Best way to play old Sega Genesis?

General and high profile video game topics.
CaptainCruch

Best way to play old Sega Genesis?

Postby CaptainCruch » September 10th, 2020, 8:50 am

What is the best way to play old Sega Genesis games, apart from on the original game consoles? (which I still prefer, despite the lack of save states).

I ask, because I recently bought the Sega Classics Collection for Nintendo Switch and I was really disappointed with it. The game somehow don't feel right to me and the menu's I find kind of cumbersome. However, I really liked the Sonic Genesis Collection on Xbox 360 a few years back - I thought the games played really well on that one and I liked the additions of a few interviews and the simple menu's. I haven't played on the Sega Genesis Mini yet, so I can't comment on that one.

So what do you consider the best Sega Genesis Classic Games Collection?

BanjoPickles

Re: Best way to play old Sega Genesis?

Postby BanjoPickles » September 10th, 2020, 10:16 am

That’s easy: the Sega Genesis Mini that came out last year, that has been reduced to $60.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 10th, 2020, 10:40 am

I have the Genesis Classics collection on PS4 and have to disagree a bit. I think it's the best Genesis compilation that has been released on consoles. I agree that the "game room" style menu system is harder to navigate (although it looks nice) and that it could have more extras. But at the end of the day, game selection is what matters most to me and I think the Classics collection has the best set of games. The game selection is better than the compilation that came out on 360/PS3. You could even argue that it has a better game selection than the Mini - and the price is definitely better. (It's often $20 or less on PS4.)

That said, if the Classics collection didn't do it for you, I'd recommend giving the Mini a shot. Sounds like that would be your best bet, short of an original console.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » September 10th, 2020, 1:14 pm

My vote is for the mini.

It's super easy to hack and add whatever ROMs you want on it using Project Lunar. There is a max game size about 100 or so or things start to lag but that will let you play whatever you want including 32x games. I don't think there's enough room on it for Sega CD games though. For that you'd have to go the Hakchi (sp?) route with a USB thumbdrive.

goldenband

Postby goldenband » September 10th, 2020, 2:12 pm

This is another option:

https://www.analogue.co/mega-sg

I don't have one, but it seemed to be fairly well-received. Supposedly zero lag. Don't remember if it supports savestates.

If memory serves, the Minis all suffer from some degree of audio lag, not sure about input lag. For me, perceptible lag is kind of a fun-killer, and even input lag that I don't consciously perceive has an effect on my play, ergo an effect on my enjoyment.

As for game anthologies on newer consoles? Not really my thing.

astrodomekid

Postby astrodomekid » September 10th, 2020, 2:58 pm

I still prefer the genuine article, but I also really enjoyed both Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (Xbox 360) and Sega Genesis Classics (PS4). Both games have a solid selection, and I find the interface in the latter really cool. I like how it attempts to recreate the experience of playing these games "back in the day", right down to the inclusion of VR support (which I don't know how good it is because I do not yet have PSVR, though I plan on getting it at some point in the near future). I especially love that rad solo jazz-inspired wallpaper that you can use during gameplay. I'll also probably search for a copy of Sega Genesis Collection (PS2) and see how that one fares.

And since no one seems to have brought it up yet, there's always emulators. Right now I'm using Retroarch, which can play games from a ton of retro consoles. What I especially like about this program is that you can connect to a website called "RetroAchievements" and earn achievements for retro games just like you would with Xbox Live/PSN. Right now the only Genesis game I have on there is Arrow Flash (BTW, I really wanna find an actual copy of that one); I'll probably wait 'til I get an external hard drive to put ROM sets on before I put a ton more games in there, 'cause I'm already down to 260-ish gigs on my 1TB gaming laptop.

As for mini consoles... well, I don't have any except for an Atari 2600 one so I couldn't tell you.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » September 10th, 2020, 5:29 pm

I keep seeing the Sega Genesis mini. Does anyone have one with the aesthetic Sega CD and 32x? That looks like a fun little system.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » September 11th, 2020, 7:01 am

Retro STrife wrote:I have the Genesis Classics collection on PS4 and have to disagree a bit. But at the end of the day, game selection is what matters most to me and I think the Classics collection has the best set of games. The game selection is better than the compilation that came out on 360/PS3.

Okay, but I have the Switch version. To my suprise some of the games included on the PS4 edition are missing, like the Wonder Boy games, making the game selection a little less appealing on this edition.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 11th, 2020, 8:39 am

^ Ah, I didn't know the game lineup was different for the Switch - I figured it would be identical. There's also an Xbox One version.

I've also seen some gamers complain about emulation issues or input lag with the Classics collection. I haven't experienced that at all, but it is an occasional complaint that comes up in online reviews. It's not a perfect collection, but for the money and convenience, it's tough to beat. The Mini is probably better overall, but you pay about double for it.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 11th, 2020, 9:16 am

I wish I could find a good chart comparing the games included with the Genesis Collection (PS3/360), Sega Classics (PS4/XONE/Switch), and the Mini. Anyone know of one?

But by game count, the Genesis Collection has 48, Sega Classics has 52, and the Mini has 42. The most glaring omission from Sega Classics is Sonic 3, but I think it makes up for that with other big inclusions. (The Mini is also missing Sonic 3.) Really, now that I'm looking at the Mini's game list, it's probably the weakest list of the 3 options. But it does have a few rare games, and the best emulation performance, so it has some points in its favor.

Return to “Video Games General”