Scariest video game moments/enemies for you

General and high profile video game topics.
Buttermancan

Re: Scariest video game moments/enemies for you

Postby Buttermancan » October 7th, 2020, 10:23 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I don't really get scared by games, not even horror ones. One of my goals is to find a game that legitimately scares me someday. That said, there were a couple times when they did get a reaction out of me.

I remember the canyon level from Peter Jackson's King Kong scaring the crap out of teenage me for some reason. All those holes in the walls, knowing some of them have centipedes inside and others don't. What's a guy to do? Turn a ten minute level into an hour and a half slog by chucking a spear into every single hole to they can't jumpscare me, obviously.

I also remember getting scared by Dark Souls 1. I discovered the entrance to the catacombs for the first time. I went a little ways down it, and a skeleton comes sprinting out of the darkness at me. For some reason, that freaked me out, despite having fought my way through a dozen skeletons just to get there. I turned and started to run away, then stopped and wondered what the hell was wrong with me, turned back around and killed it...only for it to put itself back together and come at me again.

The way you describe the skeleton running at you through the darkness is terrifying. I can imagine it just coming into view and in that split second our brain has already decided for us that we need to run away. We feel like it isn't us that is fleeing. It's almost as if we're watching ourselves from a distance. It's a way of distancing ourselves from the mental trauma!!!!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 7th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Buttermancan wrote:This is the only time in nearly thirty years of gaming that I have literally jumped out of my seat when playing!

hehe, Bioshock got creepy, in a good way, real, real quick.

The audio tapes or books, whatever you called those things, did not help either.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » October 9th, 2020, 8:14 pm

If anyone does Steam, here's some frightening games if you have the courage to play, both are made by Chillas Art:

Aka Manto and Yuki-Onna. Both of them are based off Japanese ghost stories, they'll chill you to the bone as you try to run from the monstrosities and solve some puzzles. Both have two endings one where you can flee, or find all key items and obtain the weapon to destroy the evil. You get a sword in one and a flamethrower in the other, but only after you obtain the key items, the other 98% of the games you're running and hiding from them, just like in Alien Isolation.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » October 9th, 2020, 8:59 pm

Regenerators, Resident Evil 4. I thought I knew what true terror was until I saw these ugly bastards. The part where the camera zooms in on them as they start biting you terrified me, and I almost shut the game off when they star jumping after you cut their limbs off.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » October 10th, 2020, 9:01 pm

Console: Atari 2600
Game: Adventure
Year: 1979
Doritos available then?: Yes
On max difficulty the dreaded chomping Duck-Dragons are as terrifying as they are pixelated.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 10th, 2020, 10:10 pm

Gleebergloben123 wrote:Console: Atari 2600
Game: Adventure
Year: 1979
Doritos available then?: Yes
On max difficulty the dreaded chomping Duck-Dragons are as terrifying as they are pixelated.

This. There is no room for error when dealing with the fast-chomping dragons.
Absolutely terrifying.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » October 13th, 2020, 1:10 am

I watched a lot of psychological thrillers and horror movies when young. I would cover my eyes during certain scenes but I find Gaming to be on another level due to being very immersive. 'Alien Isolation' was too much for me. I turned off my PC before 'It' even showed up. I'll return to it one day, I just need to man up a bit first :D

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » October 13th, 2020, 8:11 pm

Demon's Souls - Tower of Latria Jailers

ring ring, ring ring

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl - Bloodsuckers

is that anomaly moving?... OH GOD WHAT IS THAT!?

Return to “Video Games General”