Difficulty Level

General and high profile video game topics.
TheEagleXIII

Re: Difficulty Level

Postby TheEagleXIII » December 30th, 2020, 3:32 pm

When I was a kid I always went for Easy - unless it removed a large amount of content.

Now I always go for a normal/medium setting. I always figure it'll give me some replay value upgrading to a harder setting when/if I complete it. With Sports games I tend to get a feel for the game first and then slowly upgrade if I find I'm winning too many games too easily, but I prefer them as difficult as possible without it feeling like the game is cheating or severely disabling me.

Lucifixion

Postby Lucifixion » December 30th, 2020, 7:58 pm

Depends on the genre. If I'm playing a shooter or the like, I go all-out. Beat-em ups and games like Raiden should be as much of a challenge as possible because that's pretty much the whole point. On the other hand, there are games that punish you obscenely if you fail and make you waste an hour or more. A recent memory is Valkyria Chronicles' skirmishes wherein you're put in virtually impossible situations. I'd like to think that I'm a big man and can handle any challenge, but some games on harder difficulties suck the fun right out of the game. My first thought, given that I grew up playing it, is how you all set the difficulty in Contra III...?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 31st, 2020, 1:57 pm

With modern games, I try to always play on Normal. I figure that fits what the developer intended, and it's usually not too difficult. And most of all, I know some games punish you for playing on Easy (such as giving a worse ending), and I always worry about that.

That said, I'll play on Easy if I'm just trying to run through a game to see the story/experience, or if I'm just replaying an old favorite for nostalgia's sake. I'll also play on Easy in some older games (16-bit and earlier) because they're ridiculously hard to begin with and who has time to master those games anymore..

I almost never play on Hard or higher -- I don't need the extra stress. I know some people up the difficulty on a second playthrough, but I almost never do another playthrough - too many other games out there for that. The one exception is sports games, where I ratchet it up until the AI is competitive.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » December 31st, 2020, 2:41 pm

I've been gaming since the early 80s. I usually start on default difficulty, sometimes harder. I've never liked to start on easy.

Shapur

Postby Shapur » January 1st, 2021, 3:14 pm

I usually just start on the default. If it’s an old game I probably NEED easy but if it’s a modern Halo or something I just jump to hard. I’m not particularly good, but games seem generally a lot easier than they used to be.

I almost never actually go to easy. It feels like I’m not really playing the game as intended.

Return to “Video Games General”