Guides and Walkthroughs?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Guides and Walkthroughs?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 5th, 2020, 6:42 pm

I've been binging the Persona games lately, and I've noticed something. Every time a choice comes up (whether its dialogue in a social link, a pop quiz, or just cooking) I find myself reaching for my phone to look up the right answer. These are the ONLY games that I do this for. I think half the reason is because I want to see the best outcome in every story, and the other half is because the answers you choose have a direct impact on leveling up your stats.

What about you guys? What does it take to make you look up guides and walkthroughs, and which games have done it?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Guides and Walkthroughs?

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 6th, 2020, 4:10 pm

I think it's cheating to use an FAQ the first time through a game, unless of course you are hopelessly stuck. Then again, I'm not sure what kind of time investment the Persona games require, as I've never played one. What are they like?

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 6th, 2020, 4:40 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I think it's cheating to use an FAQ the first time through a game, unless of course you are hopelessly stuck. Then again, I'm not sure what kind of time investment the Persona games require, as I've never played one. What are they like?

They're usually between 60-70 hours long. Since going to school is part of the game, sometimes the teachers will ask you questions. These are actual questions a Japanese high schooler might get asked, like "Which of these is a common export from [city]" or "What year did the Sengoku era come to an end?" Getting the answers right raises your Knowledge stat, and the higher your stats get the more opportunities open up for you in regards to social links.

There are also the social links, where you spend time with your friends to level up your relationships with them. They'll say something, and you'll be given some choices on how to respond, all of which they will react to differently. Sometimes it's hard to tell which one you should choose. If your friend got a bad grade, you could sympathize with him or tell him to stop crying and study harder. Throwing a pity party might get you a few points, while scolding him might actually move your relationship BACKWARDS. But he might also decide you're right and thank you for being straight with him, earning you EVEN MORE points.

In Persona 4, you'll occasionally get the chance to cook lunch and share it with your friends. It'll choose a recipe at random, and then give you three choices how to make it. One ruins the meal, one is okay, and one creates a meal so good that you automatically earn friendship points with whoever you share it with.

Lucifixion

Postby Lucifixion » September 7th, 2020, 12:14 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:What about you guys? What does it take to make you look up guides and walkthroughs, and which games have done it?

Most egregious example for me would be Breath of the Wild, wherein I gave up at around 200 korok seeds and used an interactive map on my phone whilst marking locations on the in-game map. I wanted to crush the game so as to have little reason to invest any more precious life into it afterwards. Most often I'll use online walkthroughs if I'm trying to complete a game which I've already beaten. Rarely I'll use it if ''hopelessly stuck'', which will tend to happen more in an RPG than any other type of game. I understand the Persona games are quite deep for the amount of choices with which you are confronted. My only experience has been the first one on PS1.

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » September 7th, 2020, 1:11 pm

Never! I'll beat The Secret of Monkey Island all by myself someday! :)

Seriously though I've used walkthroughs numerous times. I used them for every single Silent Hill game. I rented all of them and really wanted to see the ending without renting them over and over. Myst was another game where I broke down and used a walkthrough due to the difficulty of the game.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 7th, 2020, 2:13 pm

I recently had to use one for breath of the Wild, and it made me feel like a chump. The big problem is for me that because of The limited time I get to play, I get annoyed if a particular part takes longer than it feels it should. So, I either get feel rushed or feel like a loser. Lol.

This is probably the reason I stick to competitive games and retro platformers, I.e. games you can play for 30 minutes at a time.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » September 8th, 2020, 9:29 am

I use guides a lot when I get stuck to be honest. For example, I recently finished Paper Mario Color Splash and there were a lot of times where I had no clue what card I needed at a specific time to move forward. I just don't have the free time I used to to be wandering everywhere in the game trying to figure it out. It's already a 30 hour game which takes me a long time to get through, but then if I add many hours on top of that trying to figure out what to do, then it just becomes a chore.

I don't feel guilty whatsoever. In fact, it allows me to enjoy the game even more.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » September 9th, 2020, 5:19 pm

The only guide I ever used was for Tomb Raider 2. That damn thing needed a guidebook. I'll sometimes look up cheats on the web but I try never to use walkthroughs.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » September 10th, 2020, 5:57 am

I only tend to use walkthroughs if I'm absolutely cluelessly stuck for a long time and I feel I've exhausted every opportunity to progress. Or if I'm continuing a game I've abandoned for a while and I need a little help to get me back on track if I don't remember what the next objective is.

Most recently that applied to Final Fantasy IX. I picked it back up after a 3 month break and I could not remember where I was supposed to go next.

I'll use guides if a game has some depth to it that the manual or game doesn't expand upon enough. The most recent example I can think of that is Prison Architect.

Tron

Postby Tron » September 10th, 2020, 7:41 pm

I like guides for games that normal playing can’t possibly find everything you want or need. Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre have secrets, items, that “just playing the game” would never be found. I also like them for crucial decisions that change the game, like Persona. Sometimes you make a decision thinking it will lead to one thing, but the way the game plays out takes you totally somewhere else

Return to “Video Games General”