Wow, check out those graphics!

General and high profile video game topics.
comchia

Re: Wow, check out those graphics!

Postby comchia » November 17th, 2020, 11:31 pm

Interestingly enough, I think a lot of modern sports titles can do this for me. One moment that stuck out to me was, at Target back in the early 2010s, heading towards the television section to see what the score was on the current NFL game, and, to my surprise, realising that it was actually a Madden game! My grandma and mum did the same thing playing Madden and Vancouver 2010 in season. Given that those have a more common frame of reference, I think those kind of games can still be amazing to me in their visual realism.

djc

Postby djc » November 18th, 2020, 12:14 am

The other day I introduced my 15-year old son who is an avid Madden 21 player to NFL 2K5 on the original Xbox along with the history of how the game (and the 2K series) came to be.

A few takeaways (remember he plays Madden 21 every day and is good at it)
1. He had no problem whatsoever navigating the in-game menus and options and even doing more advanced things like depth charts and substitutions.

2. He loved the overall presentation of the game, graphics, half-time report, etc...

3. His opinion after our game "wow, this is really good".

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » November 18th, 2020, 7:49 am

The games over the years that I’ve had that feeling:

Dragon’s Lair (arcade) 1983. A Disney-like arcade game that blew my mind.

Time Traveler (arcade) 1992ish? A Holographic arcade game with cheesy game play but the holographic aspect at the time was really cool.

Donkey Kong Country (SNES), beautiful game.

Mario 64: When the N64 first came out I would go to the department store and just watched peeps play this game.

Moss (Oculus Quest): Even though the Quest ‘console’ hasn’t been much for me, Moss’s graphics blew me away.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 19th, 2020, 12:13 am

icepeople wrote:Image

These are all beautiful. Sometimes, there's a thin line between genius and madness, and this is one of the most impressive tightrope walks I've ever seen.

Researching the platform, it only got more insane after your article. Seriously, parallax scrolling under those conditions?

Thank you, for a new rabbit hole.

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » November 19th, 2020, 10:52 am

Earthworm Jim (Genesis)
Gears of War (Xbox 360)
Myst (PC)

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 19th, 2020, 5:23 pm

God of War. PS2. It was so visually amazing for a PS2 title I couldn't believe it. I didn't think the console could handle that but somehow Sony made it work. And God of War 2 is even better

djc

Postby djc » November 22nd, 2020, 1:33 am

Two PC entries for me:

1. Phantasmagoria is one of my favorite games and I was completely blown away the first time I played it. It was like an interactive movie with a solid storyline to it.

2. Batman Returns for the PC was leaps and bounds above what the consoles had at that time. It was slow and plodding (point and click/puzzle solving) but a fun game with impressive graphics.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » November 22nd, 2020, 8:45 pm

There's been more than a few games that had graphics that made me go "Whoa" over the years. But here's a few that immediately came to mind when I first saw this thread...

1) The Magic Of Schererezade (NES) I remember me and my cousin just being totally blown away by the graphics. Especially when it came time to fight the bosses at the end of each level. Or chapter as they were referred to. Each boss had a lot of detail and took up big chunks of real estate on the screen. Particularly the Chapter 4 boss Salamander, who took up the entire top half of the screen. It was super impressive to see something that big on the screen nearly 30 years ago, and whenever I pick up the game and play through it today, it still impresses the hell right outta me.

2) Toe Jam and Earl: Panic on Funkotron (Genesis) Wow. For a system that could only display something like 64 colors on the screen at a time, the game designers certainly did an outstanding job making the most out of such a limited color palate. The colors just pop right out at you. Nice use of parallex scrolling in some sections of the game too.

3) E.T The Extra Terrestrial (Atari 2600) Strange to have an Atari game on this list for sure, considering the limitations of the system. But I gotta be honest, folks. When I first saw the title screen, it just blew my mind to see so much detail on one screen alone, as such a thing wasn't very common in those days. Usually, you'd see a simple logo saying the title of the game with a copyright date underneath it. Or a shot of what the in game visuals would look like. But to see a full fledged title screen with music playing was something to behold. Now, the in game graphics, on the other hand, were merely adequate. But then you had the scientist, the FBI agent and Elliot rendered in multiple colors. Which was a pretty nice touch. Such a shame that all that effort went into a game that is, to be quite frank, not very good or fun to play at all...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 24th, 2020, 6:45 pm

Never heard of Magic Of Schererezade, but have to have it because I can't pronounce it! It meets my criteria.

Also, good points about ET. Illustrated title screens were brand new back then.

Return to “Video Games General”