Worst years for video games?

General and high profile video game topics.
BlasteroidAli

Re: Worst years for video games?

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 11th, 2020, 3:18 pm

Space Invaders..
Asteroids
Combat... all from the 70s

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » September 11th, 2020, 3:54 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:Space Invaders..
Asteroids

And all from different years. I thought we were talking about individual years here, not entire decades. Sure, if you include all the great games of the '70s, they might surpass 1984, but 1984 as a singular year is much better than any singular year from the '70s. It's just my opinion, but I believe the '70s is the worst decade for gaming, with the '90s and '00s being my favorites.

But RetroStrife does have a very good point. It might be a little unfair to critique the decade so harshly when gaming was still in its infancy. Not nearly as much variety, and the technology just wasn't there. Objectively speaking, yeah, it'd be one of the top decades due to sheer influence and legacy, but in terms of my own personal enjoyment, I much prefer every single decade afterwards in terms of gaming when the medium actually had time to evolve and find its legs.

strat

Postby strat » September 11th, 2020, 7:58 pm

jon wrote:This is a great topic. I’d say it’s 1997. The PS1 and N64 were duking it out, seeing who could come up with the worst graphics, while making games too complicated.

I find it hard to believe it could be the year where Mario Kart 64, Starfox/Starwing 64, Goldeneye*, Mischief Makers, Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy VII, Crash Bandicoot 2, Megaman X4, Klonoa, and Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey all got released.

It's really hard to look at any year and not find at least a few games I'd care about but 2005 looks kinda mediocre in terms of console games (At least it had Dawn of Sorrow).

*Yes that game aged badly but it was stellar at the time.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » September 11th, 2020, 8:09 pm

strat wrote:
jon wrote:This is a great topic. I’d say it’s 1997. The PS1 and N64 were duking it out, seeing who could come up with the worst graphics, while making games too complicated.

I find it hard to believe it could be the year where Mario Kart 64, Starfox/Starwing 64, Goldeneye*, Mischief Makers, Symphony of the Night, Final Fantasy VII, Crash Bandicoot 2, Megaman X4, Klonoa, and Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey all got released.

It's really hard to look at any year and not find at least a few games I'd care about but 2005 looks kinda mediocre in terms of console games (At least it had Dawn of Sorrow).

*Yes that game aged badly but it was stellar at the time.

Tbf, 2005 also had titles like Resi 4, COD2, Mario Kart DS, Psychonauts, the Warriors, and God Of War. Plus the Xbox 360 came out that year.

strat

Postby strat » September 11th, 2020, 9:04 pm

I thought RE4 came out in '04 (*checks release date*) okay Jan. 11 2005 so it just barely missed '04. God of War probably should bump the year up. The X360's launch line-up got mediocre reviews from what I remember, including Perfect Dark Zero.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 11th, 2020, 10:38 pm

LoganRuckman wrote:Tbf, 2005 also had titles like Resi 4, COD2, Mario Kart DS, Psychonauts, the Warriors, and God Of War. Plus the Xbox 360 came out that year.

Don't forget Shadow of the Colossus.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 12th, 2020, 7:22 am

LoganRuckman wrote:
BlasteroidAli wrote:Space Invaders..
Asteroids

And all from different years. I thought we were talking about individual years here, not entire decades. Sure, if you include all the great games of the '70s, they might surpass 1984, but 1984 as a singular year is much better than any singular year from the '70s. It's just my opinion, but I believe the '70s is the worst decade for gaming, with the '90s and '00s being my favorites.

But RetroStrife does have a very good point. It might be a little unfair to critique the decade so harshly when gaming was still in its infancy. Not nearly as much variety, and the technology just wasn't there. Objectively speaking, yeah, it'd be one of the top decades due to sheer influence and legacy, but in terms of my own personal enjoyment, I much prefer every single decade afterwards in terms of gaming when the medium actually had time to evolve and find its legs.

3 great years in the 70s which started the whole train rolling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66e2aF1Uw3E

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 12th, 2020, 9:39 am

Around the launch of new consoles can occasionally bring about a lean few months. While the PS4 gen you had a few titles like Tomb Raider, Last of Us and so on released which brought much quality to initial mediocrity, the other gen with the PS2 I am struggling to think of games released around 2000/1 when the console launched. I am associating lack of memory with nothing memorable because I can remember just about every other gen, including SNES launch and PS1/Saturn launch (while SNES/Genesis were still pumping out great titles despite the initial titles on Saturn/PS1 hardly qualifying as classics). 2000/01 just seems barren to me.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » September 12th, 2020, 10:18 am

DrLitch wrote:2000/01 just seems barren to me.

It's difficult for me to think of anything from 2000, but 2001 had some memorable games. Just looking at the PS2 lineup I have Silent Hill 2, Ico, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy X, Jak and Daxter, Fatal Frame, Grand Theft Auto 3, Gitaroo Man, Klonoa 2 and Ace Combat 4.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 12th, 2020, 11:34 am

velcrozombie wrote:
DrLitch wrote:2000/01 just seems barren to me.

It's difficult for me to think of anything from 2000, but 2001 had some memorable games. Just looking at the PS2 lineup I have Silent Hill 2, Ico, Devil May Cry, Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy X, Jak and Daxter, Fatal Frame, Grand Theft Auto 3, Gitaroo Man, Klonoa 2 and Ace Combat 4.

Scratch 2001 then as a middling year for gaming, those games are very solid.

2000 then might be that barren year. I do know the Dreamcast was in full swing and the N64/Playstation were going strong so I find it hard to believe 2000 is really barren. I just do not know why I draw a blank around this time period.

Return to “Video Games General”