Difficulty Level

General and high profile video game topics.
jackj5000

Difficulty Level

Postby jackj5000 » December 28th, 2020, 2:20 pm

What difficulty level do you usually prefer to play on? I thought about this the other day when I was playing a game that in the past I played on the higher difficulty. I started playing, and then decided meh, I'll play on an easier level. I see myself doing that more and more, the challenge isn't as satisfying anymore, and I'd rather just make it through the game instead of spending more time trying to master it. Thoughts?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Difficulty Level

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 28th, 2020, 5:49 pm

I'm pretty much in the same boat. When I start playing a game I usually select normal to gauge the difficulty. But once I hit a wall I usually drop the difficulty (if possible) so I can actually enjoy the game!

Even on easy there's no guarantees, but you'll probably save a lot of time.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » December 28th, 2020, 6:07 pm

I'm between a rock and a hard place in that All-Pro is too easy but I can't quite hack it on All-Madden. This is for the PS2.

jackj5000

Postby jackj5000 » December 29th, 2020, 9:20 am

I'm playing a couple games right now. The Witcher 3, I played a couple years ago on normal difficulty. For me it wasn't too bad, but it took a little while to master some of the mechanics, and that extended my play time quite a bit. Got pretty far but didn't actually finish it. This time I started on normal, died a couple times, then took it down to easy. I just want to make it through the game this time. Also playing Doom Eternal, trying it on normal for now. Died a couple times, but not too bad for now.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » December 29th, 2020, 12:49 pm

The impact of difficulty setting varies so much across different games.

Usually I play on default / normal difficulty, then once I'm good, I'll make it harder *if* the game is actually fun. I've done this on Virtua Fighter and Street Fighter games. I've done it on football, hockey, and racing games (Dirt 4 most recently). Although one way to increase challenge in a racing game is to select Manual Transmission. Anyway, I've done it on games like Earthworm Jim, Spider-Man vs Kingpin CD, and more recently on SOR4 - usually there is more challenge added which is fun, and not just added frustration. Sometimes the challenge is simply that you don't get as many lives or continues.

But with 2D horizontal and vertical shooters, I usually select an easy setting because otherwise I just can't keep up. Likewise, if a game is sloppily programmed, I'll play through it on easy just to experience it, I'm not torturing myself trying to fight their inconsistent collision boxes and mangled gameplay engine.

More modern examples, I played Batman Arkham Asylum on normal, and Spider-Man PS4 on normal. But both my young adult sons immediately played these on the hardest difficulty setting. They enjoyed it that way! But I'm not as skilled anymore so I won't try it. It seems you need better timing on your attacks/defense for the AA game, and Spider-Man simply seems to make you have to hit everybody 2x as much which isn't that fun to me. Hard mode might be fun, but I don't have the time or attention span for these games that young people have, so ...nope. Normal mode is good enough for me.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » December 29th, 2020, 12:52 pm

for me, it mostly depends on what type of game I'm playing. For example, if I'm playing a one on one fighting game, I like to have the difficulty settings either at easy or medium. Anything lower than that it's a cakewalk to get through. But anything higher and I wind up getting my butt kicked six ways to Sunday. For side scrolling and action games, I just go for the default settings. And for sports games I like to increase the difficulty in some titles and decrease it in others. Again, it all depends on what title I happen to be playing at that time..

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » December 29th, 2020, 2:25 pm

It depends.

If I enjoy a game, I'll probably find ways to make it harder on my own. Like beating Streetfighter without blocking or killing off the other members of my party and seeing how far the main character can get on their own.

Because the actual hard modes aren't as much fun.

Who wants to beat a psychic enemy that can read my button inputs and respond perfectly until an arbitrary random number says they can finally take damage?

Too many times, hard mode is just a cut and paste damage sponge laughing off your spitballs while demanding you play a bad rhythm game. Or, if you're lucky, grind your way through carpal tunnel syndrome.

It's almost as bad as pixel perfect leaps of faith in games that punish you for not being the level designer.

All I ask from a hard mode is that whoever made it proves they can "Get good", before they demand it from the player.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » December 29th, 2020, 2:27 pm

jackj5000 wrote:What difficulty level do you usually prefer to play on? I thought about this the other day when I was playing a game that in the past I played on the higher difficulty. I started playing, and then decided meh, I'll play on an easier level. I see myself doing that more and more, the challenge isn't as satisfying anymore, and I'd rather just make it through the game instead of spending more time trying to master it. Thoughts?

ever since i started playing video games in 1981 anytime there was a difficulty level i've always started the game on the highest
especially with sports games...i have a friend who is the exact opposite and always starts on Beginner and to me thats no fun at all lol

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » December 29th, 2020, 6:32 pm

Try playing Doom on the ultraviolence level. I think you can gauge it from that.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » December 30th, 2020, 12:13 am

An interesting side question, what games were outstanding in how the hard mode was implemented?

Return to “Video Games General”