Do you own systems that the VGC doesn't own?

General and high profile video game topics.
Retro STrife

Re: Do you own systems that the VGC doesn't own?

Postby Retro STrife » August 31st, 2020, 6:16 pm

Marriott_Guy wrote:Dave has all of the big hitters covered, but there are a few others worth mentioning:

Terry

Great suggestions Terry.. I wish those FM Towns Marty's were affordable, people seem so intrigued by them. And big thanks for the great website you got over there. Best site on the web about gaming hardware. Learned about many systems for the first time there over the years.

You and the other guys here make a good point about the TI-99/4A. I never thought of that, since Dave usually says no to computer systems. But TI-99/4A is kind of a different breed, with a nice collection of games. And mostly reasonably priced.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » September 17th, 2020, 1:30 am

Just the SwanCrystal. It’s nice as a curio. I wouldn’t expect him to ever get one.

Or the B&W Neo Geo Pocket. Not sure if he has that, or if it can really be considered a different system than the Color.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » September 17th, 2020, 11:06 am

Is anyone familiar with the Nikko digiBlast, a failed sort of European handheld systeem?
Furthermore, I also understand that the Leapfrog Leapster is quite popular in the US, is that true? (it even has an educational Sonic game called "Sonic X").

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 17th, 2020, 5:06 pm

CaptainCruch wrote:Is anyone familiar with the Nikko digiBlast, a failed sort of European handheld systeem?
Furthermore, I also understand that the Leapfrog Leapster is quite popular in the US, is that true? (it even has an educational Sonic game called "Sonic X").

I had never heard of the digiBlast. Looks kind of interesting, thanks for the heads up.

The Leapster is quite popular in the US, although I think it's viewed more as a fun educational tool for young children (ages 3-7 mostly), and parents purchase it more for that purpose than as a gaming console. I own a Leapster and like 10 games, but only because I found it cheap at a yard sale.

As a collector, educational systems present a kind of interesting debate about whether they count as "toys" or "video game consoles". My general definition of a "game system" is any device designed primarily for gaming that has individual media for it (cartridges, CDs, etc.). A lot of educational systems meet that definition, but I'm still hesitant to call them game systems. It's arbitrary, but I don't count my Leapster as part of my collection, whereas I do count my Sega Pico (a Sega educational console from the mid-90s). The VTech V.Smile is another example. All of these have individual cartridge games, with recognizable characters. I know the distinction seems sort of irrelevant, but defining "system vs. toy" helped me draw a much-needed line in my mind to avoid going too crazy back when I was doing too much system buying.

Does any one else have their own definition of systems, or where educational systems fit, etc.?

zetax

Postby zetax » September 17th, 2020, 6:44 pm

Would the Sega Pico count? I've got one of those...for my kids.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 17th, 2020, 7:16 pm

zetax wrote:Would the Sega Pico count? I've got one of those...for my kids.

I bought one before having kids haha.. so I can't use the same excuse. Personally, I count the Sega Pico as a video game system, albeit a very obscure and borderline system. But it fits the basic definition as a standalone system with individual games on physical media. Boosting its credibility is that its made by Sega and has games with recognizable Sega properties like Sonic, Tails, and Ecco. But I'd also have no qualms with someone saying they don't classify it as a game system.

djc

Postby djc » September 18th, 2020, 12:36 am

I have the Nokia N-Gage (agree with others here that Dave is not missing much). I also have the Amiga CD-32 new in box. Other than that, I think he has all the other consoles I own unless you want to count a V-Tech V-Smile (console and handhelds)

Return to “Video Games General”