The downside of applying updates- rocket league

General and high profile video game topics.
bluenote

The downside of applying updates- rocket league

Postby bluenote » October 19th, 2020, 8:17 pm

It's been a few months since I've played rocket league on switch. Decided to fire it up to play with my kids. Applied the update first, only took 5 mins. I then noticed the interface is different, I couldn't find local multiplayer.
Finally found it, but multiplayer is gone!!

Did some googling, and apparantly the company is going to fix it with another update, but that was almost a month ago.

In the meantime, I cant play the game with my kids.

And, this is a physical copy.

Basically they have completely changed the game that I bought 2 years ago. They could possibly decide to keep multiplayer out and there is nothing we can do.

So, a game I bought physically 2 years ago is now rendered useless to me. I bought this only to play with my kids, I have no interest in playing online or by myself.

Can someone remind me why physical is better? Now, I find very little difference.

Is there any way to remove the update and go back to the older version? If i knew the update would do this, I never would have applied it.

What do you think? I dont like the liberties that companies can take with games you've purchased. Basically they can change a game any way they want after you've bought it and unless you dont apply the patch (I think it was a mandatory update, but I cant say for sure)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: The downside of applying updates- rocket league

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 19th, 2020, 8:47 pm

You're preaching to the choir on this one. I've always been astonished by how easily consumers have rolled over when the game industry has taken away both ownership and control of the games we purportedly "own".

I have also experienced adverse effects from "updates" which is why I disabled the downloading of updates on my PS4. These updates not only fill up my hard drive with unwanted junk but they also bog down my network to do so.

It really is insidious how we've been sold a bill of goods and taken it for "convenience". It's a deal with the devil. Now we don't have to leave our couch but we have nothing to show for it.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » October 20th, 2020, 7:55 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:You're preaching to the choir on this one. I've always been astonished by how easily consumers have rolled over when the game industry has taken away both ownership and control of the games we purportedly "own".

I have also experienced adverse effects from "updates" which is why I disabled the downloading of updates on my PS4. These updates not only fill up my hard drive with unwanted junk but they also bog down my network to do so.

It really is insidious how we've been sold a bill of goods and taken it for "convenience". It's a deal with the devil. Now we don't have to leave our couch but we have nothing to show for it.

The thing is though, all updates I have ever applied have been bug fixes, etc, that improves the game and to me, are somewhat necessary. (I only have the Switch as a current console, so no idea about PS4/XBox). I don't want to do a catch all of disabling all updates to all games. But, this is the first time in my experience that an update is changing the game, not just fixing little bugs. Heck, even our Super Mario themed cars are now gone in Rocket League!

I guess moving forward, I will have to research each update before applying to ensure it's not fundamentally changing the actual game.

Tron

Postby Tron » October 29th, 2020, 3:03 pm

Wow that suckles. My dad said that something like that happened to him on his Civilization game on PC. What really sucks is when the game connects to the internet and detects a patch and won’t run until the patch is installed. It’s gonna be a pain, but I foresee myself having to keep the internet disconnected except for when I need it.

Voor

Postby Voor » October 29th, 2020, 3:59 pm

An interesting situation, because this occurred when the game went free to play in September. So, as a previous owner of the game, you have every right to complain; but to the “newbies” who paid $0.00 for it, they can’t complain at all. Lol

Lols like psyonix is still working to fix it, but it’s been over a month....

I played some multiplayer last night, and as fun as it is, I was thinking that my online gaming days may be over. While it’s fun, I rarely feel like I accomplished anything, compared to say, making progress in a single player game or knocking out a retro game for the 20th time. Will probably keep mario kart around for when I get the itch.

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » October 30th, 2020, 7:54 am

In my experience, updates break more than they fix. I avoid them till something stops working.

Still, they might be necessary for online games. Some bugs can have weird, esoteric FX, which could create security flaws. Fighting a bar-code creature & finding you suddenly have 256 copies of an item is one thing; fighting a bar-code creature & making your credit card info available to whoever you play against is another.

If you have a physical copy, couldn't you uninstall & reinstall the game? Give it sorta a factory reset if you will? At the very least having a disk reduces the amount of content you need to download; on a slow connection that's great.

Of course, in my opinion, you shouldn't need to install a game at all. Insert media, play media. That's why I didn't like the idea of hard disks in consoles; I knew developers would start requiring installations.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » October 30th, 2020, 8:20 am

pacman000 wrote:In my experience, updates break more than they fix. I avoid them till something stops working.

Still, they might be necessary for online games. Some bugs can have weird, esoteric FX, which could create security flaws. Fighting a bar-code creature & finding you suddenly have 256 copies of an item is one thing; fighting a bar-code creature & making your credit card info available to whoever you play against is another.

If you have a physical copy, couldn't you uninstall & reinstall the game? Give it sorta a factory reset if you will? At the very least having a disk reduces the amount of content you need to download; on a slow connection that's great.

Of course, in my opinion, you shouldn't need to install a game at all. Insert media, play media. That's why I didn't like the idea of hard disks in consoles; I knew developers would start requiring installations.

That's a great idea, I honestly didn't think of that. I'm going to try that tonight and see if it forces me to apply the update or not.

Thanks for the suggestion!

noah98

Postby noah98 » October 30th, 2020, 8:42 am

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/amazo ... 0-6483890/

This is our sad future. We don't actually own our content anymore. This is why I think collecting retro game cartridges is important to me. Even disc based media is suspect due to disc rot. Cartridges from the 70's are still working great though. I'm encouraged by the work of companies like Analogue who are creating new hardware to play retro games. FPGA gives us the closest possible experience to the original consoles, even more so in some cases than software emulation, so that we can keep enjoying our games as entertainment for years to come. Pop a cartridge in, no load times, no updates, just gaming!

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » October 30th, 2020, 2:49 pm

Glad it's not just me. I own Rocket League on Steam for the PC, and have preached it's goodness for years to anyone would listen. I hadn't played it myself for several months, and recently tried to fire it back up to play against my son (who lives in another state) and was shocked to see that I was required to LOG IN to the game using an Epic game account! Now I have an Epic account so this is a trivial matter, but I refused to do so - I bought the game on Steam, I am starting it using my Steam account, I shouldn't need yet another account to play the game! I realize that the publisher was either bought by Epic or sold the game to them, but how in the world is this right? At worse they should just require an Epic account for anyone who buys it after Epic took over the game. I should still be able to fire the game up and play directly through Steam without any additional layers like I always have.

Voor

Postby Voor » October 30th, 2020, 4:12 pm

Yeah, but you were cool with logging in through one company, so why not the other? Not a big deal if you ask me.

I think the issue is that unlike Fortnite, which has always been free, you could previously “own” Rocket League, and therefore feel entitled to certain aspects of the game as you bought it.

But for people getting rocket league free for the first time, they can’t really complain about something they have no ownership of.

Return to “Video Games General”