Limited Run Thread

General and high profile video game topics.
MSR1701

Re: Limited Run Thread

Postby MSR1701 » March 25th, 2021, 7:30 pm

Saw this, and if I didn't already have most of the games on other collections, I'd grab it.

Had they included Virtua Racer, I might have been more interested...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 25th, 2021, 7:39 pm

So I assume these are the arcade versions of games? Or are they console titles?

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » March 25th, 2021, 7:59 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:So I assume these are the arcade versions of games? Or are they console titles?

Pretty positive they are the arcade versions. A few of the games like Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder never got a home console release.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 26th, 2021, 4:45 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:So I assume these are the arcade versions of games? Or are they console titles?

I need to dig out my Retro Gamer mag that looked at this. This is an "International" version, though if I recall Limited Runs product page not all games are full English

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 26th, 2021, 5:16 am

For reference, here is the description from LRG:

SEGA Astro City Mini
$129.99
This product is COMING SOON!

This item has not gone on sale yet. It will be available on Friday, March 26th at 10AM Eastern Time.

The Astro City Mini is a functional miniature version of the full-sized arcade cabinet that goes by the same name, and it includes 37 playable games.

The Mini features a built-in LCD screen, but if you’re interested in the bigger picture, it also includes an HDMI-out port, a headphone jack, and two USB-A ports.

This features localized English packaging for the US market.

Only 3,500 units have been manufactured in English packaging for the US market.

Alex Kidd: The Lost Stars (with Stella)
Alien Storm
Alien Syndrome
Altered Beast
Arabian Fight **
Bonanza Bros. *
Columns **
Columns II
Cotton **
Crack Down
Cyber Police ESWAT
Dark Edge **
Dottori Kun (Dot Race)
Fantasy Zone
Flicky
Gain Ground **
Golden Axe
Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder **
My Hero
Puyo Puyo *
Puyo Puyo 2 *
Puzzle & Action: Ichidant-R *
Puzzle & Action: Tant-R *
Rad Mobile
Quartet 2
Scramble Spirits **
Sega Ninja
Shadow Dancer **
Shinobi
Sonic Boom
Space Harrier
Stack Columns *
Thunder Force AC
Virtua Fighter
Wonder Boy
Wonder Boy in Monster Land *
Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair
* Denotes a game that has menus and text in Japanese
** Denotes a game that has portions of untranslated text, but menus are entirely English.

Please note that many of the games marked with an * or ** are still entirely playable to those without the ability to read Japanese.

PLEASE NOTE: There is no purchase limit on this item. This item is in-hand and will ship shortly after the sale.

Production Status: In-Hand

This item will only ship when ALL ITEMS in your order are ready to ship. Please check the production status of other items in your order if it has not shipped yet.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » March 26th, 2021, 8:05 am

Now that I've looked at a couple of reviews for the Astro City Mini, one of the things that has turned me off some is the fact that they used a 16:9 screen. WTF? The games are displayed with borders on both sides, so at least they didn't stretch the picture, but still -- this makes no sense to me.

Overall, though, the reviews are mostly positive -- actually having controls with microswitches is nice -- but I'm not sure if I'm completely sold yet.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 26th, 2021, 8:11 am

If it was a true portable like the Evercade or a Mini console (Genesis, Turbo, SNES), I might be more interested.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 26th, 2021, 12:43 pm

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » March 26th, 2021, 4:24 pm

Looks like the 1st batch of the Astro City mini sold out in about 10 minutes this morning. Anybody out there happen to buy one?

The 2nd batch is coming up soon at 6pm ET for anyone interested.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » March 27th, 2021, 9:18 am

snakeboy wrote:Now that I've looked at a couple of reviews for the Astro City Mini, one of the things that has turned me off some is the fact that they used a 16:9 screen. WTF? The games are displayed with borders on both sides, so at least they didn't stretch the picture, but still -- this makes no sense to me.

Overall, though, the reviews are mostly positive -- actually having controls with microswitches is nice -- but I'm not sure if I'm completely sold yet.

They probably found it cheaper to source 16x9 lcd screens vs 4x3. One cool thing about 16x9 is you can have the bezels match the arcades bezels when emulating the games. I have no idea if they did this or not but that's one plus for 16x9 for emulation.

Return to “Video Games General”