More Guest Reviews?

General and high profile video game topics.
Retro STrife

Re: More Guest Reviews?

Postby Retro STrife » November 1st, 2020, 12:32 am

Tron wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:Any "fuddy duddy" that refuses to consider download only games because of their retro gamer roots is not only missing out on some of the best games of the past 15 years, but also, missing out on exactly the type of games that would appeal most to someone with retro gamer roots.

That wasn’t right of me to speak for the Critic and calling him names. My apologies. I’m the “fuddy fuddy” and speaking only for myself it’s about ownership of property. I like to own what I purchase. I know it’s an archaic belief system, but one I struggle with letting go.

Nah no worries Tron, I didn’t mean it that way. You were using it in a good-natured way, not an insulting way. And we’re probably all fuddy duddies here to some degree. I meant my statement to sound zealous - saying that most retro gamers would appreciate digital games if they gave them a chance - but if it came across condescending that wasn’t my intention. All good.

Like most of us here, I strongly prefer physical media and have a lot of concerns about the gradual transition toward all-digital. But I also feel that a ton of high quality games (especial indie games) would not exist today if not for the digital model, and many of those games are heavily geared to old school gamers like ourselves. Some of my favorite games of the past decade would never have gotten the financial backing for a physical release.

Buttermancan

Re: More Guest Reviews?

Postby Buttermancan » November 1st, 2020, 4:46 am

Guest reviews are not a bad idea but maybe only for digital only games that he tends to stay away from. Though many digital titles end up getting a physical release there are countless classics that do not!
Virtua Racer is one of my favourite games of this generation and the most value for money game I've bought in years. I think the critic would love it but it's quite possible that he'll never get to play it.
For those wondering, here is a shameless plug to my Review of "Virtua Racer"
https://videogamecritic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38790&t=18753

Return to “Video Games General”