Do you own systems that the VGC doesn't own?

General and high profile video game topics.
CaptainCruch

Do you own systems that the VGC doesn't own?

Postby CaptainCruch » August 29th, 2020, 3:25 am

Well, I thought about the notion "Latest system count: 50" on the main page by the VGC.

That's quite a bunch!
I own 13 systems right now... and only one of them that isn't mentioned on the VGC's page: the Nokia N-Gage (you aren't missing much!). Do you own any systems that the VGC doesn't?

AtariToday

Re: Do you own systems that the VGC doesn't own?

Postby AtariToday » August 29th, 2020, 10:59 am

hmm..maybe? I own a Coleco Telstar Arcade system if that counts. There were only 4 cartridges made for the thing. :lol:

Weird side note: When I go to the System Review Index link on the VGC mainpage I get a pop-up requesting permission to grant this site and it's partners my geo-location data. Kinda weird?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 29th, 2020, 11:47 am

AtariToday wrote:Weird side note: When I go to the System Review Index link on the VGC mainpage I get a pop-up requesting permission to grant this site and it's partners my geo-location data. Kinda weird?

THANK YOU for bringing this to my attention! That pop-up was not supposed to be there. It's a remnant of some ad code from last year. I've been trying to eradicate it, and I think I finally did it. God willing.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 29th, 2020, 3:16 pm

I have around 65 different ones, but that's mostly from my collecting interest being a little more on systems than the games. I imagine that most retro gamers focus on the games themselves, only buying systems that have games on it that they want to play. But gaming hardware has always interested me a little more, so I'd buy a system even if the games for it all seem terrible, or if it only has a very small library.

But my days of adding new ones are mostly behind me. After setting up my game room a few years ago, I realized how little space I had left, so I lost the itch to keep adding new ones. That was a good thing. You really start getting into nonsensical systems by this point.

Mine are mostly console and portable systems, but I also count a few 80's gaming computers (Commodore 64, Apple II, TI-99/4A, etc.), and a few systems that are really borderline as to whether they count as systems (Hyperscan, Sega Pico, Pokemon mini, Action Max, etc.). I don't count things that are pong consoles, toys, etc.

I don't think the VGC is missing any important consoles; it's really impressive the library of systems and games he is reviewing, with some I wish I had. If he ever was itching for a new system, the two best systems I'd recommend are the Nokia N-Gage and Bandai Wonderswan. I actually think those are both solid systems (better than Neo Geo Pocket even), but nothing the site needs.

A few I have that aren't on the site here would be things like Nuon, Zodiac Tapwave, Gizmondo, RCA Studio II, and Magnavox Odyssey. Obscure stuff mostly. If I ever added more retro consoles, two that interest me most are the Amiga CD32 and Sega SG-1000.

AtariToday

Postby AtariToday » August 29th, 2020, 4:56 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:THANK YOU for bringing this to my attention! That pop-up was not supposed to be there. It's a remnant of some ad code from last year. I've been trying to eradicate it, and I think I finally did it. God willing.

You sir, are one radical dude. 8-) I checked out the link and it didn't have the pop-up anymore. Looks like you got it!

- as far as systems that the VGC doesn't own, he does have the majority I would read up on. Can we include computers? I see there is coverage of the Commodore 64 and Atari 8-bit (and I love reading reviews on those games). I own and Atari ST and a TI-99/4A. I personally would love to see some more reviews for 80's computer titles.

noah98

Postby noah98 » August 29th, 2020, 7:49 pm

Critic needs a TI 99/4a, an excellent cartridge based system!
Last edited by noah98 on August 30th, 2020, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » August 29th, 2020, 8:31 pm

I have a few -- the TI-99/4A, the Apple II, and Tandy Color Computer 2 & 3 -- plus a Microvision, which I can't recall whether the Critic owns.

I also a few cartridges for RCA Studio II though I don't own the system, and a random VIC-20 cartridge too.

Since the TI-99/4A and CoCo 2 and 3 use cartridges, I can imagine them showing up on the VGC's radar someday. There are some really good games on both systems.

OTOH the TI-99/4A looks a lot like the ColecoVision because of the shared graphics chip, so that robs it of some personality, and I'm not sure he would be willing to indulge the quirks of the Color Computer (analog joysticks, unusual graphics).

Each system also has a killer app, though, i.e. Dungeons of Daggorath on the CoCo and Parsec on the TI-99/4A. For the latter, the speech synthesizer really adds a lot -- and helps to distinguish the system from its near-lookalikes on the CV and MSX.

brendand

Postby brendand » August 30th, 2020, 9:06 am

Bandai Wonderswan,Nokia N-Gage,Watara Supervision and Amstrad GX4000

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 31st, 2020, 9:42 am

I don't own them but was always curious about the Amiga-32 and the FM Towns Marty. I'd love to read the critic's take on them both.

Marriott_Guy

Postby Marriott_Guy » August 31st, 2020, 3:42 pm

Dave has all of the big hitters covered, but there are a few others worth mentioning:

TI-99/4A
--- As others have stated, this personal computer accepts carts and has a pretty vast library.
--- These are durable and cheap as well. I have a few down in my basement.
--- http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/blog/?p=402

Nintendo Famicom Disk System (add-on)
--- Works only with the Famicom (won't work with a NES).
--- Large library of games, but to be honest most were ported over to carts.
--- Not overly expensive, but the disk drive belts are fragile as all get out.
--- Take a pass, unless you are really interested in some obscure titles from Japan.
--- http://www.videogameconsolelibrary.com/ ... ge=reviews

Amstrad GX4000
--- Basically a CPC port machine (think Commodore GS64).
--- Controllers are crap and this is a PAL only machine. I would take a pass on this.

FM Towns Marty
--- "Consolized" version of the popular FM Towns PC. 1st 32-bit console ever released.
--- Great system that could play CDs or floppy disks from the FM Towns family.
--- Was considered a powerhouse during its time.
--- Pretty expensive to acquire and is NTSC-J only, but well worth it for that massive library / compatibility.

CAPCOM CPS Changer
--- Basically an interface to play CPS-1 boards for home use.
--- Arcade perfect in every way, but ridiculously expensive. Use MAME to test out their games instead.

XavixPORT
--- 1st console to fully utilize motion sensing controllers (before the Wii).
--- All sports / fitness related titles that game with a special controller (i.e. tennis racquet or golf club).
--- Small library but games and the system are pretty cheap. Great multi-player fun since it is goofy as hell.

Just a few of the consoles that come to mind. Others (NUON, VIS, Sattelview, etc.) just do not have the game library to support the purchase.

Terry

Return to “Video Games General”