Remakes

General and high profile video game topics.
noah98

Re: Remakes

Postby noah98 » September 2nd, 2020, 6:21 pm

Lucifixion wrote:
CharlieR wrote:Do you gladly buy the same game again, or do you look at it as a cash grab?

I'm not usually glad about it, but my most recent example of having done so, Link's Awakening, is definitely an exception. Loved every minute of it! On the other end of the spectrum, I cannot bring myself to buy the new FF7. Something has just felt off to me about everything Square has done since...I dunno...2004...? I did like the FF4 remake for DS, and the recent Secret of Mana is ok. Can't think of any others at the moment. Often these games come with quality of life improvements, but it's a double-edged sword. Sometimes the flaws and tedium of an old game are also what provide its charm. How good would the original Legend of Zelda be today if it were basically the same game with updated graphics and typical modern hand-holding all along the way? Well.....we may eventually find out...

I usually like remakes of my favorite games, but the Link's Awakening remake is an example of the end result being worse as a whole. I actually like the new art style, but the horrible blur effect and terrible frame rate drops make the original so much better. I am buying the Kingdom of Amalur remaster day one though!

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » September 4th, 2020, 3:17 pm

It all depends on the game..
Id really like to play the destroy all humans
Remaster and im really looking forward kingdoms of
Amular . that was such a great game and they
Are addind new content so cant wait!!

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » September 5th, 2020, 2:25 pm

I really want a Legend Of Zelda: Oracle Of Ages/Seasons remake in the style of Link's Awakening for Switch.

Lucifixion

Postby Lucifixion » September 7th, 2020, 11:24 am

noah98 wrote:I usually like remakes of my favorite games, but the Link's Awakening remake is an example of the end result being worse as a whole. I actually like the new art style, but the horrible blur effect and terrible frame rate drops make the original so much better. I am buying the Kingdom of Amalur remaster day one though!

I was really late getting to Link's Awakening DX, as I only acquired it within the last few years. I never did finish it, probably got about halfway through before...well, I can never remember what stole my attention. Anyways, I will provide context in saying A Link to the Past was my first Zelda game. I love that game and have probably thrashed it a good half dozen times since the early 90s. I just didn't get sucked in playing Link's Awakening DX on my Gameboy Player. The remake actually made it a lot more accessible for me. I agree that the blur on the top and bottom of the screen is off-putting. I didn't even really notice it at first, but once you do it doesn't go away. I would argue that the frame-rate drops are not terrible. They are noticeable, but they didn't detract from the gameplay in any significant way.

noah98

Postby noah98 » September 7th, 2020, 4:20 pm

Lucifixion wrote:
noah98 wrote:I usually like remakes of my favorite games, but the Link's Awakening remake is an example of the end result being worse as a whole. I actually like the new art style, but the horrible blur effect and terrible frame rate drops make the original so much better. I am buying the Kingdom of Amalur remaster day one though!

I was really late getting to Link's Awakening DX, as I only acquired it within the last few years. I never did finish it, probably got about halfway through before...well, I can never remember what stole my attention. Anyways, I will provide context in saying A Link to the Past was my first Zelda game. I love that game and have probably thrashed it a good half dozen times since the early 90s. I just didn't get sucked in playing Link's Awakening DX on my Gameboy Player. The remake actually made it a lot more accessible for me. I agree that the blur on the top and bottom of the screen is off-putting. I didn't even really notice it at first, but once you do it doesn't go away. I would argue that the frame-rate drops are not terrible. They are noticeable, but they didn't detract from the gameplay in any significant way.

The frame rate drops are pretty rough in handheld mode, but not as bad in docked mode. They also only occur in the overworld, not in dungeons, so I guess that makes it more tolerable.

Return to “Video Games General”