The downside of applying updates- rocket league

General and high profile video game topics.
pacman000

Re: The downside of applying updates- rocket league

Postby pacman000 » October 30th, 2020, 7:24 pm

Voor wrote:Yeah, but you were cool with logging in through one company, so why not the other? Not a big deal if you ask me.

It’s probably more of a connivence thing than a privacy thing; using two accounts is a hassle.

I suppose the company which bought Rocket League added their log-in to help bring the game into their ecosystem. It’s hard to run a company when you have to deal with a dozen different systems. That’s probably one reason Infogrames went bankrupt; they bought a lot of companies w/o a plan to unite them, to make them more efficient.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » November 11th, 2020, 12:54 pm

bluenote wrote:
pacman000 wrote:In my experience, updates break more than they fix. I avoid them till something stops working.

Still, they might be necessary for online games. Some bugs can have weird, esoteric FX, which could create security flaws. Fighting a bar-code creature & finding you suddenly have 256 copies of an item is one thing; fighting a bar-code creature & making your credit card info available to whoever you play against is another.

If you have a physical copy, couldn't you uninstall & reinstall the game? Give it sorta a factory reset if you will? At the very least having a disk reduces the amount of content you need to download; on a slow connection that's great.

Of course, in my opinion, you shouldn't need to install a game at all. Insert media, play media. That's why I didn't like the idea of hard disks in consoles; I knew developers would start requiring installations.

That's a great idea, I honestly didn't think of that. I'm going to try that tonight and see if it forces me to apply the update or not.

Thanks for the suggestion!

So, last night I uninstalled the game and then put in the game card. It forces you to update the game, you cannot play without the update.

Well, I guess I'll just wait until they patch the game with the local co-op feature.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I thought it would have worked.

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » November 15th, 2020, 12:56 am

bluenote wrote:
bluenote wrote:
pacman000 wrote:In my experience, updates break more than they fix. I avoid them till something stops working.

Still, they might be necessary for online games. Some bugs can have weird, esoteric FX, which could create security flaws. Fighting a bar-code creature & finding you suddenly have 256 copies of an item is one thing; fighting a bar-code creature & making your credit card info available to whoever you play against is another.

If you have a physical copy, couldn't you uninstall & reinstall the game? Give it sorta a factory reset if you will? At the very least having a disk reduces the amount of content you need to download; on a slow connection that's great.

Of course, in my opinion, you shouldn't need to install a game at all. Insert media, play media. That's why I didn't like the idea of hard disks in consoles; I knew developers would start requiring installations.

That's a great idea, I honestly didn't think of that. I'm going to try that tonight and see if it forces me to apply the update or not.

Thanks for the suggestion!

So, last night I uninstalled the game and then put in the game card. It forces you to update the game, you cannot play without the update.

Well, I guess I'll just wait until they patch the game with the local co-op feature.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I thought it would have worked.

Just a suggestion but perhaps you could try uninstall the game and any associated files, then turn off your Internet and try and reinstall it and see what happens :)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 15th, 2020, 9:13 am

Great idea! Why didn't I think of that?

Return to “Video Games General”