Sega Trolls Fans Regarding Its Next Mini Console

General and high profile video game topics.
ActRaiser

Sega Trolls Fans Regarding Its Next Mini Console

Postby ActRaiser » October 8th, 2020, 8:59 am

Here was something I thought was kind of funny.

https://www.ign.com/articles/dreamcast- ... ro-console

As reported by Siliconera, Okunari spoke to Famitsu magazine about the future of the mini-console range and suggested that Sega - among other things - is considering a mini version of the cult 1999 console.

"I think for the next one, we may go with a concept close to the Mega Drive Mini," Okunari explains. "If I have to say some names, it could be an SG-1000 Mini or a Dreamcast Mini."

So...between a Dreamcast and an SG-1000 Mini what would you pick? No offense to fans of the SG-1000 but they'd have to be crazy to release an SG-1000 over a Dreamcast Mini.

It would be even better if it supported the Maracas for it.

CharlieR

Re: Sega Trolls Fans Regarding Its Next Mini Console

Postby CharlieR » October 8th, 2020, 12:55 pm

They would definitely be better served releasing a Dreamcast mini over an SG-1000. Not only because the Dreamcast is one on their mainstream consoles, but also because I doubt the general public even knows what an SG-1000 is. I didn't even really know what it was until I looked it up here.

Upon looking at it though, isn't the SG-1000 just like the Master System? Other than the controller, they seem very similar.

VicViper

Postby VicViper » October 8th, 2020, 2:03 pm

CharlieR wrote:They would definitely be better served releasing a Dreamcast mini over an SG-1000. Not only because the Dreamcast is one on their mainstream consoles, but also because I doubt the general public even knows what an SG-1000 is. I didn't even really know what it was until I looked it up here.

Upon looking at it though, isn't the SG-1000 just like the Master System? Other than the controller, they seem very similar.

The SG-1000 is from 1983 while the Master System (Mark 3) is from 1985 or 1986.

The Master System does support SG-1000 games natively (the hardware is in there, in the same way that the GameCube hardware is in the Wii), even the NA & PAL variant does despite the SG-1000 not being released there except in Italy & Australia apparently, it's just that the cartridges don't fit the NA & PAL slots.

A few Master System games (maybe just one?) even use the SG-1000 hardware exclusively, like F-16 Fighting Falcon.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » October 8th, 2020, 6:22 pm

I'd rather see SG-1000. I see little chance that they could do justice to the Dreamcast with a Dreamcast Mini. Emulation complexity and hardware demands are high, the controllers would be significantly more expensive to produce, etc. And most problematic perhaps is the software side itself.

By and large the games that made the Dreamcast special are games that would be the most costly to include. I'm going to paraphrase below a post that I made at AtariAge years ago when they started remastering Dreamcast games two console generations ago and people were excited thinking dozens of their favorite DC games would reappear.

After removing 1st party titles that relied on special controllers, prototypes like Propeller Arena, games with expensive licensing, games that were online dependent, Sega Smash Pack (Horrid emulation), and games that Sega just published and probably don't even own, we're looking at a list roughly as follows for Dreamcast content that's largely free and clear to be rereleased without the involvement of outside parties. And several of these still have potential stumbling blocks.

18 Wheeler: American Pro Trucker
    Confidential Mission

Crazy Taxi (Licensed content is problematic and may require replacement that couldn't easily happen if source code is lost)
    Crazy Taxi 2 (Never played this, but assume it has a licensed soundtrack and such as well?)
    Dynamite Cop
    Ecco the Dolphin (Potential problems since Sega don't fully own the franchise)
    Floigan Brothers
    Jet Grind Radio
    Ooga Booga
    Outtrigger
    Seaman
    (Would require mic support)
    Shenmue
    Shenmue II
    Sonic Adventure
    Sonic Adventure 2
    Sonic Shuffle
    Space Channel 5
    Space Channel 5 Part 2
    Time Stalkers
    (Is this Sega owned?)
    Toy Commander (Is this Sega owned?)
    Virtua Fighter 3tb
    Zombie Revenge

Any Dreamcast Mini will draw upon this list for the core of its lineup, much as the Genesis Mini lineup substantially mirrors past Sega Genesis compilations. The only ray of hope is that the same Genesis Mini did a surprisingly strong job of still giving us a sampling of the outside 3rd party content, licensed games like Castle of Illusion, etc.
Last edited by Atariboy on October 8th, 2020, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 8th, 2020, 6:26 pm

Wow the more I read about these mini consoles the more I realize what a huge obstacle licensing plays in terms of re-releasing these old games. It's a shame really. That's one reason why it pays to own a physical copy of the real thing.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » October 8th, 2020, 8:51 pm

Atariboy wrote:After removing 1st party titles that relied on special controllers, prototypes like Propeller Arena, games with expensive licensing, games that were online dependent, Sega Smash Pack (Horrid emulation), and games that Sega just published and probably don't even own, we're looking at a list roughly as follows for Dreamcast content that's largely free and clear to be rereleased without the involvement of outside parties. And several of these still have potential stumbling blocks.

If I recall correctly Propeller Arena was completed but shelved after 9/11. The game cover had a plane going into a building. Having it come out officially would be pretty sweet.

According to Wikipedia, Skies of Arcadia is owned by Sega. If you add those two games alone I think you've got a pretty good list. Now, what would happen if you included a few of the sports games developed by Sega? An emulated Dreamcast game could be considered the original hardware and the same contracts could be applied. I'm not saying it's possible, but I am saying playing NFL 2K2 and Tennis 2K2 would be pretty sweet.

And if it supported the original controllers through a USB adapter...I'm down for Samba de Amigo. I may be the only person I know to have ordered the Japanese only .ver 2000. :)

Chu Chu Rocket can go on your list. Even without the online mode it's still a fun puzzler.

House of the Dead 2 can go on it as it supports the standard controller.

Sega Bass Fishing and Marine Fishing while obviously supporting the fishing controller can still be played with a standard controller.

Rez is a Sega property. Although not released in the US I believe it was a Pal and Japan released game that could come over.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » October 8th, 2020, 9:18 pm

I missed Skies of Arcadia and Chu Chu Rocket apparently, thanks. And Rez these days is owned by Enhance and isn't a Sega property.

Also, these licensing deals weren't perpetual and expired long ago. Electronic Arts has NFL exclusivity today and Tennis 2K2 features real-life tennis players and probably other licensed content like real-life sponsors. Both games would require editing to make them non-infringing or the acquisition of licenses to clear those hurdles.

And acquiring those licenses not only can be expensive in itself, but the cost of the employee time and lawyers just to pursue securing them is pricey with no guarantees starting out that the licensors will be cooperative or realistic with their dollar demands (Or even will respond to your inquiry).

There's a reason why compilations and plug and plays have generally avoided games with long expired outside licensing. Clearing that content is expensive, which is a tough pill to swallow for these types of products that as a rule feature small budgets and modest profit margins.
Last edited by Atariboy on October 9th, 2020, 4:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

brendand

Postby brendand » October 9th, 2020, 12:47 am

I think Jet Set Radio/Jet Grind Radio would have some licensed song problems

VicViper

Postby VicViper » October 9th, 2020, 2:41 am

brendand wrote:I think Jet Set Radio/Jet Grind Radio would have some licensed song problems

It wasn't much of a problem for the standalone release on Steam & XBLA at least.

Only two songs were missing. They did a pretty good job keeping the soundtrack intact considering every single region got different exclusive tracks on Dreamcast, which means the Steam/XBLA version is automatically the most complete version on that front by combining every Dreamcast version.

That said, that this was one of the axed tracks is tragic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XznePMj7IgM

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 10th, 2020, 8:16 am

Why not release a Dreamcast 2, or what the hell - re-release the original Dreamcast. That console is legendary.

I would love to see a new FULLY OFFLINE Sega Console with a selection of bright arcade titles. Dream on....

Return to “Video Games General”