polishing things up. It's from the same developers that did Crash too. But still - I'm buying it for nostalgia and for some multiplayer gaming with my brother.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » August 25th, 2020, 8:40 am

I remember watching a gameplay review of the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy and the person said "here it is, the Crash game we've all been waiting for" and it's the.. same game(s) that came out twenty years ago. Pretty much the same with Tony Hawk, I just read a comment saying that this new remake is the game of the year (even though the game isn't out yet.) I'm not knocking it; I guess it's just funny to hear people say that about new versions of games that have been out for decades.

Maybe it just goes to show you that people would rather play updated versions of old games rather than new ones? I know I'd be way more excited to play the "new" Tony Hawk than I am about Far cry 6 or whatever.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 25th, 2020, 4:10 pm

CharlieR wrote:I remember watching a gameplay review of the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy and the person said "here it is, the Crash game we've all been waiting for" and it's the.. same game(s) that came out twenty years ago. Pretty much the same with Tony Hawk, I just read a comment saying that this new remake is the game of the year (even though the game isn't out yet.) I'm not knocking it; I guess it's just funny to hear people say that about new versions of games that have been out for decades.

Maybe it just goes to show you that people would rather play updated versions of old games rather than new ones? I know I'd be way more excited to play the "new" Tony Hawk than I am about Far cry 6 or whatever.

Maybe it's just that modern developers insist on ignoring the vast majority of twitch gamers who are neither looking for an endless grind or a sadistic curbstomping?

Lucifixion

Postby Lucifixion » August 26th, 2020, 6:30 pm

CharlieR wrote:Do you gladly buy the same game again, or do you look at it as a cash grab?

I'm not usually glad about it, but my most recent example of having done so, Link's Awakening, is definitely an exception. Loved every minute of it! On the other end of the spectrum, I cannot bring myself to buy the new FF7. Something has just felt off to me about everything Square has done since...I dunno...2004...? I did like the FF4 remake for DS, and the recent Secret of Mana is ok. Can't think of any others at the moment. Often these games come with quality of life improvements, but it's a double-edged sword. Sometimes the flaws and tedium of an old game are also what provide its charm. How good would the original Legend of Zelda be today if it were basically the same game with updated graphics and typical modern hand-holding all along the way? Well.....we may eventually find out...

Tron

Postby Tron » September 2nd, 2020, 4:55 pm

I remember some *groaning* when Skyrim was released on the Switch. I don’t have a Switch yet, but I’m looking forward to being able to play that game again with portability. Only thing I’m weary about is that I don’t think the Switch will have as good as Mods as the PS4.

Return to “Video Games General”