Favorite Handheld?

General and high profile video game topics.
IronKnux

Favorite Handheld?

Postby IronKnux » April 30th, 2005, 9:57 am

Video Game Critic, I'm curious... what's your favorite video game handheld? Even the one's you dont have posted on your site can count... each handheld had its own innovations and weaknesses... which do you enjoy the most? I'd say the Sega Game Gear. It had all of the great classic Sega franchises, graphics that blew the Gameboy and Gameboy Color out of the water, an absolutely HUGE LCD screen, and fantastic control. The down sides are the poor audio and the lack of battery life, but I still love the thing.

sega saturn x

Favorite Handheld?

Postby sega saturn x » April 30th, 2005, 10:05 am

The main problem with the game gear is its ugly as a honda element.  I think the agme boy has to be the greatest handheld system of all time.  It must havie been doing soemthing right to beat out all those other systems for so long.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Favorite Handheld?

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 30th, 2005, 10:12 am

[QUOTE=IronKnux]Video Game Critic, I'm curious... what's your favorite video game handheld? Even the one's you dont have posted on your site can count... each handheld had its own innovations and weaknesses... which do you enjoy the most? I'd say the Sega Game Gear. It had all of the great classic Sega franchises, graphics that blew the Gameboy and Gameboy Color out of the water, an absolutely HUGE LCD screen, and fantastic control. The down sides are the poor audio and the lack of battery life, but I still love the thing.
[/QUOTE]

Well, first of all, I was really LATE into getting into portables. My first was the Game Boy Advance for Pete's Sake! As a result, I don't have any sentimental feelings for the old ones like the Game Gear Lynx, etc. So I'd have to go with the good ole' GBA as my all time favorite. It's really the perfect handheld system, which is why the PSP and DS are having a hard time eclipsing it. I don't think they will.

blaster

Favorite Handheld?

Postby blaster » April 30th, 2005, 11:57 am

I'm going to go with the Sony PSP! If only I had any money for this thing. Much better graphics than one might believe. I'm holding my breath that they will lower its price someday.

Eiskis1

Favorite Handheld?

Postby Eiskis1 » April 30th, 2005, 12:37 pm

So you're all "PSP beats all the other handheld systems out there", and you don't even own it?

sega saturn x

Favorite Handheld?

Postby sega saturn x » May 1st, 2005, 12:14 am

There you go making sense again what the hell is wrong with you!  I mean come on the x box 360 is THE best systems ever made.  Just because its not out and havent played it dosent mean its not the best.  The ps3 is a close second though and the nintendo revolution is of course dead last.  They should just drop out.

Gunstarhero

Favorite Handheld?

Postby Gunstarhero » May 1st, 2005, 6:55 pm

The Lynx, because when it was released it destroyed the Gameboy in every way imaginable. Better graphics, games, sound, screen, options, packaging...everything. I was fortunate enough to have enough friends with Lynx's to enjoy the multiplayer games like 4 player Warbirds, Slimeworld, Gauntlet, Xenophobe, Checkered Flag etc....can't beat it.

Paul Campbell

Favorite Handheld?

Postby Paul Campbell » May 1st, 2005, 11:05 pm

I hope you're being sarcastic, Saturn. I'm pretty sure you are, but not entirely.

Space Guppy

Favorite Handheld?

Postby Space Guppy » May 2nd, 2005, 12:01 pm

[QUOTE=Gunstarhero]

The Lynx, because when it was released it destroyed the Gameboy in every way imaginable. Better graphics, games, sound, screen, options, packaging...everything. I was fortunate enough to have enough friends with Lynx's to enjoy the multiplayer games like 4 player Warbirds, Slimeworld, Gauntlet, Xenophobe, Checkered Flag etc....can't beat it.

[/QUOTE]

In every way imaginable, except total receipts...  I agree though, far superior product, obviously.

J.M. Vargas

Favorite Handheld?

Postby J.M. Vargas » May 2nd, 2005, 12:55 pm

[QUOTE=Gunstarhero]

The Lynx. I was fortunate enough to have enough friends with Lynx's to enjoy the multiplayer games like 4 player Warbirds, Slimeworld, Gauntlet, Xenophobe, Checkered Flag etc....can't beat it.[/QUOTE]

Yes you are a lucky one.  I never found enough people with either Lynx systems or copies of specific games I wanted to play to get maximum multiplayer joy out of the system.  The few times I did it was a blast!  For its time the Lynx was the handheld to beat.  Hard to believe that Epyx (R.J. Mical's company that desinged the system before selling the rights to it to Atari) had the system complete and ready to go by 1987/1988 (two full years before Nintendo's GameBoy took off).  It was Atari's decision to sit on the technology for several years (the Tramiels only released the Lynx when they tried to cash-in on the sudden popularity of Nintendo's system) that sealed its faith.

Return to “Video Games General”