Most Boring Launch Ever?

General and high profile video game topics.
User avatar
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin
Posts: 14510
Joined: April 1st, 2015, 7:23 pm

Most Boring Launch Ever?

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 22nd, 2020, 5:21 pm

So the new Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X have been launched, and neither offers ANY compelling reason to buy it.

It's all about the games, and what does the PS5 have? Yet another Dark Souls and a Spiderman spin off? The Xbox launch titles? As far as I can tell, NOTHING of consequence. What the heck is going on here? How are you supposed to get excited about either one of these?

Granted, both consoles will be in very short supply around the holidays so I probably couldn't get one if I wanted to. But why would I even want to? Next year may be a different story but right now it's hard to make a case for either one.

Thoughts?

matmico399
Posts: 778
Joined: November 25th, 2015, 6:11 pm

Re: Most Boring Launch Ever?

Postby matmico399 » November 22nd, 2020, 5:31 pm

Straight into the point answer. I just finally got the PS4 about a year ago. There is nothing about this launch that gets me excited. I will wait for the price drop in a couple of years and pick one up then.

User avatar
Gentlegamer
Posts: 549
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 1:01 am

Re: Most Boring Launch Ever?

Postby Gentlegamer » November 22nd, 2020, 6:41 pm

Demon's Souls being remade and back online is something to be excited about; however, I don't find even that compelling to buy in at launch.

User avatar
ActRaiser
Posts: 1060
Joined: April 8th, 2015, 12:38 pm

Re: Most Boring Launch Ever?

Postby ActRaiser » November 22nd, 2020, 8:20 pm

N64 with only two games launching would be my vote.

I was Marioed out by that point and wanted nothing to do with another Mario game. I was waiting for Shadows of the Empire to arrive before I bought one.

SuperiorShark
Posts: 18
Joined: August 5th, 2019, 6:31 pm

Re: Most Boring Launch Ever?

Postby SuperiorShark » November 22nd, 2020, 8:25 pm

My friend and I had the same thoughts. Without any major exclusives, there's really no need to rush out and buy them. I'm not sure what's on the release calendar next year but maybe something will come out that will push me to buy a Series X or PS5

ThePixelatedGenocide
Posts: 598
Joined: April 29th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Re: Most Boring Launch Ever?

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 22nd, 2020, 10:52 pm

The Sega Nomad.

Zero new games. Were there any ads for it? Because I didn't see them.

I bought mine on sale, shortly after launch.

Runners up: Atari XE ("Let's give our fans a graphical downgrade and new ports of games they already own!"), Mattel Hyperscan ("Shouldn't we make a game worth buying all these cards?"), and Pokemon Mini. ("We could sell this minigame collection as an entire console library! Genius!")

The PS5 only qualifies as a boring launch because it's safe, and because a dramatic leap in graphics technology is no longer possible within a single generation. There's plenty of people excited by it, otherwise I'd be able to actually buy one.

bluenote
Posts: 178
Joined: August 14th, 2015, 5:16 pm

Re: Most Boring Launch Ever?

Postby bluenote » November 23rd, 2020, 8:08 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:So the new Playstation 5 and Xbox Series X have been launched, and neither offers ANY compelling reason to buy it.

It's all about the games, and what does the PS5 have? Yet another Dark Souls and a Spiderman spin off? The Xbox launch titles? As far as I can tell, NOTHING of consequence. What the heck is going on here? How are you supposed to get excited about either one of these?

Granted, both consoles will be in very short supply around the holidays so I probably couldn't get one if I wanted to. But why would I even want to? Next year may be a different story but right now it's hard to make a case for either one.

Thoughts?


I would imagine the pandemic has had a major effect on both launches. I would guess there were probably more games that were going to be launched, but were pushed out. Microsoft and Sony probably wanted to launch in time for christmas regardless of games being postponed.

Just my guess though, I could be way off.

User avatar
Gentlegamer
Posts: 549
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 1:01 am

Re: Most Boring Launch Ever?

Postby Gentlegamer » November 23rd, 2020, 10:24 am

ActRaiser wrote:N64 with only two games launching would be my vote.

I was Marioed out by that point and wanted nothing to do with another Mario game. I was waiting for Shadows of the Empire to arrive before I bought one.


Interesting, I felt the same. I bought N64 in summer 97 with Shadows of the Empire and once I finished it couldn't find other games because I was Mario'd out. I ended up exchanging the system for PlayStation.

User avatar
AtariToday
Posts: 82
Joined: January 12th, 2017, 6:51 am

Re: Most Boring Launch Ever?

Postby AtariToday » November 23rd, 2020, 1:15 pm

I thought the PS2 was super boring when it launched. The only selling point it had for me was that it included a built in DVD player as most of us were still buying movies on VHS at that point. The games available at launch did nothing for me..FantaVision anyone? I had a dreamcast and at the time it had better games. It took me quite awhile (about 2 years after launch) to finally change my mind and purchase a PS2.

ThePixelatedGenocide
Posts: 598
Joined: April 29th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Re: Most Boring Launch Ever?

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » November 23rd, 2020, 1:46 pm

AtariToday wrote:I thought the PS2 was super boring when it launched. The only selling point it had for me was that it included a built in DVD player as most of us were still buying movies on VHS at that point. The games available at launch did nothing for me..FantaVision anyone? I had a dreamcast and at the time it had better games. It took me quite awhile (about 2 years after launch) to finally change my mind and purchase a PS2.


PS2 was my first thought, but SSX was a quality launch title.

And Tekken Tag Tournament is one of my favorite games in the series.

Plus, watching the ridiculous hype train get derailed by poor textures and a lack of anti-aliasing? This Dreamcast owner couldn't get enough of the schadenfreude.


Return to “Video Games General”