Site Revamp?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Site Revamp?

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 4th, 2020, 9:14 am

As discussed in another thread, the site is starting to look somewhat antiquated, especially on a high def monitor. The site was designed to be 900 pixels width, which was pretty reasonable 10 years ago! Now it looks like a narrow sliver on some monitors.

The good news is, I think I can fix it mainly by changing the styling settings. I can make the elements bigger (make them stretch with the screen) and increase the size of the text. I'd just like to hear your thoughts before I dive it and begin making wholesale changes.

ActRaiser

Re: Site Revamp?

Postby ActRaiser » October 4th, 2020, 9:29 am

I think you should try it and post a few sample links to it. We can then beta it for you. There's wasted space on the left and right on my monitors when I'm on a PC. But when in mobile mode I don't see those. Do you have Google Analytics or other site analytic numbers to see how many users come through on a browser on a PC versus mobile? If 80% of your traffic is now on mobile you can skip the work as that seems fine to me.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 4th, 2020, 9:57 am

56% desktop
38% mobile
5% tablet

Plus *I* use the desktop mode almost exclusively so I want that to look good.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 5th, 2020, 8:45 am

I've personally never seen the page look the way it did in the blog review that you shared. I use the desktop version at work and on my home laptop, and both are fairly new PCs. On any computer I've used, the content portion of the screen takes up far more space than the star field.

For example, I'm using my work computer right now and just used a ruler on the screen. The screen is 17" across. The "star field" is 3" on each side, and the middle content is 11". To me it looks fine.. but then again, I've been using it forever.

I'm sure to a brand new person stumbling on the site, it looks dated. To me that's part of the charm, since the site is about "retro" media after all. It also makes it very easy to navigate and find things. These days there's a movement toward flashy websites with big graphics, but I find those more cumbersome to navigate. Then again, the trade off is that maybe it attracts less new users this way. But that's tough to say. Anyway.. I like it in its current form, but I'd always support a change if it would help to bring a wider audience on board. I like ActRaiser's suggestion of seeing multiple options too, if possible. Sometimes we don't realize the flaws until we see the improved versions.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » October 5th, 2020, 4:35 pm

I think whatever changes you want to make it might be a good idea to share samples with users before changing it for good. I like the simplistic nature of the site. Some might talk about how mainstream sites like 'Eurogamer' and 'IGN' have a clean modern look to them but personally I find them to be devoid of all character and personality. They all look like boring Doctors surgeries!

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 5th, 2020, 4:48 pm

I think I see what you mean about the browser zoom mode. I think Chrome remembers I typically have the site zoomed in. Or, I do it automatically without thinking about it. With it set to a zoom of 0% it looks like there are 4 or 5 inches on each side.

However, I typically zoom it in to 120-150% which then gives it only 2-3 inches or so of padding on each side.

My vote is to try the adjustment on a few pages. It's not a big deal to me as I manage it automatically without thinking about it. But for anyone coming for the first time it may be off putting (I'm guessing here, hence, the review feedback).

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » October 5th, 2020, 5:26 pm

I love the site the way it is but maybe I'm being selfish. Streamlined and straight to the point. Although I can't argue with any of the other comments as all of them are very good. Great site as always.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » October 5th, 2020, 5:52 pm

I primarily check out the site from my trusty MacBook. No issues at all as far as I can see. I actually like the fact that it kind of looks like a site from the 90's. It helps that it is straight forward and easy to navigate as well. Don't change a thing.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 6th, 2020, 6:42 am

Please no...

If you do, would you be able to have a "Classic" view?

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » October 6th, 2020, 7:18 am

One cool thing about the sites simplicity, is that it loads extremely quickly.

But I suppose it could be wider. Higher resolution screenshots for more modern systems (with the existing images becoming thumbnails, maybe)?

Return to “Video Games General”