Site Revamp?

General and high profile video game topics.
Rainking720

Re: Site Revamp?

Postby Rainking720 » October 6th, 2020, 9:04 am

MSR1701 wrote:Please no...

If you do, would you be able to have a "Classic" view?

Agreed.. Viewing it on my laptop and work PC both look great as-is.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 6th, 2020, 7:37 pm

You guys will be happy to know that the majority of the feedback I've received says I should keep it as it is.

How about making the screen about 10% wider and bumping up the font slightly?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 6th, 2020, 9:11 pm

Anything to make the font larger by default is a good idea.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 6th, 2020, 9:13 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:You guys will be happy to know that the majority of the feedback I've received says I should keep it as it is.

How about making the screen about 10% wider and bumping up the font slightly?

Thanks!

Worth a try, theoretically should be easy to reverse if doesn't pan out.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 7th, 2020, 7:45 am

I did Web design last year as part of a uni course. That is why I am saying keep the site pretty much like it is now. |It is designed well and it is functional. I like it.

This looks a lot like the old BBC site did. A lot of prose and small pictures but it the opinion I come for here and your love of the old games. BBC revamped their site. It is now very big on pictures (and being PC) but shallow on content. I preferred it the way it was before.

Mobile wise I look at the site occasionally and it works well. I looked at it on my kindle fire HD and it was very good. I could go into the chrome developer tools and see what it looks like in various formats but I just like it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 9th, 2020, 6:38 pm

I posted a poll to Twitter and here are the results:

Does my desktop site http://videogamecritic.com need a graphic overhaul to look better on modern, high-def displays?

Yes it needs serious work
28.6%

Maybe but nothing drastic
50%

No, leave it how it is
21.4%

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » October 9th, 2020, 7:00 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I posted a poll to Twitter and here are the results:

Does my desktop site http://videogamecritic.com need a graphic overhaul to look better on modern, high-def displays?

Yes it needs serious work
28.6%

Maybe but nothing drastic
50%

No, leave it how it is
21.4%

I don't use Twitter, would have said No, leave as is.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » October 9th, 2020, 10:16 pm

"retro" design is appropriate

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » October 15th, 2020, 9:25 pm

Check out this site. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news
This is our national broadcaster and its news site. It is number 1 in the country. It used to be so good and looked a lot like this site. Some graphics but the prose does the talking. The Bbc site used to be like that.
Very good and yeah I loved it. Like this site. They revamped it. Now it is mainly about the pictures and links to streaming services. You get prose but not much. I find myself thinking I preferred it the way it was before the revamp. I mainly use it for soccer news. Also tech news is still good.

I still say the site is great as it is.
I like how if you want to know how the game works you look at the youtube link. Very good.

TheEagleXIII

Postby TheEagleXIII » October 16th, 2020, 2:09 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:Check out this site. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news
This is our national broadcaster and its news site. It is number 1 in the country. It used to be so good and looked a lot like this site. Some graphics but the prose does the talking. The Bbc site used to be like that.
Very good and yeah I loved it. Like this site. They revamped it. Now it is mainly about the pictures and links to streaming services. You get prose but not much. I find myself thinking I preferred it the way it was before the revamp.

I definitely noticed the BBC become just another clickbait news website and had a massively reduced word count. If you search for news from a specific year, you can still find the webpages in their old format with working links to related news stories. It's pretty neat seeing how the website used to look. Some of the stuff from early 2000s is a bit dated, but it looks way more functional. Sticking with your football theme, here's the website in 2002 for their World Cup Coverage. It's nice they never updated it to fit the current template.

I still like the layout for this website - although I definitely do think the design will attract the retro crowd and may possibly turn away the modern gamers, even the older ones if they're not super into their retro stuff. The only thing that I ever find makes the place feel jarringly dated is some of the low-res, blurry pictures on the old reviews, especially if they have the old IGN/Gamespot watermarks on them.

Return to “Video Games General”