Christmas Loot 2020

General and high profile video game topics.
DaHeckIzDat

Re: Christmas Loot 2020

Postby DaHeckIzDat » December 25th, 2020, 11:31 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
DaHeckIzDat wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:For video games, I got the game Control for PS4.

Hoo boy, I remember that one. I had a lot to say about that game, but very little of it actually had to do with the game itself, haha.

I’m curious what you mean! If it doesn’t involve a spoiler. I’m actually not too familiar with the game, other than getting interested because of all the awards it got.

There are spoilers, so I'd wait until you've finished to read it. Once you have, though, I'd be real interested to hear what you think!
https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... it=Control

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » December 26th, 2020, 9:10 am

A pretty good haul this year:

-Horace (eshop): it’s marked down to $2.04 from $15, and it’s one of the most interesting games I’ve played all year. Highly recommended.
-Capcom Beat Em Up Bundle (eshop)
-Burnout Paradise (Switch)
-Mario + Rabbids
-New Super Mario U Deluxe
-Last of Us II (PS4)
-four pounds of gourmet coffee beans
-some device that steams out the wrinkles on a shirt
-$100 check from in laws

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » December 27th, 2020, 7:43 am

I got a PS2 Demo disc that proves my friends actually paid attention to the things I want, instead of just gifting me the things they can understand.

Videogame demos are the best way to discover games (and sometimes entire genres) you'd never touch on your own. Plus the hit or miss nature of the collections only adds to the fun.

I also got a PS1 game (Mr. Domino), Midway Arcade Treasures 2, and a 256 GB memory chip for my switch.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » December 27th, 2020, 9:20 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I think this was my worst gift. It came from my sister and I thought it was a gag gift. It turned into a big joke.

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons ... 410&sr=8-1

It's very difficult to grasp the handle; uncomfortable to hold. It can't be microwaved and needs to be hand-washed. Since it's oversized, it's difficult to store.

I haven't even played D&D in decades.

I love my coffee mugs and played D&D but that does not look practical at all. The last time I played D&D was in 91 or 92 while I was deployed to Honduras. To pass the time we had many beer and pizza fueled D&D game sessions. Not to mention plenty of NES gaming sessions as well. Tons of fun. I wish I could play D&D now but finding people and the time even post-coved is a challenge.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » December 27th, 2020, 9:36 am

I could have received something video games related but my wife was complaining she kept getting outbid on eBay for a PS5 she wanted to buy me. I told her not to worry about eBay and absurd pricing.

Instead I received:
- A hair clipper (Grade 0 all over is how I do my hair so will save $20 per month on haircuts)
- Travel Bag
- A vintage Versace Suede Bomber (which is an exact replacement for one I ruined)
- Kitchenware (CoVid closed down my favorite Indian Restaurant and I have taken cooking to task)
- A Benchmade knife to add to my collection

Steam have got their yearly sale going, I will no doubt pick off a couple of titles. Control looks quite interesting and there are always Indie titles that flip for a few bucks on sale. Looking at picking up Guacamelee! 2 and one of the Shantae sequels.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » December 27th, 2020, 10:14 am

From my Mom I got a some food/gas giftcards, a power bank/engine jump-start kit, cologne, clothes, Beetlejuice on DVD and a Fitbit that I'm probably going to exchange (I'm afraid it will get broken or lost at work, where I get most of my exercise).

A few years ago, the family on my Dad's side started asking for a list rather than guessing what I wanted. I didn't ask for any games (since they didn't buy any the last time I put them on the list) and instead got some cash and the following:
- 5 books of sheet music (three for drum methods, a 1001 basslines book and a fingerstyle guitar anthology)
- two guitar pedals (a Donner Jet Convolution Flanger and a Caline Pressure Tank Compressor)
- and this Blu-Ray, which I asked for on a whim:

81mxot-k7aL._SL1500_.jpg
81mxot-k7aL._SL1500_.jpg (97.25 KiB) Viewed 148 times

Going to pick up a few things on the PSN/Steam/GOG sales. Definitely going to get River City Girls, Supraland, a couple of Touhou games (Luna Nights and Double Focus) and the Double Dragon & Kunio-kun: Retro Brawler Bundle (18 games, 11 of which have never been released in North America, on sale for $19.99 on PSN).

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » December 27th, 2020, 2:32 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I think this was my worst gift. It came from my sister and I thought it was a gag gift. It turned into a big joke.

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons ... 410&sr=8-1

It's very difficult to grasp the handle; uncomfortable to hold. It can't be microwaved and needs to be hand-washed. Since it's oversized, it's difficult to store.

I haven't even played D&D in decades.

I can't get this link to work for some reason...

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » December 28th, 2020, 11:59 am

No games for me, but I got All-Clad cookware, an awesome cleaver, a jam-making kit, a cheese-making kit, and Apple earbuds.

I’ve been trying to get the XBox X-Series of Boxes X Fortune 128 Series X’s Console for my younger son but it’s been unsuccessful so far, which he totally understands.

Tron

Postby Tron » December 28th, 2020, 7:13 pm

I got Pikmin 3 for my teenage daughter. She said she likes it, but has already beaten the story mode. My girlfriends daughter got animal crossing, she’s 9 years old. My teenage daughter is so excited to finally have someone to talk to about animal crossing.

nesfan

Postby nesfan » December 31st, 2020, 3:35 am

My dad got me a new really warm winter coat, the new Bruce Springsteen CD, and Persona for the original Playstation!! My friends got me a new Steelers hat, a Zelda LTTP shirt, a Super Metroid shirt, a Playstation pin set, a book called The Game Console: A Photographic History From Atari to Xbox by Evan Amos, Choplifter and Zillion for the Master System, and Killer Queen Black, Sega Genesis Classics, and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for Switch, and a $20 Eshop card. And my grandmother sent me $50 that I have not spent yet and I'm not sure what I want to spend it on, to be honest. All in all, it was a very good Christmas.

Return to “Video Games General”