You get only 3 systems.......

General and high profile video game topics.
Voor

You get only 3 systems.......

Postby Voor » November 10th, 2020, 3:07 pm

Just like the title says, you can only have 3 systems for the rest of your life. Here’s mine:

SNES—it just has soooo many great, classic single player games I never get tired of playing. Just timeless. I’d often rather play one of them for the 20th time, rather than the newest hottest game.

64—the SNES had some fun multiplayer games, but the 64 was “the” machine for couch play. Some of my handing memories of all times was “friends n 64”. True, it didn’t have a ton of games, but they were quality and fun-inducing.

2DS—while the Switch is obviously the king of portable systems, it’s size and form factor and price make it feel almost like “too much” for a true portable. The GBA had the best design of a portable system, but the 2DS won me over by being able to play online games in short bursts, which is often my habit these days. The system is comfortable, and you don’t feel bad if it gets broken (due to being uber cheap).

bluenote

Re: You get only 3 systems.......

Postby bluenote » November 10th, 2020, 4:02 pm

NES - Never had one as a kid (I had the master system), but I cant get enough of it. It's the perfect style of games that I enjoy. (Arcade, action, platformers, puzzle, etc).

SNES - For all the reasons above. More of the same but better graphics

Switch - I'm not a huge modern gamer, but the switch has a nice mix of the classic nintendo franchises along with some 3rd party modern games, like doom, etc. Add in some great indies. Really love this system and is quickly becoming my favourite

Honorable mention would be ps3

jon

Postby jon » November 10th, 2020, 5:03 pm

This is an amazing thread.

Neo Geo: All of my primary games. There's only a few games from other systems I would need.

SNES: Super Mario Allstars and Yoshi's Island.

Game Boy: Tennis and Super Mario Land 1 & 2
Last edited by jon on November 10th, 2020, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » November 10th, 2020, 5:06 pm

Simple for me here too:

SNES - Everyone so far has mentioned this system, and for good reason, too many good games, too many good memories. Donkey Kong Country, Mario Kart, Mario World, Super Castlevania, Legend of Zelda. Grateful I have the SNES Classic, for myself and my children when the time comes. More than a system, a member of the family.

Gameboy Color - Part of my Teen years, Pokemon Red, Mario Tennis, Super Mario Bros. Deluxe, and Best of Microsoft Entertainment Pack.

Iphone - I don't know if this counts or not, but I can now play PS1 games like FF7 and Castlevania Symphony of the Night.

If not then.....PS Vita - Just to play some Sly Cooper games

Honorable Mention Coming soon:PS2, just so I can play an upcoming fan-made game called Sly 4: Deceit of Thieves. An alternate timeline game discounting Thieves in Time, with the darkness and grittiness of Sly 2 with a new storyline - Sly comes out of retirement to rescue Carmelita from a walrus thug while getting pursued from a Raccoon inspector. Release date is currently unknown but for more information:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCswqCi ... Nrw/videos

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » November 10th, 2020, 5:24 pm

I'm on my phone and not my desktop. Since I rarely use my phone to view the site I will just have to name the three for me. Atari 2600, Genesis and Playstation 2.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » November 10th, 2020, 7:34 pm

PC - can play most modern and retro games and with emulation on cards, just about any console save for perhaps Xbox360 or PS3 (which are poorly emulated but many games that gen were on PC as well). Get Arcade games as well, thousands, more than you can play. No need for three choices, with a PC, just the one will do :D

Limited to console only - I would guess PS4/5, Xbox Series X / One X, and the Switch would open up a reasonable amount of Sony's/Microsoft's/Nintendo's classic library as well as modern titles. Microsoft much better with backwards compatibility but there is a reasonable enough selection of classic Sony and Nintendo content on the other two (be it online or released as part of a "classics" pack). Wont cover everything but you would be able to play a lot of modern and retro, more than enough so that there is not enough time in the day for you to realistically play all.

If just talking of desert island scenario, no internet, no cheating, just the base console and it's library in form of hard copies, then...

1. SNES
2. Playstation 2 (provided I am allowed PS1 discs as well)
3. Switch (Most good Indies have a hard copy)

Breaker

Postby Breaker » November 10th, 2020, 11:24 pm

I actually did this when I moved across the country earlier this year for a new job, and only took 3 consoles with me (the rest came when my wife and step-daughter sold the house and moved 4 months later).

I brought the Genesis, the N64, and the fully bacwards-compatible PS3. This gave me the best 16-bit sports titles and that classic Genesis twangy music, the best couch co-op machine for when my buddies came over, and access to a massive library spanning more than two decades with the ability to play blu-ray. It worked great!

djc

Postby djc » November 11th, 2020, 12:00 am

Interesting thread and here are my choices (my three favorite so don't hate on me too much):

1. Sega Master System
My favorite system.

2. Sega CDX
Yes I know it's cheating but having my Genesis and Sega CD/32X games in a package a little bigger than a portable CD player is a good thing.

3. Sega Dreamcast
I've always been partial to Sega systems and had more of them growing up.

GeoX

Postby GeoX » November 11th, 2020, 6:45 am

Nintendo DS... not only a great system but I could play GBA titles as well. This fulfills my mobile needs.

Genesis... fast for it’s time and plenty of games from the 16 bit era. Implementation of sports titles gives it edge over the wonderful SNES.

Atari 800xl (or XEGS with keyboard and disk drive)... best 8 bit computer ever!

It would be awfully hard to pass on the PS2 for the sheer number of games and it’s a powerful machine. Dreamcast was great but died a too early death leaving it’s library small. NES would be great as well.

Three is just too small a number!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 11th, 2020, 9:12 am

SNES - the best overall library of the 2D era

PS2 - probably the best retro system of the 3D era.. Personally I've never been drawn to the PS2 for whatever reason (back then, I owned an Xbox and Gamecube first before finally buying one, and I barely collect for it now), but it's library is so diverse and the quality is so high that it's tough to pick another choice

PS5 - gotta have the newest system too, right? I think the PS4 has been the best system of the current gen, so I would take my chances with the PS5 for the next gen.

Return to “Video Games General”