Worst years for video games?

General and high profile video game topics.
astrodomekid

Worst years for video games?

Postby astrodomekid » September 10th, 2020, 1:25 pm

I could write a lengthy description on why this has been on my mind, but I already talked about it here when I made my "1984 in video games" post a while back. You can check that out here if you want more context.

So... what year[s] do you think weren't so good for the gaming world?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Worst years for video games?

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 10th, 2020, 4:43 pm

Ummmm 2020? I can't think of any title of note from this year, and I suspect a lot have been delayed till next year due to the virus.

jon

Postby jon » September 10th, 2020, 6:00 pm

This is a great topic. I’d say it’s 1997. The PS1 and N64 were duking it out, seeing who could come up with the worst graphics, while making games too complicated.

It started in late 1995 and continued until the 6th gen started. Any year would count but 1997 is right in the middle and my favorite sports sims got discontinued because of EA.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 10th, 2020, 6:13 pm

My opinion is still about the same as it was in that old topic you linked to..
Starting from the Atari 2600 era to present day, I would say that 1984 was the worst year. Admittedly, I don't base that on personal knowledge. However, there is an amazing series called "The Video Game Years" on Youtube and Amazon Prime, that informed my opinion on this one (btw, for anyone who hasn't seen the show, drop everything and go watch it already....). The Video Game Years chronicled the 1980s in gaming, with 10 episodes -- one episode per year. And without a doubt, 1984 was the weirdest episode. There was almost nothing for them to talk about during the hour-long show. While years like 1981 or 1987 were loaded with content to talk about (to the point that important games got left out), the 1984 episode was grasping at straws just to come up with games to talk about. Like literally Marble Madness was the highlight of 1984...

I can see VGC's point about 2020 being a weird year too, though. Last of Us Part II was probably the most anticipated game so far in a slow year, but things should pick up with games like Cyberpunk 2077 and Halo Infinite, and of course the launch of Sony and Microsoft's new consoles. As much as I love retro games, I'm of the opinion that games are getting better overall these days, so I'd be hard pressed to pick a modern year as the worst year.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » September 10th, 2020, 7:06 pm

Oddly enough, I’ll go with 1984 as well. For home gaming, it was pretty sad; games were chucked in discount bins for $5 to $10, and I picked up the INTV keyboard for only $20 (still overpaid). The 2600 and the INTV were all but dead, and the CV was on its last legs. Just seemed like the end of an era.

The arcades were suffering as well. A lot of closures, even games like Punchout and Marble Madness were unable to stop further arcade closures.

My second pick would be the year 2356. The PS 62 was lame-o and the X Series Console Microsoft Box of X’s Super Series RQN was a disappointment though we all liked the name.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » September 10th, 2020, 7:41 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:...and the X Series Console Microsoft Box of X’s Super Series RQN was a disappointment though we all liked the name.

LOL. But to be fair the Xbox Hardcore Series XXX was a really tough act to follow.

noah98

Postby noah98 » September 10th, 2020, 8:27 pm

2020 could be a lot worse for video games. Cyberpunk is going to be huge this year. Animal Crossing was a big deal for Nintendo fans.

We also got Streets of Rage 4, Clubhouse Games, The Outer Worlds, Last of Us 2, Ghosts of Tsushima, The Avengers, Curse of the Moon 2, Paper Mario, Spiritfarer, Huntdown, and Spelunky 2.

Also two new consoles launching this year, some cool remasters like Tony Hawk 1+2, and some promising releases coming soon like Star Wars Squadrons, Crash Bandicoot 4, Watch Dogs: Legion, Assassin's Creed Valhalla, Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity, Etc.

So, probably 1984 was the worst!

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 11th, 2020, 8:46 am

the nu streets of rage came out this year.. must make it a bumper year for great games...

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » September 11th, 2020, 1:05 pm

Any year in the '70s. The '70s was a pretty garbage decade for gaming overall despite the legendary and iconic games released. Not only were few games actually released in the decade, but a lot of them have aged horribly.

But you guys seriously think 1984 is worse than any year of the '70s? Imo, 1984 still had several great games that have aged better than most '70s games.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » September 11th, 2020, 1:45 pm

True, when I look at the games from like 1977 or 1978, there's not many that stand out. So I could see that choice. But to me the trouble with the 70s was that it's almost a bit unfair. To start, it's hard to count any year before the Atari 2600 came along. Barely anything existed that you could really classify as video games. It'd sorta be like saying 1918 was the worst year for movies. And even 77-79, the industry was so new to the average person. I also give that era bonus points, because the introduction of arcades and the home console industry is an exciting and optimistic time period for games, whereas 1984 was more of a depressing and pessimistic time for gaming.

Return to “Video Games General”