GameStop in bad shape

General and high profile video game topics.
Retro STrife

Re: GameStop in bad shape

Postby Retro STrife » January 15th, 2021, 12:14 pm

Breaker wrote:Is there some sort of private equity offer out for GameStop? That kind of spike only makes sense to me if someone is offering that price to buy out the company...

But, frankly, I don't know what the draw would be for that private offer. GameStop doesn't own it's buildings as far as I know, so there's no real estate play. I don't think there's much goodwill to be had in the brand name.

You're on to something there. The reason isn't completely clear, but it's at least partly related to a shake-up on the company board, including three extra seats for one of its biggest investors. Sounds like there's optimism that this is going to result in pivoting the company in a better direction. Sales were also a bit improved this year over last year. But it could be related to a short squeeze too, which, if so, is less of a positive indicator than the other factors. Anyway, here's more details:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gamestop ... 17498.html

By the way, the stock is falling over 10% today and wouldn't be surprising if it corrects itself a bit. Still, regardless of where it ends up, from a gamer perspective, the uptrend is good news.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 15th, 2021, 3:00 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
Breaker wrote:Is there some sort of private equity offer out for GameStop? That kind of spike only makes sense to me if someone is offering that price to buy out the company...

But, frankly, I don't know what the draw would be for that private offer. GameStop doesn't own it's buildings as far as I know, so there's no real estate play. I don't think there's much goodwill to be had in the brand name.

You're on to something there. The reason isn't completely clear, but it's at least partly related to a shake-up on the company board, including three extra seats for one of its biggest investors. Sounds like there's optimism that this is going to result in pivoting the company in a better direction. Sales were also a bit improved this year over last year. But it could be related to a short squeeze too, which, if so, is less of a positive indicator than the other factors. Anyway, here's more details:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gamestop ... 17498.html

By the way, the stock is falling over 10% today and wouldn't be surprising if it corrects itself a bit. Still, regardless of where it ends up, from a gamer perspective, the uptrend is good news.

Having worked at a few GameStops back a few years, no, GameStop does NOT own their locations, only renting. Which in certain locations (Mall of Georgia area being one of the worst ones I know of), the rent is absurd.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 26th, 2021, 4:00 pm

So I stopped at the local GameStop today while waiting for a prescription at a nearby drug store. There wasn't anybody else in there but the girl working there seemed nice enough.

I couldn't help but notice an abundance of toys. The problem with the game sections is they are so unorganized, you can't really find what you want. The mix the old games with the new, used with the new.

Why in the hell would they not have a "new releases" rack like game stores used to do? Separate the used games from the old. Heck, I don't even like buying "new" games from there because the game box is already opened, covered with sticks, and full price.

By the way, you may have heard some people have been buying GameStop stocks to drive the value up. Don't get involved in something like that. A few people may profit from this stunt but a bunch of people will be left holding the bag.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » January 26th, 2021, 4:50 pm

Are we going to have any millionaires here after the short squeeze?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 26th, 2021, 6:03 pm

Oh and by the way I asked about PS5 availability and she said they probably wouldn't be available in the store until June.

And while nobody was in the store she sure was getting a lot of phone calls.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 26th, 2021, 8:17 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Oh and by the way I asked about PS5 availability and she said they probably wouldn't be available in the store until June.

That was my experience. Non stop calls asking about their inventory I suppose. And the questions I heard in person was some goofy stuff. You have to have a lot of patience to deal with this clientele. Lol

sixam

Postby sixam » January 27th, 2021, 11:01 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:By the way, you may have heard some people have been buying GameStop stocks to drive the value up. Don't get involved in something like that. A few people may profit from this stunt but a bunch of people will be left holding the bag.

This has all been traced to a group on Reddit.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1030009280

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » January 27th, 2021, 11:55 am

Voor wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Oh and by the way I asked about PS5 availability and she said they probably wouldn't be available in the store until June.

That was my experience. Non stop calls asking about their inventory I suppose. And the questions I heard in person was some goofy stuff. You have to have a lot of patience to deal with this clientele. Lol

This is an understatement.

I still recall a phone call the manager took at the GS I worked at in KY many years ago, with the question "When is the next NBALIVE coming out?"

Not NBA Live, NBALIVE, all one word and phonetically spoken...

Tron

Postby Tron » January 29th, 2021, 9:01 am

sixam wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:By the way, you may have heard some people have been buying GameStop stocks to drive the value up. Don't get involved in something like that. A few people may profit from this stunt but a bunch of people will be left holding the bag.

This has all been traced to a group on Reddit.

https://markets.businessinsider.com/new ... 1030009280

This sounds like a good thing. Wallstreet has been driving down the stock trying to destroy and manipulate the market. Finally some private investors have been able to shake things up and wallstreet is getting owned. Watch what happens here. I predict wallstreet will find someways to make it harder for the actual “people” to be able to invest and influence the stock market. Watch as they find ways to take more of the general public’s rights away.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 29th, 2021, 9:27 am

Looks like the massive beating those hedge fund managers are taking has resulted in them asking the government for help. Of course, the Reddit guys are loving this chance to “stick it to the man”. It really is a bizarre situation.

Return to “Video Games General”