Fixing up the Mobile Site

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Fixing up the Mobile Site

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 9th, 2020, 8:31 pm

Ooops I did it again....

I added the "read more" links back to the mobile page. I don't remember if they were ever there before, but considering the walls of text, I think they make sense. Let me know if you think they are positioned right.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » November 9th, 2020, 11:11 pm

I'm not sure which pages you're referring to when you say you added the "read more" links back in. The Movie and Video reviews looks great, like the mini console pages.

But... the themed review specials are a hodgepodge of some reviews in full, while some have "read more" links. Personally, I don't like the read more links, but if you want to have them, I think you need to have them on every review. I think it looks really scattered right now.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 10th, 2020, 9:54 am

Screen shots on the main page look about 20% too big to me (they run off the edge). Makes the banner look pretty small, and other stuff is kind of spaced out more—which maybe you intended. Font size on game list is also bigger.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 10th, 2020, 5:47 pm

Voor - thanks for the feedback. What kind of phone are you using?

I *think* the mobile site looks good for most people. I tested it on the wife's iphone and surveyed my friends, and they couldn't find any major issues.

Still, while I'm digging into the code I want to make it look good for the widest audience. So keep the feedback coming.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 10th, 2020, 6:55 pm

Breaker -
The mobile pages are like the normal ones, in that if a review length reaches a certain threshold a "read more" link is added. So the shorter reviews are shown in their entirety, and the long ones have a read more link. I can lower the threshold to create more read more links, or raise it to create less. I'm trying to find a happy medium. It might take a while for everybody to get comfortable with the new system. But I'm open to suggestions as always.
VGC

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 10th, 2020, 7:35 pm

I emailed you a screenshot of the stuff Voor reported. I see the samething on an S8 at least in regards to the large pics on the main page.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 11th, 2020, 9:02 am

Thanks for the picture Actraiser. That's really helpful.

So I go to this page:
https://responsivechecker.net/device/galaxy-s8

and enter in this URL:
https://videogamecritic.com/mobile/index.htm

and it looks fine to me. Try it!

I'm wondering if maybe some phones might be still referencing some outdated CSS files or something along those lines? Could someone try clearing their cache to see if that makes a difference?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 11th, 2020, 9:36 am

Okay, what's weird is if I use the links on my computer, everything looks great.

If I use that same set of links on my phone I get the exact same thing on the phone on https://responsivechecker.net/device/galaxy-s8 site.

I emailed you another picture showing what it looks like when I zoom out all the way. Hope it helps.

Bud

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 11th, 2020, 9:56 am

What browser are you using?

Breaker

Postby Breaker » November 12th, 2020, 7:49 am

The main page looks great on my galaxy s20 this morning!

Return to “Video Games General”