Overdoing it

General and high profile video game topics.
Voor

Re: Overdoing it

Postby Voor » September 25th, 2020, 9:08 am

I guess it’s from being spoiled by the NES/SNES era, but I get annoyed if I pop in a game and I’m not playing within 30-60 seconds. I loathe opening cut scenes. And unskippable cutscenes in general.

I remember trying Mario Tennis Aces and it started off with an unskippable cutscene that felt like it was 5 minutes long. For a tennis game! That annoyed me so much, I didn’t really give them game much of a chance.

Another thing is that I CANNOT stand a mess of wires, so I opt out of things that include additional cables. That’s actually one reason I’ve gotten much more into portable gaming in the last few years.

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » September 25th, 2020, 11:22 am

TheEagleXIII wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:Can someone please finally tell me how these magical cassettes performed this unfathomable feat? And, if a cassette can do it, does that also mean you could put a video game on a vinyl record?

I never really understood the whole game on a cassette thing either. But man, a game on vinyl!? I need to know this.

Can you imagine saying to someone "Yeah I just got Super Mario Bros 3 on vinyl" and pulling out a massive cardboard sleeve.

Magnetic media man, it's all F.M. (F'ing Magic). I'm pretty sure I saw this originally here on the Critic's board, but behold - a C64 game encoded on a vinyl record back in 1984!!
https://www.polygon.com/2019/10/20/20923280/christian-rock-band-commodore-64-easter-egg-prodigal-program-download

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » September 25th, 2020, 5:18 pm

C-64 Critic that is amazing about a game hidden on vinyl. I can understand the technology for a cassette, but vinyl? What an amazing read thank you for sharing. I am still dumbfounded. How in the hell?

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » September 28th, 2020, 3:11 am

C64_Critic wrote:I'm pretty sure I saw this originally here on the Critic's board, but behold - a C64 game encoded on a vinyl record back in 1984!!
https://www.polygon.com/2019/10/20/20923280/christian-rock-band-commodore-64-easter-egg-prodigal-program-download

Wow, that's pretty cool. I never actually expected it to be possible!

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 6th, 2020, 1:14 am

I just moved back into my house after we had our hardwood floors installed (They look absolutely amazing by the way), so I had to set up my game room again. I'm keeping everything to a minimum. No surround sound, at least not for now. I found that it didn't really add much. And just two TVs, one CRT, one 4K. I used to have 3 CRTs hooked up, but that looked to messy and junky. I haven't even set up my Framemeister yet, why would I need it? The games look better on a CRT, and with no surround sound, I don't need to play them on my 4K set.

This is actually much more enjoyable. I guess as I get older, the less I like looking at a mess. My wife definitely agrees. And I had a perfectly good time playing MLB The Show and Metroid Prime. On 2 different TVs of course.

Return to “Video Games General”