Halloween Suggestions?

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Re: Halloween Suggestions?

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 27th, 2020, 6:24 am

Retro STrife wrote:One more... I also have to mention Amnesia: The Dark Descent, which is usually considered a must-play game for survival horror fans. The game came out for PC in 2010, and it was more recently ported to PS4, Xbox One, and Switch as part of "The Amnesia Collection" (which includes all 3 Amnesia games). I have yet to play Dark Descent, but it's on my list to play this October.

Why do I mention it without even having played it? Because I have heard so much about this game.. it appears near the top of most lists for "best horror games ever" .. and I have routinely heard it called "the most influential horror game of the past 10 years". It seems that Amnesia was so effective as a horror game that most others since have borrowed at least some aspects of it, and some have even tried to clone the formula. All of these reasons are why I want to play the game despite not being a fan of the genre.

The problem? Well, Amnesia Collection is only available as a digital download, with no console version on physical media. Still, considering it's reputation this might be one good time to make an exception.

I didn't know the Amnesia collection was download only. Hopefully he'll make an exception because I know he'd like it. He loved Alien: Isolation and Amnesia is what invented that kind of run-and-hide gameplay...or at least popularized it. If he doesn't want to download it, he could try the Outlast trilogy which is also very similar but has a physical release

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » September 27th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Another feature I think could be pretty interesting is Halloween themed levels, or sections of games that have Halloween themes. One example I always think of is the suburbia level in tony Hawk 3.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » September 27th, 2020, 1:47 pm

Retro STrife wrote:One more... I also have to mention Amnesia: The Dark Descent, which is usually considered a must-play game for survival horror fans. The game came out for PC in 2010, and it was more recently ported to PS4, Xbox One, and Switch as part of "The Amnesia Collection" (which includes all 3 Amnesia games). I have yet to play Dark Descent, but it's on my list to play this October.

I heartily second this recommendation for Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I played it on PC back when it was originally released, and in fact started playing it in tandem with my wife (she on her laptop while I played on the desktop), always in a dark room at night. My wife literally had to quit playing, it was freaking her out so much! I played it all the way through, a great creepy game. Knowing how much the Critic liked Alien: Isolation, I think he would similarly love this title.

I also wasn't aware it was download only, but being an older title I can't imagine it costs very much; Critic, let me know if you're interested and I'll buy it for you if you give me your Playstation account info!

zetax

Postby zetax » September 27th, 2020, 4:02 pm

The Walking Dead games by Telltale for PS3/4 and/or X360/One. Action comes in fits and spurts, lots of story and decisions to make. Not for everyone, more of an interactive animated movie, but not horrible.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 28th, 2020, 10:57 am

CharlieR wrote:One example I always think of is the suburbia level in tony Hawk 3.

I admit it's been over a decade since I've play Tony Hawk 3, but I don't remember anything Halloween related in the Suburbia level. Unless you're talking about the guy who chops his front door down if you bring him an axe...was that a reference to The Shining?

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » September 30th, 2020, 9:07 am

That could be a reference, and there are pumpkins in the level.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 30th, 2020, 2:01 pm

Here’s a recommendation for an article:

Best video game jump scares!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 1st, 2020, 8:14 pm

The Halloween banners are showing! Gotta love that.
(they are programmed to display automatically October 1st, but the way)

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » October 1st, 2020, 11:03 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:The Halloween banners are showing! Gotta love that.
(they are programmed to display automatically October 1st, but the way)

I noticed that; nice Seasonally Correct programming there!

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » October 8th, 2020, 8:11 am

DrLitch wrote:
snakeboy wrote:If I'm not mistaken, Darkwood is supposed to get a physical release through Super Rare Games sometime this year.

That is pretty cool I thx for info 8-)

Darkwood will be going on sale in a few hours. Looks like it's limited to 5000 copies. Not sure if it will sell out quickly, but it's probably a good idea to get your order in sooner rather than later for anyone who really wants it.

https://superraregames.com

Return to “Video Games General”