Most Boring Launch Ever?

General and high profile video game topics.
ActRaiser

Re: Most Boring Launch Ever?

Postby ActRaiser » November 23rd, 2020, 3:12 pm

AtariToday wrote:I thought the PS2 was super boring when it launched. The only selling point it had for me was that it included a built in DVD player as most of us were still buying movies on VHS at that point. The games available at launch did nothing for me..FantaVision anyone? I had a dreamcast and at the time it had better games. It took me quite awhile (about 2 years after launch) to finally change my mind and purchase a PS2.

Yeah, the PS2 was going to be my second choice. Good call on all accounts. Yep, I pretty much did the exact same thing but it was probably even much later as both the Xbox and Gamecube were far more enjoyable for me.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 24th, 2020, 9:30 am

I agree with you - I have heard barely any buzz about these two launches. Especially the Xbox launch. Is that a result of the systems themselves? The unusual times? Or are we just getting too old to hear the buzz? It's also hard to transition right now when the PS4 and Xbox One have such a vast selection of games, most people are still working on backlogs, the next-gen graphics aren't enough to wow us anymore, and most of the new games will be on both generation of consoles for now.

I agree about the game lineups too - I have no interest in either. In fairness though, you'd probably have a harder time thinking of good launch line-ups than bad ones. Very few systems have a killer app right out of the gate. And the few that have -- like N64 (Mario 64), Xbox (Halo), Switch (Zelda: BotW) -- had pretty bad line-ups other than that one must-have game.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » November 24th, 2020, 2:34 pm

I think it does have something to do with what is going on in the world, and maybe some games were delayed because of it? I do agree, there seems to be little fanfare about either systems release.

I think maybe it has to do with the fact that we have pretty much seen it before at this point. I'm sure the ps5 has a lot more horsepower than the ps4, but in terms of graphics, will most people be able to tell the difference between last gen aNd current gen. It's not like the jump from ps1 to ps2 or ps2 to ps3, it's just not as impressive.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 24th, 2020, 3:50 pm

Retro STrife wrote:I agree about the game lineups too - I have no interest in either. In fairness though, you'd probably have a harder time thinking of good launch line-ups than bad ones. Very few systems have a killer app right out of the gate. And the few that have -- like N64 (Mario 64), Xbox (Halo), Switch (Zelda: BotW) -- had pretty bad line-ups other than that one must-have game.

You had me at N64.

And then lost me at Xbox.

I got up at 5:00 AM to get in line early for the Xbox launch. I got Dead or Alive 3, Project Gotham Racing and Halo! Now, that was a freaking launch line up.

Switch also had Mario Odyssey - - so both a Zelda game (even if it was a retread of the Wii U game) and a Mario game at the same time actually made it a pretty good launch line up.

But I definitely agree with you on the N64.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 24th, 2020, 4:34 pm

@ActRaiser -- You might be right about that Xbox line-up. The Xbox was the only system I've ever bought right at launch.. the system design had me wanting it for months, and then the Halo reviews sealed the deal. My two launch games were Halo and Madden 2002. I wasn't impressed with the rest at the time. I'm not really a fighting or racing game fan, so I overlooked PGR and DOA3. But you make a good point -- as launch exclusives go, those are some really solid choices. And actually, I just looked at the Xbox launch titles list and it was a really deep line-up overall. No other classics in there, but plenty of solid choices. Good catch pointing that out.

As for the Switch, Mario Odyssey came out about 6 months after launch. But I do agree it had a good first year, just based on Zelda and Mario alone.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » November 24th, 2020, 5:35 pm

Retro STrife wrote:As for the Switch, Mario Odyssey came out about 6 months after launch. But I do agree it had a good first year, just based on Zelda and Mario alone.

My bad. I didn't get the Switch until Christmas of that year. Good call. For some reason I thought it launched with it.

Return to “Video Games General”