Only "Player" Featured on Two Different Sports Games?

General and high profile video game topics.
Breaker

Only "Player" Featured on Two Different Sports Games?

Postby Breaker » November 2nd, 2020, 5:32 pm

I was looking through the 32x games I do not yet have, and realized that World Series Baseball "stars" Deion Sanders. Just prior to that, I was looking at my Genesis collection and my eyes ran across Prime Time NFL "starring" Deion Sanders.

Probably a dumb question, but is Neon Deion the only player to have his/her name featured in the title of video games for two different sports? Other than Mario (or some other Nintendo character, I suppose)? It's not like there are lots of options, but it still stood out to me.

Was Shaq featured in a basketball game title as well as Shaq Fu?

Retro STrife

Re: Only "Player" Featured on Two Different Sports Games?

Postby Retro STrife » November 2nd, 2020, 6:25 pm

Bo Jackson was the face of a football game and a baseball game, on the same cartridge..

Breaker

Postby Breaker » November 2nd, 2020, 9:01 pm

That would be the logical option!

Are there any others?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 3rd, 2020, 12:40 am

I racked my brain a bit and the only other example I could think of was Shaun White, who has had both snowboarding and skateboarding video games as the cover athlete during the PS3/X360/Wii era. Among the more traditional sports, Deion and Bo are the only two athletes that I can think of who were big enough stars in two sports to get their own games in each.

Breaker wrote:Was Shaq featured in a basketball game title as well as Shaq Fu?

Surprisingly I don't believe Shaq ever had a basketball game where he was the star (unless you count when he was the cover athlete for NBA 2K7).

However, if you were counting athletes who appeared in multiple genres of games, there's always Michael Jordan. He had Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City as a side-scrolling action game on the SNES, and was the title star in a few basketball games. Jordan vs. Bird is probably the best known, but there's also Michael Jordan in Flight -- an obscure PC-only 3-on-3 basketball game released in 1993 and featuring MJ with a bunch of generic teams and players. I'm only aware of the game because I owned it and played it way too much on my PC in the mid-90s. (See below for screenshot. Note: It was not a good game.) MJ was also in the Space Jam basketball game on PS1 and for NBA 2K11 he was the cover athlete and heavily featured in the game modes.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 3rd, 2020, 9:36 am

Retro STrife wrote:Bo Jackson was the face of a football game and a baseball game, on the same cartridge..

Bo Knows Baseball! Bo Knows Football!!!

This was my first thought when I saw the thread name.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » November 3rd, 2020, 10:38 am

I know pro wrestling isn't quite a legitimate sport, but Brock Lesnar was on the cover of both WWE Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain and UFC Undisputed 2010.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » November 3rd, 2020, 1:57 pm

LoganRuckman wrote:I know pro wrestling isn't quite a legitimate sport, but Brock Lesnar was on the cover of both WWE Smackdown: Here Comes The Pain and UFC Undisputed 2010.

This is great. This is exactly the kind of thing I was wondering about.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 3rd, 2020, 7:14 pm

I have absolutely no idea how this could be a topic or thread of discussion.

But I love it!

What made you think of this? It feels like a great topic for a click-bait article.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » November 3rd, 2020, 10:29 pm

ActRaiser wrote:What made you think of this? It feels like a great topic for a click-bait article.

I was literally just looking at the list of Genesis games and the list of 32x games and saw that Deion was on two different sports. Thought I'd ask. Bo Jackson was the obvious other choice, and I didn't realize there was a single cart that had both sports. The Brock Lesnar find was brilliant.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » November 4th, 2020, 3:53 pm

Retro STrife wrote:I racked my brain a bit and the only other example I could think of was Shaun White, who has had both snowboarding and skateboarding video games as the cover athlete during the PS3/X360/Wii era. Among the more traditional sports, Deion and Bo are the only two athletes that I can think of who were big enough stars in two sports to get their own games in each.

Breaker wrote:Was Shaq featured in a basketball game title as well as Shaq Fu?

Surprisingly I don't believe Shaq ever had a basketball game where he was the star (unless you count when he was the cover athlete for NBA 2K7).

However, if you were counting athletes who appeared in multiple genres of games, there's always Michael Jordan. He had Michael Jordan: Chaos in the Windy City as a side-scrolling action game on the SNES, and was the title star in a few basketball games. Jordan vs. Bird is probably the best known, but there's also Michael Jordan in Flight -- an obscure PC-only 3-on-3 basketball game released in 1993 and featuring MJ with a bunch of generic teams and players. I'm only aware of the game because I owned it and played it way too much on my PC in the mid-90s. MJ was also in the Space Jam basketball game on PS1 and for NBA 2K11 he was the cover athlete and heavily featured in the game modes.

Shaun White is a fun example. That basketball game was exactly what I was wondering for Shaq! I'd say serving as the cover athlete counts.

The Jordan example of Chaos in the Windy City is the perfect compliment to Shaq. While the others are all basketball games, Chaos is a completely different game type.

This is why I posted this question on this forum - I knew there had to be someone else out there!

Return to “Video Games General”