Saturday Afternoon Gaming

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Saturday Afternoon Gaming

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 17th, 2020, 5:23 pm

Had my buddy Eric over for an afternoon of gaming. Here is the list which may portend upcoming reviews.

Berzerk (Atari 5200) - had to find a controller that worked. funny how they stop working over time
Nightmare on Elm St (NES) - 2P coop is pretty good
Bump n Jump (NES) - much different from the Intellivision version; not as fast.
PGA 2K21 (PS4) - multiplayer setup is painful but golf is solid
NCAA Football 99 (PS1) - fast, fun, and often unintentionally hilarious
Turbografx Mini (various games) - Eric was VERY impressed with this
Dinosaurs For Hire (Genesis) - 2P coop is tricky when it comes to jumping in tandem.
Spiderman 1 & 2 (Xbox) - makes me want to watch the old movies, but disorienting 3D made us want to play 2D.
Spiderman Web of Fire (32X) - looks impressive but where to go?

Thoughts?

jon

Re: Saturday Afternoon Gaming

Postby jon » October 18th, 2020, 12:46 pm

I might have to get one of those early NCAA games again like ‘99. It was the first game I ever played that had the actual stadiums. And it did a great job of recreating the atmosphere which is easier said than done. It was definitely one of those video game moments. Another PS1 game which was one of the first to have actual ballparks in 3d was Triple Play ‘97 and ‘98. The ‘98 version has the best home run derby I’ve ever played. And it has all the great home run hitters back then like Mark McGuire, Albert Belle and everyone who was in the majors back then.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Saturday Afternoon Gaming

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 18th, 2020, 1:45 pm

One thing that struck me about the NCAA Football game was the actual footage used in the intro of football action, fans, and cheerleaders. Nowadays everybody has to be computer generated to avoid lawsuits I guess.

Return to “Video Games General”