You get only 3 systems.......

General and high profile video game topics.
DocHix

Re: You get only 3 systems.......

Postby DocHix » November 11th, 2020, 4:07 pm

1. Atari 2600 (Still using my original, unmodified 2600 from the 1970s. It's like a member of the family at this point.)

2. 3DO (A truly great/strange video game console with a number of exclusive titles that are well worth playing.)

3. Sega Dreamcast (Just edged out the Saturn. A joy to own and a real achievement technically...many games still look brilliant 20 years on!)

Now if we can just keep finding decent CRTs to play these consoles on!

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 11th, 2020, 11:08 pm

Nothing beats a good gaming PC, if we're allowed to completely ignore the spirit of the question.

And most of my current console library could easily fit on just three machines (PSP, 3DS, Switch), if we allow backwards compatibility and digital downloads.

But where's the fun in that? To make this more of a challenge, I went for the 3 most practical choices.

1. A good VR system with internet capabilities: Seriously, if we're all limited to 3 pre-existing systems, then something in the near future went horribly wrong. Whether you're hiding in an underground bunker, or slowly dying of radiation poisoning in a hospital bed, a VR system may be the closest any of us ever get to an open sky again. Besides, the only dating simulators I'm interested in all involve voice chat and other players.

2. Gameboy Engage: The need for an experimental solar powered Gameboy should be obvious. Even if our power grid completely collapses, you'll never escape your addiction again. Plus, everyone knows that a Gameboy can even survive a desert war. In a way, it's kind of comforting to know the human body is more fragile than this armored tank of a handheld gaming system.

Especially if you'd ever need to use it to fracture someone's skull; it's always better to be safe than sorry.

3. An R-Zone headset. A very helpful reminder that your suffering could always be worse.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 11th, 2020, 11:29 pm

^ :lol: quality posts like this are when we need to get a like button

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » November 12th, 2020, 5:32 am

Ugh, this is a difficult one...

Would have to say...

Switch - Nintendo Goodness and Nostalgia in a single package; I've been having lots of fun with my Switch Lite, and it is as close to a true home console that I have played and enjoyed since the 90s (I don't have time to sit long in front of a TV screen without something coming up, be it work or life...). Bonus points if the online support is an option, as then classics like SNK's NGPC releases are included...

3DS XL - With its own library of greats, this also granfathers in the DS library, with all of its delicious games. Both system excel at RPGs, strategy, platformers, and puzzlers, and the selection of unique titles and remakes is rather good.

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive/Nomad - as much as I love the SNES, many of the games that I would play on it are represented or have newer versions on the above two systems. While I didn't own a Genesis personally until around 2001, this system played a huge part of my childhood nostalgia from friends, family and neighbors having the system. Many games are good arcade and platformer fare, and I have a specific soft spot for Starflight. If being able to run PAL games was an option for the selection of 3 systems, I would add the 32X to the list for the ability to play Darxide...

I REALLY wanted to add Game Boy Advance to the list, due to the ability to play both Game Boy and Game Boy Color titles. So much nostalgia there...

Verm3

Postby Verm3 » November 12th, 2020, 5:52 am

I can't pick three consoles, but the PS1 and PS2 would probably be my two choices as I play a lot of fighting games and rpg's on console and those are two of the best consoles for them imo.

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » November 12th, 2020, 6:15 pm

Alright, here goes:

SNES: For all the reasons stated above.

PS2: DVD player and PS1 + 2 games. While I would say the fully backwards compatible PS3 I don't personally own one, so I won't go there.

Switch: Handheld or TV use, fantastic retro and modern library. Has quickly become one of my most played systems.

This is hard though. I love my Dreamcast and 360 too. And that doesn't even go into the Saturn which I wish I could rank higher but I just can't.

HawgWyld

Postby HawgWyld » November 13th, 2020, 8:58 am

Wow. Tough. I'll give it a go, however.

1. Xbox Series X -- so I can plan all of my Xbox titles from the original through the newest (is that cheating, though?)

2. Atari 2600 -- Still my fave.

3. Sega Dreamcast -- so I could play Skies of Arcadia at least once a year.

I would try to jam the Hyperkin Retron 5 in there somewhere, but I suspect that's out of bounds...

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 13th, 2020, 9:08 am

SNES - because it's awesome

Dreamcast - because it's awesome

Xbox 360 - mainly for Halo LAN games but it then opens it up to all the other great games on the console.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 13th, 2020, 10:24 am

Ahhh I forgot about the Switch Lite. I may have to change my 2DS pick to that. I love the 2DS, but as I get older, that small screen may be hard on my eyes. Lol

Return to “Video Games General”